• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

Its always close with Rob. I need some woodland post breeding dispersal. We are well matched on waders, I win on Seabirds and migrants, Rob wins on Wildfowl.

That's a fair assessment. We are usually ahead until spring migration kicks in, after which it's an uphill struggle! Shortage of passerine migrants is probably where we lose out.

Rob

That's a fair assessment. We are usually ahead until spring migration kicks in, after which it's an uphill struggle! Shortage of passerine migrants is probably where we lose out.

Rob

You win on freshwater waders too - still need Greenshank and one other Tringa beyond Redshank is all I dare home for. Might get Manxie today - though no sign so far and Ineed to go out soon.

So, following a re-sighting of possibly the same bird over west about 20-25 miles away later l think I should say

83 : Great white egret !

Bonza! Hats off Half2, and may it keep coming west!

Hobby (70) shot through nice and low yesterday evening, a fairly typical arrival date for me here.

James

Vilnius garden still doing pretty well ...Common Terns flying over daily and the midnight hour is rewarded with a Bittern booming from afar, neat to get this pecies from both my plots.

Off for a couple of days now, time for Half2 to go storming ahead again...

Yeah, right! I'm on 7am - 7 pm shifts for three days, fat chance!

Well, maybe not!

06:30 this morning, having a cuppa on my front doorstep, on my way out to work, when, among the Chaffinch & Blackbird & Robin song a less familiar chuckle-rattle from the trees: a third garden record only of

84: Lesser whitethroat

singing in the grey drizzle!

Gettin!!

Edit: At 19:15, arriving home in rain I again heard the distinctive song briefly!

Last edited:
I had one get away today - what looked to be a Cory's Shearwater. Too far out to claim, but it appeared to have a concolourous head, rather brown upperparts, white underparts and was careening. I could see the heads on Fulmars ok. Manxie on the list safely - a few out there this morning.1000+waders, but no stints or BB Sand alas

A Broad-billed Sand has seen my garden today, alas I've only seen it away from the garden so far! The evening tide may push the balance in my favour!

FINALLY 107/199 Broad-billed Sandpiper. Must have clocked half a million Dunlin (same birds multiple times) to get it from home. I've got good at finding it at low tide, but not high tide when its visible from the house!

Still got time for a good warbler this spring.... or a Shrike or Tawny Pipit. The safest bet is Glaucous Gull, but I've been saying that for 10 years now. More chance of an Ivory!

An ever nearing 'rattle' finally obliged overhead...as I pished it out..Lesser Whitethroat! probably my last Spring garden tick?...puts me on 66.

I feel rather feeble looking at all of these massive yearlists, some of which already beating my entire garden total! I've hardly done any garden birding recently so still missing plenty of easy stuff, however today I managed to add:
62 - Swift

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back