• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Grebe identification help (1 Viewer)

Buckster

Wondered if can help with the ID of the following please - I do excuse quality of photo best I could do with my camera/lens setup

Seen yesterday at high tide on The Crouch (Essex)

My initial thought was Red Necked Grebe but as they are relatively rare this part of the country (only a few sightings a year) I was looking for further advice please

Other person I was with afterwards said fairly certain it had a yellow bill with darker tip but I didn’t look myself at the bill in detail at the time

Thanks for any advice - much appreciated

Attachments

• E55475D3-F894-4E76-B220-7FEFC5EB4628.jpeg
    E55475D3-F894-4E76-B220-7FEFC5EB4628.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 235
Thank you very much for the replies

I was walking along sea wall between burnham and althorne

Going to see if can get any better photos today as that was the only photo of any worth

Thanks again and much appreciated

Might be photo artifact, but it looks like a narrow white chin-strap extending up the side of the neck, and arguably the bill looks yellow. Leaning Red-necked.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back