• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Leica (Noctivid)? (2 Viewers)

mauriciolacruz

Spain
Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Leica (Noctivid)?

How do they stand each other?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you are after opinions on the Kowa you may be better just starting one thread asking that.
No, I'm not. I do already own the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8.5x44 and the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 10.5x44.

I just want to know the opinion of those who have compared any of the Genesis Prominar XD line vs the Alphas.

Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Leica (Noctivid)?

How do they stand each other?

Thanks.
I have compared the 8x33 to the Leica UV+ 8x32. Build and finish are very nice with the Genesis. Glare is very well controlled and certainly on par with the Leica. CA are virtually non-existent in the Kowa. The reason I passed the Kowas on was their very poor sharpness across the field. My copy was sharp in the center. But the sweet spot was tiny. I often struggled to get a sharp image. Maybe I had a bad copy. But then, I had the same problem with the first copy I had years ago. I didn't like the screw-up eyecups either because they left shiny scratches inside the eye box, which resulted in some irritating reflections. I really wanted to like the Genesis (that's why I purchased a second copy) but they're just not on Leica level. I doubt the larger x44 could compete with a Noctivid.

If serviceability matters to you, be aware that no-one even knows who manufactures the Genesis binoculars. A Leica can be sent in after decades. Many users here are very fond of the Leica service in Europe. So am I.

I have compared the 8x33 to the Leica UV+ 8x32. Build and finish are very nice with the Genesis. Glare is very well controlled and certainly on par with the Leica. CA are virtually non-existent in the Kowa. The reason I passed the Kowas on was their very poor sharpness across the field. My copy was sharp in the center. But the sweet spot was tiny. I often struggled to get a sharp image. Maybe I had a bad copy. But then, I had the same problem with the first copy I had years ago. I didn't like the screw-up eyecups either because they left shiny scratches inside the eye box, which resulted in some irritating reflections. I really wanted to like the Genesis (that's why I purchased a second copy) but they're just not on Leica level. I doubt the larger x44 could compete with a Noctivid.

If serviceability matters to you, be aware that no-one even knows who manufactures the Genesis binoculars. A Leica can be sent in after decades. Many users here are very fond of the Leica service in Europe. So am I.
Yes, you are right. No one knows who manufactures Kowa Genesis Prominar XD line binoculars.

Kowa Europe (in Germany) assures (I have their e-mail) they are made in Japan, but they refuse to say where. That's an implicit estatement to recognize they are NOT in-house made by Kowa, but by a third party maker (most likely Kamakura?)

Nevertheless, even not having compared them with any Alpha (well, I do also own a Blaser Primus 8x56), my eyes tell me that these Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8.5x44 and 10.5x44 are superb.

Nevertheless, even not having compared them with any Alpha (well, I do also own a Blaser Primus 8x56), my eyes tell me that these Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8.5x44 and 10.5x44 are superb.
I may have had two lemons. Possible.

If you think your Kowas are superb, be happy and enjoy them. Don't try and compare them to Noctivids. Ask a Buddhist about comparisons.

I may have had two lemons. Possible.

If you think your Kowas are superb, be happy and enjoy them. Don't try and compare them to Noctivids. Ask a Buddhist about comparisons.
Well, I'm pretty sure that, comparing them each other or not, the Noctivids would blow me away (despite its narrow FOV)!

Your Genesis model was the 8x33, that is different than the 8.5x44 (which apparently is far better than the 8x33 as far as I've read).

I compared the Kowa 8x33 to the Zeiss Conquest, and had them about equal.
Both very good, but not as good as the very best.
But anyone I should be happy with them I would imagine.
I could live with either to be fair.

Yes, you are right. No one knows who manufactures Kowa Genesis Prominar XD line binoculars.

Kowa Europe (in Germany) assures (I have their e-mail) they are made in Japan, but they refuse to say where. That's an implicit estatement to recognize they are NOT in-house made by Kowa, but by a third party maker (most likely Kamakura?)

I am wondering about your questions also. You like the Kowa, but have you tried them yourself compared to the
alphas ? I think that would be a good place to start. Kowa is not a very popular binocular, so there may be a lack
of comparisons.
Jerry

Can I suggest something? I have learned to do this myself when comparing two or more objects if I already own one of them. You have the Kowa's, you know them very well and like them. It's pointless to convince yourself that something else would be better or worse based on other people's opinions. The best course of action would be to either visit a Leica store, or order them online and compare from the comfort of your home for a few days. You will have your answer then and might also help others with your observations.

I have had the little Kowa 8x33 for a short time and really liked the haptics, but optically I found they were inferior to the Retrovid. I concur jafritten's observations above. I did not get along that well with the Noctivid, besides really liking the build quality and wanting them to be my only bins before trying them out. But I never compared these two at the same time. YMMV

edit.

I failed to notice the timestamp of the OP and the thread bump, so this is probably a useless post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back