• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2023 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Well we’ve just booked the first trip of the year. The youngest has an inset day at the beginning of February so the two of us are going for 3 nights to North Norfolk. Have booked a Sheperd’s hut via Airbnb in Docking. We both like it here - great chippy, very good pub with tasty food (The Railway Inn) and good access to all the reserves.

The following week we have a family holiday to Nethybridge. Can’t wait for this. Walking the hound through Abernethy forest is just the most relaxing activity. With hopefully some decent birds around as well.

Nothing else booked yet other than a week with friends to Phoenix and Vegas. Might take my bins but not sure yet. Will be in November. The first couple of nights will be at Lake Havasu so there might be something to see.

Rich

So we left Neath yesterday. I messed up a bit in that I was on a course in Merthyr. So had to return to Neath to pick up Max and then head back East to Norfolk.

The Sheperd’s Hut we’ve booked is a cracker. Great location just outside of Docking. Will put a link on later.

This morning we headed to Abbey Farm. Very cold and pretty quiet tbh. No sign of any Little Owls again.

Then it was off to meet Rob and Barry at Holkham. Whilst walking down to the roped off area the message came through that the Long-eared Owl was back at Cley. Back to the car and then we met the Rob and Barry there instead. The Owl was showing amazingly well. A lifer for me and Max.

Back to Holkham. There were a few Common Snipe, Ruff and Golden Plovers in amongst the Wigeon. A Sparrowhawk went through as well. Down to the left of the gap we had decent views of 8 Shore Larks. The tide was out so I decided against a sea watch. Max was beginning to flag and I need to make this weekend enjoyable for him. So back to the cottage for a quick relax.

Next it was off to Warham Greens. Brent Goose was a year tick for me and a Barn Owl gave amazing views. A couple of Marsh Harriers flew past before our target bird reappeared. A female Pallid Harrier. Not brilliant views as the light was beginning to fade but lifer number 2 for me and Max.

Our only disappointment of the day came when the Panda Kitchen in Burnham Market was closed until the end of the month. Chippy in Docking is excellent though.

Just put the log burner on and settling down for the evening. Below is the view from the cottage at 6:30ish this morning and the Owl.

Attachments

• DB0ECDD8-9AE7-4793-AD33-6F9AADF4FBEC.jpeg
    DB0ECDD8-9AE7-4793-AD33-6F9AADF4FBEC.jpeg
    8.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 7AB7DE76-33F6-4617-9140-BEC7271F7978.jpeg
    7AB7DE76-33F6-4617-9140-BEC7271F7978.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 98C4BE2B-124F-4BEB-8F67-EB93B9A978F5.jpeg
    98C4BE2B-124F-4BEB-8F67-EB93B9A978F5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
Managed to get a couple of year ticks whilst eating our breakfast in the hut this morning- Grey Partridge and Fieldfare.

Next it was off to meet Rob and Barry at Titchwell. Stopped off on the way at a field Rob had noted yesterday. Big flock still there. Mostly Chaffinches but also a few Brambling and Reed Buntings.

Some decent birds at Titchwell included Marsh Harrier, Goldeneye, Red-throated Diver, Red-necked Grebe, Golden and Grey Plovers. Couldn’t pin down the Black-necked Grebe that Rob was on though.

Went back to Clay in the afternoon. 5 Snow Buntings flew over us on the beach and the Long Billed Dowitcher showed very well. Another Barn Owl flew across the car on the way home but that’s pretty much the end to two fantastic days in North Norfolk. Max and I celebrated with a decent meal in the Railway Inn and we might stop off somewhere on the way tomorrow. Not 100% sure though as truth be told we’re both looking forward to seeing the dog. 👍

Attachments

• 1F9C660C-3BA4-407E-B769-26C579F30172.jpeg
    1F9C660C-3BA4-407E-B769-26C579F30172.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Decided against looking for the Goose this morning as I needed to make the weekend enjoyable for Max. And scanning through 1000’s of Pink foots wouldn’t be enjoyable for him.

So we planned our route home via a quick stop at Welney. Had a great view of another Barn Owl and some Whoopers and Bewicks in the fields around there. On the feeders there were several Tree Sparrows which were also a year tick.

And that was it. Journey home was pretty uneventful until we found the A465 closed by Hirwaun. Everyone then redirected through the Rhigos. Not fun. Must say we had a great weekend though. Always good to catch up with Rob and Barry and Max really enjoyed himself. Think he had 5 lifers in the end - Brambling, Pallid Harrier, Red-necked Grebe, Long-billed Dowitcher and Long-eared Owl. We ended up on 99 species for the trip. Ignore the date on the photo. The camera reset the date for some reason ??

Home now for a week before we head up to the Cairngorms as a family. Can’t wait.

