• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

too damn well good! The glorious sunshine had me drinking beer in the park and doodling the "bearded beer bear" - did have two huzzy bunnards go over though.

Maybe I should try and make peace with my watercolours - we haven't been on speaking terms for far too long now.

too damn well good! The glorious sunshine had me drinking beer in the park and doodling the "bearded beer bear" - did have two huzzy bunnards go over though.

Maybe I should try and make peace with my watercolours - we haven't been on speaking terms for far too long now.

If anything can convince any of us to 'make peace with watercolors' I believe it is Tim's work. It's hard to choose between them though. I love the composition of the first, especially the background cliffs. But then I see the color harmonies of the second and I think it's my favorite. Then back to the first, etc., etc. Beautiful work!

Well....as regards trying to find a suitable adjective to describe those terns n eiders...has anyone used the word 'sublime' yet....?

ps...i could say more in praise but i know that i 'yak' toooo much anyway....;)

:t:

If anything can convince any of us to 'make peace with watercolors' I believe it is Tim's work. It's hard to choose between them though. I love the composition of the first, especially the background cliffs. But then I see the color harmonies of the second and I think it's my favorite. Then back to the first, etc., etc. Beautiful work!

Of course I forgot to mention the sense of light! After looking at these again I just have to go with the second as my favorite. An amazing combination of light, color, observation and mastery of watercolor.

The ducks have me groveling at your feet;) and what you are saying about temp is serendipity, I just got the "bible" of painting direct, Alla Prima, Everything I Know About Painting, by Richard Schmid and he speaks very clearly about that, I'll post a long quote on my thread, but here put a couple that are exactly what you are painting so well here.

I try to identify the temperature of the light on the subject before I start to paint, and stick to that throughout the entire course of my painting--no matter what If for some reason I cannot decide the temperature of my light source, there is the very handy fact about light and shadow to help me--cool light produces warm shadows an warm light produces cool shadows[so all I have to do is look at the shadows on my subject/QUOTE]

The temperature of the light is just about the whole ballgame as it produces all the color harmonies....This is not something I've paid much attention to, but seeing these paintings inspires me to start...

Holy F*** you guys!! It's belated, but congrats to all three of you jokers... Mike, Nick, and of course Tim!! Absolutely wonderful!!
This is my only moment for BF for another week or so. So I will check everyone else's threads then.(sorry, Tim gets first priority ;))
Congrats again you guys! Fantastic! I am sending my joy from way over here.

Oh and Tim, you've captured the light on those last two. Once again...genius.

I'm obviously a bit behind the times, here. Congratulations on your award. Some masterful stuff here, but tell me: when is your book due out? It seems we have our own answer to a certain Swede.

Russ

I'm obviously a bit behind the times, here. Congratulations on your award. Some masterful stuff here, but tell me: when is your book due out? It seems we have our own answer to a certain Swede.

Russ
Good to have you back, Russ. To answer; the book's written and with the publishers now and I can announce that "Drawing & Painting Birds" will be on the shelves this November.

Will mark that in my Diary then.......if it can help even me produce half the quality that you do...Itll be worth every sheckle...

Right sir,
I'll make room on my bookshelf ready for that one, among (in no particular order) Rose, Jonsson, Tunnicliffe, Threllfall, Bennet, Woodhead, Rees, Warren, Busby, Ennion and Mcallum. You'll be in exhalted company. I never name-drop, by the way!

Russ

Whoo Hooo Tim! how exciting! must post a link asap for where to get it....As you've shared bits and bobs with me as I've gone along here....I know this will have pride of place on my bookshelf, and also my heart! Bound to become a classic in Avian art...

Whoo Hooo Tim! how exciting! must post a link asap for where to get it....As you've shared bits and bobs with me as I've gone along here....I know this will have pride of place on my bookshelf, and also my heart! Bound to become a classic in Avian art...

can't agree more with Colleen, will defo be a great book and I can't wait till it's out!

Conratulations from me too Tim!
For both, your BBC success, and particularly because of your forthcoming book!
Can't wait to see it! Let us know please know of its release to pre-order our
copies on time!
I'm sure, it will be a collector's item!

Paschalis

Just back from Edinborough Tim, a mates stag, but feeling fine as were all old farts now;)

I can tell you the Eiders in the sun has really blown the cobwebs away. There's not much to be said really, it's that good. Your right at the top of your game here Tim and all those studies and the watercolour work have gelled in what is a quite flabbergasting piece of work.
The Arctic Terns are wonderful too off course. Completing two pieces like this back to back is like taking double olympic gold my friend...

Great to hear the book will soon be hitting the shelves....

I finally give in!!!

Didn't really want to post in case it was thought to be a little bit incestuous (!!??) - but here goes.

Have had the pleasure and the privilege to watch Tim's work develop on here over the last few years, and had the added advantage of actually seeing some of it in the flesh - so to speak.

I've done, Wow, great, hmmm, thats ok, crikey, not too sure, wow, brilliant, wow (lots of wows) etc etc,

Absolutely loved the Terns, then clicked on the Eiders.....

There is something about this painting that sets it apart from the rest - absolutely stunning plus another adjective or three that I haven't quite decided on...

That male Eider in the front that seems to be gazing off into ... who knows where.

Many many congratulations Tim - where do you go from here!!!!

Cheers,

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back