• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Zeiss (Victory SF)? (1 Viewer)

mauriciolacruz

Spain
Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Zeiss (Victory SF)?

How do they stand each other?

Thanks.

For your information, I do already own the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8.5x44 and the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 10.5x44.

I just want to know the opinion of those who have compared any of the Genesis Prominar XD line vs the Alphas.

Thank you.

I compared Kowa XD Prominar 10x42 with Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 side by side. So Kowa vs a mid-range Zeiss model, not the top Victory.. But I compared Victory SF 10x42 vs Conquest 10x42 side by side because I owned Conquest and SF Victory at the same time. So Conquest vs Kowa in direct comparation, and Kowa vs SF indirect comparation with "help" of Conquest vs SF direct comparation.
I will not go into detail related to the technical aspects of the specifications, but only emphasize the results related to the image quality and my direct experience with these 3 binoculars.
Kowa has a much more compact construction than Conquest (and of course than SF 10x42), but it pays with a smaller eye relief, not very good for those with glasses. Kowa's finishes are top notch. Has a very smooth and accurate focus wheel, just like Conquest. Victory SF it takes the focus system even to a level of excellence.
The resolution in the center is a little better in Conquest and SF than Kowa
The resolution on the edges extends a little more to the Conquest even if it has a larger FOV (6.6 vs 6.2 degrees), but the Kowa has enough clarity (about 85% of the FOV). SF is the leader here, even with greater FOV 6.8 degrees it has an expansion of clarity at least 90% of the FOV
Daytime brightness was subjectively higher in the Conquest and SF
The color rendering is a little cooler on Kowa than on the Conquest and SF
Chromatic aberrations are a little better managed by Kowa than Conquest, very good performance, maybe similar to SF
Similar and very good glare resistance in Kowa and Conquest and in SF even a little better!
Maybe it's useful for you!

Last edited:
I compared Kowa XD Prominar 10x42 with Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 side by side. So Kowa vs a mid-range Zeiss model, not the top Victory.. But I compared Victory SF 10x42 vs Conquest 10x42 side by side because I owned Conquest and SF Victory at the same time. So Conquest vs Kowa in direct comparation, and Kowa vs SF indirect comparation with "help" of Conquest vs SF direct comparation.
I will not go into detail related to the technical aspects of the specifications, but only emphasize the results related to the image quality and my direct experience with these 3 binoculars.
Kowa has a much more compact construction than Conquest (and of course than SF 10x42), but it pays with a smaller eye relief, not very good for those with glasses. Kowa's finishes are top notch. Has a very smooth and accurate focus wheel, just like Conquest. Victory SF it takes the focus system even to a level of excellence.
The resolution in the center is a little better in Conquest and SF than Kowa
The resolution on the edges extends a little more to the Conquest even if it has a larger FOV (6.6 vs 6.2 degrees), but the Kowa has enough clarity (about 85% of the FOV). SF is the leader here, even with greater FOV 6.8 degrees it has an expansion of clarity at least 90% of the FOV
Daytime brightness was subjectively higher in the Conquest and SF
The color rendering is a little cooler on Kowa than on the Conquest and SF
Chromatic aberrations are a little better managed by Kowa than Conquest, very good performance, maybe similar to SF
Similar and very good glare resistance in Kowa and Conquest and in SF even a little better!
Maybe it's useful for you!
Thank you very much for your detailed comments / comparison. 👍🏻

But are you sure you had the Genesis Prominar XD? The format you mentioned (10x42) is featured on the BD II XD model (lower series) while the Genesis Prominar XD (higher series) is 10.5x44.

Thank you very much for your detailed comments / comparison. 👍🏻

But are you sure you had the Genesis Prominar XD? The format you mentioned (10x42) is featured on the BD II XD model (lower series) while the Genesis Prominar XD (higher series) is 10.5x44.
You are right! It was Kowa Prominar BD XD

I compared the Kowa 10.5x44 to my Zeiss HT 10x42 in 2013 and went with the Zeiss because I liked the overall features like the focusing wheel, Abbe Konig prisms, overall handling, and lessor weight a bit better.
Glasswise, I thought the Kowa was outstanding and was very close in quality to my HT.

I compared the Kowa 10.5x44 to my Zeiss HT 10x42 in 2013 and went with the Zeiss because I liked the overall features like the focusing wheel, Abbe Konig prisms, overall handling, and lessor weight a bit better.
Glasswise, I thought the Kowa was outstanding and was very close in quality to my HT.
I have an Abbe-Koenig prisms bino (Blaser Primus 8x56) and it certainly is brighter than my 8.5x44 Genesis, but not by much.

Seriously, do you think a single thread might have sufficed instead of five: "How does Kowa Genesis compare to the alphas"? Not that it hasn't been asked before, if you care to use the Search feature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back