• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going "retro" with the Nikon Coolpix 8400 (1 Viewer)

Neil

When I originally decided on the Olympus 7070wz, after several experienced digiscopers were getting good results from the 5060, I had the Nikon 8400 on the shortlist of two. I always wanted to try out the EVF (electronic viewfinder ) because I thought that this could take digiscoping to a new level. I know a lot of people are going to DSLR and scopes to get the same effect but I'm still a "purist" digiscoper. For only a little more money I could have got the Olympus 330 DSLR .Anyway my mate Bob is enjoying his 8400 and getting good results so I dug deep and paid out US$700 for a 3 year old technolgy digicam. There are still 4 more at this price in Hong Kong if anyone still wants one.
I tested it first on the Swarovski zoom using the DCA but it needs more eye relief than that so I hooked it up on my trusty Swarovski 30x , using the zoom DCA and a third-party lens adapter with a 52 mm thread. You have to be a little careful when starting up the camera as the lens can touch the scope eyepiece ( the zoom DCA is slightly different to the fixed eyepiece DCA ). I know this is old news to the long time users of this digicam but I had a lot of fun with it today so thought I would share my first impressions.
Lot's of buttons for all the features which means you don't have to keep going into menus to change things. Has plenty of resolutions choices from RAW,Tiff to various levels of JPEG. It has one which it calls Extra which only has a compression of 1:2. I used this today. I has a fast Continuous Mode which takes up to 5 images at 2.3 frames/second. It also has a 5 shot buffer which only saves the last 5 frames in a continuous sequence (0.7 frames per second ). This a feature I liked on the Fuji F30. It has an iso of 50 which is nice for static subects in reasonable light. But what I had much fun with was the EVF. Very quick to get on the subject looking through a straight scope and focus was easy too. These photos were taken this way. No Remote was used in the taking of these photos as I think the battery was flat after sitting in the box for years.
The first photo showing the vignetting was taken at wide on the zoom with the DCA backed off about 2 mm otherwise the lenses touch. The second photo shows the view when the vignetting disappears , and the others were taken using the EVF and Continuous Mode. The last photo of the Long-tailed Shrike was slightly cropped and downsized for posting , otherwise as it came out of the camera. I will rate the camera after I've had a few days experience with it. Neil.

Attachments

• vignetting.8400.wide DSCN0044.jpg
    vignetting.8400.wide DSCN0044.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 174
  • vignetting.8400.8.7mm DSCN0045.jpg
    vignetting.8400.8.7mm DSCN0045.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 159
  • wb waterhen DSCN0063.jpg
    wb waterhen DSCN0063.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 225
  • sooty headed bulbulDSCN0145.jpg
    sooty headed bulbulDSCN0145.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 216
  • long tailed shrike.orig DSCN0119.jpg
    long tailed shrike.orig DSCN0119.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 245
"That is just so 2004." ;)

I wish today's digicams could produce as natural colours, details and gradients as that 2004 technology. A great camera indeed - as eg. Yossi has demonstrated.

Ilkka

The Nikon 8400 indeed has a nice color tone as the attached photo's show.

Attachments

• DSCN3317xwxw.jpg
    DSCN3317xwxw.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN2969xkk.jpg
    DSCN2969xkk.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN2105xxw.jpg
    DSCN2105xxw.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Bob, your duck photo shows this well. My impression today was the the colors looked smoother and there was less noise in the shadows than the 7070wz. I'll do a side-by-side comparison asap. Neil.

Fantastic !

Neil, I've been following your inspiring threads about the different cameras with great joy.
Even though you liked the F30 very much, I always felt the image out of the camera is not in the same league as in the A95, CP4500 or the Oly7070. The 8400 easily gets into this list (and heading it to my opinion), the Image quality here is just superb, a good pointer to what happened in the Digital Camera world - manufactures have lowered the level of DSLRs and in order not to affect the sales of these, they are no longer making good P&S such as the ones I mentioned. Unfortunately to us digiscopers.

While I was waiting for the ferry today a small group of Little Egrets were flying around the harbour. I thought it would be fun to try out the Electronic Viewfinder for a flight shot. Here are a few of my first attempts. I set the camera at Infinity focus and then tried to adjust focus a little as they flew. Next time I'll manually set the Exposure as well. Neil
ps the Black Kite photo was shot at about 200 meters in very hazy conditions so quality not good.

Attachments

• little egret.flight.8400 DSCN0219.jpg
    little egret.flight.8400 DSCN0219.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 180
  • little egret.takeoff.8400 DSCN0225.jpg
    little egret.takeoff.8400 DSCN0225.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 231
  • black kite.flight.8400 DSCN0197.jpg
    black kite.flight.8400 DSCN0197.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 226
why don't nikon upgraded the coolpix 8400 mainly for digiscoping i.e the optical zoom and battery, instead of introducing lots of newer models whereas only few of them is suitable for digiscoping like the P1 and P4 (but still results from these cameras appears to be soft compared with coolpix 4500 and 8400)

has anyone mentioned this to the nikon company ?

All in the name of progress, but at times is progress being made. Depends on your viewpoint. The camera manufacturers are more interested in selling cameras to the masses of millions rather than a couple of hundred thousand birders, it is all about business. Can't argue with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back