• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose? (5 Viewers)

I just started Birding at the start of August this year. I already have 2 Pair. Swarovski NL 10 x 32, and just today the Curio 7 x 21. I travel one week a month and wanted a pocket to take along. The NL I use around the neighborhood and great Cleveland Metro Park System that starts less than 1/2 mile from my home.

I just started Birding at the start of August this year. I already have 2 Pair. Swarovski NL 10 x 32, and just today the Curio 7 x 21. I travel one week a month and wanted a pocket to take along. The NL I use around the neighborhood and great Cleveland Metro Park System that starts less than 1/2 mile from my home.
Welcome to the forum Billy.

Cleveland Ohio, do you carry a sidearm when you go to the Cleveland metro park system 😵‍💫😜.

Is Cleveland famous for any food?

Pierogi, Polish Boys, and paczki, brought by generations of Eastern European immigrants, might be the most well-known Cleveland food. A Polish Boy, not to be confused with a Louisiana Po' Boy, is a kielbasa sausage on a bun, topped with coleslaw, french fries, and barbecue sauce, and it's a local favorite.

But that aside, if i had to choose two binoculars today: Leitz 7x35 B and Leica UV 12x50.

…if i had to choose two binoculars today: Leitz 7x35 B and Leica UV 12x50.
I’ve got the first one but the latter is still on the horizon for me. Both surprised me though, the old Leitz in how usable it still remains, and the 12x50 by being so easy to use in hand held mode. Gotta get that one…

Pierogi, Polish Boys, and paczki, brought by generations of Eastern European immigrants, might be the most well-known Cleveland food. A Polish Boy, not to be confused with a Louisiana Po' Boy, is a kielbasa sausage on a bun, topped with coleslaw, french fries, and barbecue sauce, and it's a local favorite.

But that aside, if i had to choose two binoculars today: Leitz 7x35 B and Leica UV 12x50.
Absolutely, what you said but don’t forget the Lake Erie Walleye and Perch along with Cleveland Style Barbecue. Hungarian Hot Dogs aren’t bad either. After a late night out don’t forget to stop and get some White Castle sliders on your way home.

Now I’m hungry 😝

I’ve got the first one but the latter is still on the horizon for me. Both surprised me though, the old Leitz in how usable it still remains, and the 12x50 by being so easy to use in hand held mode. Gotta get that one…
Don’t hesitate, the 12x50 will be definitely a very useful member to your collection.
Easy to handhold for me.
It doesn’t fit in your pocket though.

Don’t hesitate, the 12x50 will be definitely a very useful member to your collection.
Easy to handhold for me.
It doesn’t fit in your pocket though.
I fell for it really quickly at the Leica store, along with the 7x42, which I was able to pick up here on the forum. Spent a lot of time with them and they even let me take them both out into the mall with me to look around.

Post a pic of the two of them for the forum? That’s a really nice pairing, 7x and 12x.

Swarovski 8x56 SLC
Swarovski 15x56 SLC

Allready have the 8x56, and kind of unsure about 15x56… Just think if Swarovski brought out a NL Pure 16x56.

Hmm, you titled the thread,

"Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose?"​

I interpret that to mean if you could only have two, which two? But then went on to ask,

Would seem the pull to add a third and the question where does it stop is a different thing?
That’s the way I read it too.

For me the first pair would have to be my Leica Duovid 10-15x50. These have been fantastic binoculars in my 20 years of owning them. For me they are (and were at the time of purchase) like having two pairs of binoculars in one, and on their 15x they are nearing scope territory, plus their optics are outstanding too. The only disadvantage I have with these is, they are on the large and heavy side, and typically I only take them when I have my rucksack with me. But the extra weight is worth it for what reach and observation they give me on their 15x magnification.

For my second pair, they would have to be my Leica Ultravid 8x20. These are my "carry on me whenever I go out walking binoculars". These are truly pocket sized, and between the two are my most used binoculars. The optical quality of these is exceptional and matches the much larger Duovid binoculars I own.

Last edited:
For me the first pair would have to be my Leica Duovid 10-15x50. These have been fantastic binoculars in my 20 years of owning them. For me they are (and were at the time of purchase) like having two pairs of binoculars in one, and on their 15x they are nearing scope territory, plus their optics are outstanding too. The only disadvantage I have with these is, they are on the large and heavy side, and typically I only take them when I have my rucksack with me. But the extra weight is worth it for what reach and observation they give me on their 15x magnification.

For my second pair, they would have to be my Leica Ultravid 7x20. These are my "carry on me whenever I go out walking binoculars". These are truly pocket sized, and between the two are my most used binoculars. The optical quality of these is exceptional and matches the much larger Duovid binoculars I own.
Talster, your post got me thinking about the way we post here...

One of these days we need to start a thread entitled "Context." Much of what gets written here at Birdforum is opinion based. Thats OK, but without any knowledge of the poster, their age, fitness, where they live, where they bird, these opinions don't say enough. I wonder if much of the rancor I read here, is the result of opinions being contradicted, without context, without understanding where the poster is coming from?

Where I bird, how I bird, I can't imagine - and Im trying - how these choices could work for me. Im left to wonder just how they work for you...

Re, "Having two pairs of binoculars, which would you choose?"

Feels like half the information required for the answer to that question to mean anything is not supplied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back