Attachments

• 85C9D93F-E1E3-48CD-A794-A63238EDB05E.jpeg
    85C9D93F-E1E3-48CD-A794-A63238EDB05E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
Left Neath at 03:00 yesterday. Quiet drive up. Stopped briefly at Barons Haugh reserve to look for the reported Waxwing but dipped. Nice place with some friendly dog walkers around. Didn’t spend long in the hide due to the strong smell of urine😳 A few Goldeneye and Gadwall around.

Stocked up on cheese at Rothiemurchus and meat from the Nethy Bridge butchers. Disappointing the local Spar has closed though. I saw John mentioned it on Twitter.

Down to Loch Garten. A few Goldeneye on the Loch but the path to the centre was closed for works.

The cottage itself is a cracker. Will post a link later.

Rich

Up at 06:00 this morning. Cooked breakfast - bacon, black pudding, Lorne sausage and Haggis. Then off for a circular walk along the river with the boy.

Siskins and Goldfinches on the feeders immediately downstream from the bridge and a Dipper from the footbridge further up. Very relaxing if a bit nippy.

Attachments

• 4E41E6CD-A0C4-435B-B49B-14F0990B879B.jpeg
    4E41E6CD-A0C4-435B-B49B-14F0990B879B.jpeg
    8.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 0FDF7A0C-DC5B-4320-BE66-A6EC7096C75C.jpeg
    0FDF7A0C-DC5B-4320-BE66-A6EC7096C75C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • EBAA3449-5951-4637-B58F-BFAC161C23A5.jpeg
    EBAA3449-5951-4637-B58F-BFAC161C23A5.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 18
Went for a wander around Anagach Woods with the pup after breakfast. Always manage to lose my way here. Nothing in the feeders by the curling rink but the boy smelt a Roe Deer before I saw it. He’s always on the lead as he will chase the deer. In the car park just past the leisure centre 3 Red Squirrels were in the feeders.

Back to the cottage to pick my OH and other 2 boys up. Plan was to go to Burghead but the weather was a bit grim so we went to stock up in Inverness Tesco via Lochindorb. Lochindorb was very choppy. Picked out a couple of Goldeneye and a female Goosander with a couple of Red Grouse at the side of the road. Between Lochindorb and the coast we stumbled across one of my favourite birds. A flock at least a couple of hundred strong on Pink-footed Geese were in a field. At Nairn a quick scan gave a large flock of Wigeon and some Common Scoters. Also had a good sized flock of Fieldfares out the of back of Nethy.

Shopping completed we headed back to Nethy. Stuffed the pork with garlic and shoved it in the oven and went for a walk along the river with the boy. Dipper was much closer to the road bridge this afternoon.

Looks like my youngest has picked up an ear infection so tomorrow will likely be in the GP.

Attachments

• 28330E86-84EC-4A01-9813-0816F3402449.jpeg
    28330E86-84EC-4A01-9813-0816F3402449.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
Left Neath at 03:00 yesterday. Quiet drive up. Stopped briefly at Barons Haugh reserve to look for the reported Waxwing but dipped. Nice place with some friendly dog walkers around. Didn’t spend long in the hide due to the strong smell of urine😳 A few Goldeneye and Gadwall around.

Stocked up on cheese at Rothiemurchus and meat from the Nethy Bridge butchers. Disappointing the local Spar has closed though. I saw John mentioned it on Twitter.

Down to Loch Garten. A few Goldeneye on the Loch but the path to the centre was closed for works.

The cottage itself is a cracker. Will post a link later.

Rich
Shame about the Spar shop :( :(

Thanks all. GP service was first class. Though did mistake him for a girl. 😂 He does have gorgeous long hair. Anyway. He’s got ear infections in both ears. Hopefully the antibiotics will sort it quickly.

Did hear a GSW whilst waiting for him at the GP.

Did the Broomhill trail this morning with the hound. Lovely walk. A few LTT’s were seen and the boy picked up the scent of a Roe Deer again. A skein of PFG’s went over as well.

The boys decided they wanted to see some snow. Headed up Cairngorm via the Highland Bakery. Very little snow around tbh. And couldn’t locate any Buntings. The boys managed to get soaked so I dropped them back at the house. A few more PFG’s behind the Greylags at mains of Garten.

Finished the day off with a walk around Loch Garten with the boy. Very quiet tbh. Thought it was my hearing but Merlin wasn’t picking anything up either. With the exception of a Green-winged Teal!! Suspect it was the whistling noise coming from the boys nostrils that was confusing it😂

Attachments

• 5C470C3D-FE7D-4A13-B733-4F5D0029B803.jpeg
    5C470C3D-FE7D-4A13-B733-4F5D0029B803.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back