• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s UK Birding List 2023 (1 Viewer)

Work took me down to the Carms/Pembs border yesterday. Absolutely beautiful place to drive around and finally felt like spring had arrived. Dipped on Hoopoe on my way home at Ferryside but they’re a few Swallows knocking around.

Dropped into Caws Cenarth cheese as well. 100% recommended. Picked up some Golden Cenarth and Perl Wen ready for the Easter weekend 👍

153. Swallow

Headed down to Crymlyn Bog this morning. Pretty much because I knew it’d be the only quiet area on Good Friday.

Good numbers of Willow Warblers have arrived and there was a decent back up cast of Bullfinch, Cettis, ChiffChaffs, Ravens, Blackcaps etc.

A little unexpected though was my 1st Redpoll of the year. Very pleased with this. And the boy was impeccably well behaved which is always a bonus.

154. Lesser Redpoll

Attachments

• FAB047AB-A7DE-4FBF-9874-D4886A04D1B7.jpeg
    FAB047AB-A7DE-4FBF-9874-D4886A04D1B7.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • DED2532A-FF91-41FC-8A77-12FA17E73CE3.jpeg
    DED2532A-FF91-41FC-8A77-12FA17E73CE3.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 2
First birding session with Kev since last year. Always a good laugh.

Headed over the dry side of the bridge. Spent most of our time at Ham Wall with a brief trip to the coast. Absolutely stunning at Ham Wall. Felt like we’re really moving into a different season. A lot less Wigeon around and plenty of Warblers singing away.

Finished the day with 72 species which is pretty good going for us. My day list bogey bird remained off it again though. It’s amazing how many times I do a day list and don’t see a Coal Tit!🤣

Highlights of the day were watching a couple of Kingfishers fishing, heaps of Marsh Harriers, Bitterns booming, Garganey and my only year tick for the day - Spotted Redshank

155. Spotted Redshank

Hammering down in Neath this morning. But the pup still needed a walk so we headed down to Llanellishire. Fortunately the rain stopped on the way and the sun came out.

At Sandy Water Park it was a case of third time lucky for the Little Gull. Showed very well but always kept relatively distant.

156. Little Gull

Had a local walk with Rob today looking for migrants. Dipped Little Owl at 2 separate sites. And quiet at Pant Norton.

Managed a couple of year ticks at Kenfig Pool. House Martin and Wheatear. And now the pup is tired out 😂

157. House Martin
158. Wheatear

Attachments

• B213296D-2284-49F5-9D07-90721E111201.jpeg
    B213296D-2284-49F5-9D07-90721E111201.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
Stopped off at Ham Wall on our way home today and added the following.

169. Sedge Warbler
170. Whimbrel
171. Hobby
172. Garden Warbler
173. Great Reed Warbler - Lifer #5🎉🎉

Lifelist now 319

Well done on the lifer, a few people when I was there made do with very fleeting views and left before it just about showed, Amy had it showing incredibly well later on though. I had a point blank garden warbler about 20m from the great reed on my way there but had my camera in the bag. Never have managed to photograph one but my mind was on the great reed at the time.

Well done on the hobby as well, one of the joys of ham wall. Two guys called one prematurely when I was there but it turned out to be a swift. First swift is always cool though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back