• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

Fish and sheep! That's what we call my favourite British dish here! Superb water on the fish - great depth. For the sheep, I'll just say Tunnicliffe himself would have been pleased.

An unusual and very unfortunate recovery of a barn owl from South Ronaldsay presented me with a unique opportunity. I didn't, however, feel that I was doing the bird any real justice with the drawing, so I curtailed the effort and popped the body into the freezer for later study. Something about having to get a commission out of the way was constantly nagging away in the back of my mind (or was that Sal???!!) seemed to get in the way of the study.
Ah well - just one of those things. We can never know when a chance to make such drawings will come along.

Here's as far as I went; barn owl (alba), watercolour.

Attachments

• barnowl8.jpg
    barnowl8.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 113
The fish is completely amazing, and the composition is perfection( I don't often say that!) because the tension of the two main diagonal movements of fish and stones perfectly recreated the susupension of form that tells us the fish is in the water....amazing work

I know I have read several posts on the birds in the freezer, it seems to be quite a few by now...do you keep a freezer just for birds. I wanted to try this out and found a dead songbird, which is frozen and in with the other stuff in my tiny freezer( bird is bagged) but afraid to pull it out, what if I don't finish before it's defrosted, can I freeze it again?

The fish is completely amazing, and the composition is perfection( I don't often say that!) because the tension of the two main diagonal movements of fish and stones perfectly recreated the susupension of form that tells us the fish is in the water....amazing work

I know I have read several posts on the birds in the freezer, it seems to be quite a few by now...do you keep a freezer just for birds. I wanted to try this out and found a dead songbird, which is frozen and in with the other stuff in my tiny freezer( bird is bagged) but afraid to pull it out, what if I don't finish before it's defrosted, can I freeze it again?

I suppose you can freeze it again as long as you don't eat it! o:)

I've seen very few owls in my lifetime, so hate to say much. But it does seem like you've done a great job of getting the softness of the face and chest. Amazing what you can do with watercolor!

This piece has been on the easel for a few days and I think it's come to a conclusion of sorts.
'Brown & Green', acrylic on canvas, 24"x20"

Also thought folk may be interested in seeing the inside of the gallery - here are a couple of pics taken this afternoon.

Attachments

• Brown & Green 8.jpg
    Brown & Green 8.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0872.jpg
    DSCN0872.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0873.jpg
    DSCN0873.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 107
Love the 'brown n green' piccy......and the gallery looks great, full of big stuff, somwhere I could stand and ponder for ages (until the owner throws me out when its established I have no means of paying...)

shame that I can't see past the edge of the photo - really peering in there to have a good look at some of the ones I don't know. The hares and lappys is a delight, ah days getting longer again as of today, spring will be back! The rain's come and melted the snow - never been so grateful for the rain here!

a real "feel like I was there" moment, esp love the upper lappy whose depth and dimension is so alive.

what's in that little room behind the desk?

Thank you for the photos. This is in your house, I assume. The paintings are larger than I thought. It really looks great. I'm so glad to be able to follow and know your work--and have a few things here in our home, too! Bonnes fetes!

Andrew - you'd be more than welcome to spend as long as you like in the gallery - and you wouldn't be alone with the non-paying part of te visit ;)
Cheers Nick - I think most of the pieces have been posted on this thread at some point in the dim and distant - Joyeux Noel!
Colleen - the little room is in fact the second room in the shop - it's a bit larger tan the gallery area and I use it for storage and working in (sometimes) - then there's a kitchen and washroom.
So David, that should also answer your querie - we rent these premises from an elderly sea captain in Stromness.

Oh, hi Mike. Yes the stove's very good, however when it's really required (when the wind's in the north) we cannot use it cos the wind hits the neighbour's gable end and comes directly down the flue, filling the whole shop with smoke and fumes. I therefore use an electric radiator which sits behind my desk.
Merry Christmas.

I see the beautiful fox in there that you posted on WetCanvas. What's wrong with the picture-buying public on Orkney?? Why is that still there?

Colleen - the little room is in fact the second room in the shop - it's a bit larger tan the gallery area and I use it for storage and working in (sometimes) - then there's a kitchen and washroom.
So David, that should also answer your querie - we rent these premises from an elderly sea captain in Stromness.

Hi Tim,

I've wondered about the gallery that you occasionally mention and am happy to finally have a better idea of what it is and where. Great to see all the work there. Now just add some buyers with the wisdom to take some of it home!

That's a very interesting collection in your newest painting. Surprisingly I find the foremost hare the most appealing. I'd have thought I would have gone for the birds but the hare draws me instead. A nice surprise.

Happy Holidays!

The freezing weather continues, as it does over the whole of the Northern hemisphere, by the sounds of it. Taking the mad-dog out for twice daily walks is enough to remind me that sitting in the field isn't practicable (if I wish to stay alive) but, on a day that never even looked like getting as high as freezing, a couple of drake goldeneye and a few eiders feeding and preening off the pier were enough to entce me off my lardy and dust off the sketchbook.
I realise I haven't drawn from life for an absolute age and the quality of the early drawings bear testimony to that. Sitting in the upstairs lounge window with my little old kowa (straight eyepiece, too) was a fine way to blow away the festive cobwebs, particularly with a toasty log-fire blazing away just a couple of feet from my vantage point. The blizzards drifting across the bay add to the flavour of the scene and, if I get time, I'm sure there's a painting to be made from these sheets.

Attachments

• gold1.JPG
    gold1.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 85
  • gold2.JPG
    gold2.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 64
  • gold3.JPG
    gold3.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 63
  • gold4.JPG
    gold4.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 112
cracking stuff as always Tim, Sounds like its a tad bleak all over at the moment, not sure if anywhere is getting above celcius readings today.......
Still, with the fire roaring and a scope in hand, we can always relie on you producing somthing in this damn cold weather.....

Time for another Brandy methinks.......:smoke:

Great Goldies Tim, being away from the 'scope for a bit hasn't had an adverse effect if you ask me! Excellent use of simple lines

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back