• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagles (1 Viewer)

astley

If you were going out to spot golden Eagle, where would you go, is there a reserve or area where you are able to view??

Thanks

Go to Mull, you have a good chance of getting both White-tailed and Golden Eagle.

David

Any particular area you would recommend, is there a reserve or just Mull in general.

Not going yet trying to book a couple of days for the summer hols, my 10 year old has decided golden Eagle is his target bird for the year

There`s a solitary male Golden Eagle at Haweswater in The Lake District. There`s an RSPB viewpoint that is staffed on weekends 11-4 and Bank Holidays. It`s a mile and a halfs walk into Riggindale valley from the car park.

Depends how far you want to travel, alternatively, Mull is an amazing place and has numerous Eagle hotspots, i`ve had most joy in Glen More and on the road between Loch Schridain and Loch Na Keal.

cheers

Any particular area you would recommend, is there a reserve or just Mull in general.

Not going yet trying to book a couple of days for the summer hols, my 10 year old has decided golden Eagle is his target bird for the year

Just Mull in general.

David

Glen More is a hotspot for Goldies on Mull. Head south from Craignure and you'll soon be in eagle country.

Just keep scanning the skylines - or if you want to pretty much guarantee a sighting, you could book onto a wildlife tour.

Mull has the densest population of goldies in Europe (they are widespread not thick...) so you should get lucky...

bestest kev

Not going yet trying to book a couple of days for the summer hols, my 10 year old has decided golden Eagle is his target bird for the year[/QUOTE]

Best of luck to you both. Golden eagle was my target bird for about 10 years!
Then saw my first one whilst waiting for the Glenelg ferry over to Skye. Talk about elated!!

Sandra

Mull is the best place obviously but even then the Goldies can be very distant unless you are lucky.

Obviously from Leicester, a day out to Rigginsdale/Haweswater is easier, they have telescope on hand and there is a good chance you will see it. No absolute guarantees of course. Pick a nice sunny day, its half an hour reasonable walk from the car park at the end of Haweswater, following the path round to the right of the reservoir and then the path follows left - its obvious when you are there.

Best to go April time when it should be displaying.

Hi Astley (apologies for confusion!)
We spent a week on Mull, staying in Tobermory.
I went on a Safari with my namesake and it was excellent. If you do it early in your stay, you can then retrace your steps to where you saw otter, sea eagles and Goldies. We had wonderful views of a goldie on its cliff nest.
Of course if you go to Loch Frisa to the RSPB point, you stand a good chance of see Skye and Frisa, the sea eagles.
Pics below................... have a super time!

Then saw my first one whilst waiting for the Glenelg ferry over to Skye. Talk about elated!!

Sandra[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Mull Safari.jpg
    Mull Safari.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Mull_otter.jpg
    Mull_otter.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Tobermory,-Isle-of-Mull.jpg
    Tobermory,-Isle-of-Mull.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Of course if you go to Loch Frisa to the RSPB point, you stand a good chance of see Skye and Frisa, the sea eagles.

I think the watchpoint has changed now June, as per last year. Therefore, two different eagles I think (?) But meeting point & directions will be given on booking a place. Hope this treat is still running at beg. of October when we'll be there,

S

I went on a Safari with my namesake and it was excellent. If you do it early in your stay, you can then retrace your steps to where you saw otter, sea eagles and Goldies. We had wonderful views of a goldie on its cliff nest.

Sandra
[/QUOTE]

The quotes in the box of your email credited to me aren't mine June. I don't have a 10-year old! Mine's 40! LOL I'm referring to a previous posting - not this one!

Sandra

Last edited:
I'd concur with June here. Richard's tours are first rate. He's also a really decent bloke.

Rich

Sandra
[/QUOTE]

Skye seems to be an easy place to see them. I've just come back from a week there and saw them on all but one day. Admittedly conditions were far from typical - sunshine and blue skies every day.

The sea eagles proved a bit more tricky.

Re Haweswater: I visisted in August or some such time alst year and was told the last eagle hadn't been seen for weeks and was missing presumed dead. Can anyone actually confirm a) that the viewpoint is in operation this year b) that the eagle has returned? (not that I need it, as I had one in Glenbrittle on Skye...WT eagle, though, that I couldn't find anywhere this year...no luck at all at Gruinard Island :(

If you are on the Ross of Mull (or anywhere toward the south of the island) I would strongly recommend a day out with Bryan Rains - top bloke with a knack for picking up some humdingers.....

Check out his blog - some great shots of goldies talon-grappling....

http://www.begbits.blogspot.co.uk/

Bestest kev

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back