• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Visitors (3 Viewers)

Berkshire OB Pipit

Hi Paul
My pipit actually stayed around for the best part of 2 months. 19th Feb - 15th April. It was certainly a shock to me when I first saw it on the lawn. Fortunately I had seen one previously on the Scillies so I was quite happy with the id, although I did have to pinch myself to make sure I wasnt dreaming! Other less glamorous highlights have been a spring male pied flycatcher and regular bramblings. I added a flyover common tern to the garden list this summer, not bad for a council estate in land locked Berkshire.
Dave

Hi Dave,
The reason that your OBP sticks in my memory so much is because I was pretty hardcore about my local [Berkshire] birding from '78 to'82, but went through a period from '83 to '85 during which I phased really badly [I put it down to the hormones of adolescence]. Anyway the downside of this is that even though I was living in Bracknell in Priestwood, I couldn't be bothered to get my teenage arse over to see your bird.
I have had plenty of time to regret my tardiness [I knew it was there and at the time I did have your address from another birder], but I kept putting it off until it was too late.
I also went to the Scillies [in 85 and 86 but not since] and I am yet to add OBP to my list.
The moral of this is obviously that if you get a chance of an easy tick you should still take it because you never know when the relevant bird will make itself available again!
I moved from Bracknell in '85 for Bristol and I am currently in London where I keep up with all things Berkshire based with www.berksbirds.com.
Thanks for he email, the folly of youth eh?
Paul

Fly over list?

My fly over list:
House Sparrow
Starling
Greenfinch
Boeing 767
Pipstrelle Bat
Motorised Hang-Glider
Neighbours kids football
400 Pink Footed Geese
8-P

YARDBIRDING and Gardenlists

Hi

I have also counted the species I've seen on or from my yard. The list is now 159 species long
thats a rather good number for the northern parts of Sweden (140 km south of the Arctic Circle)

But you can get other visitors than birds ...

This Saturday we have our annual "National Champinship in Yard-Birding" in Sweden. 98 yards all over the country participated last year.

Day-light from 05.00-20.00 and I will be out!

Keep Your fingers crossed.

Peter

Attachments

• ermine.jpg
    ermine.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 169
Garden Rarity!!

Hi Funky
House Sparrow! Lucky you. They are a major rarity in my garden. I had 2 fly over about 5 years ago and last year I saw one on my neighbours roof, I'm still waiting for one to be tempted down to the feeders etc and actually touch down, but I'm not holding my breath.
Dave

Garden OBP

Hi Paul
Sorry you missed my OBP, it seemed like most of the world came to see it! At the time a winter record was unique but since then there have been a few. and would you believe it one actually stayed in a garden again, this time in Paignton. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before you connect with one if your really serious about seeing one. Good Luck
Dave

Had visitors this year in my only tree. Pair of wood pigeons nested in it. Just a rough platform of twigs and we could easily watch the birds as they took it in turns to hatch out the two eggs. The female did a 12 hour day shift and the male the night shift. For the first time in my life I found out the name for a young pigeon nestling. They are called squabs but I expect most of you will know this.....happy bird watching..ruddyduck!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back