• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose? (6 Viewers)

Talster, your post got me thinking about the way we post here...

One of these days we need to start a thread entitled "Context." Much of what gets written here at Birdforum is opinion based. Thats OK, but without any knowledge of the poster, their age, fitness, where they live, where they bird, these opinions don't say enough. I wonder if much of the rancor I read here, is the result of opinions being contradicted, without context, without understanding where the poster is coming from?

Where I bird, how I bird, I can't imagine - and Im trying - how these choices could work for me. Im left to wonder just how they work for you...

Re, "Having two pairs of binoculars, which would you choose?"

Feels like half the information required for the answer to that question to mean anything is not supplied.
I think there’s a lot of truth in this.

I've always been a two binocular guy, or at least (since I've tended to have more than two binoculars) have a very strong preference to have 10x and 8x magnification available. For a long time the two formats I preferred were 10x40/42 and 8x30/32, the latter being preferred for its wider field of view, but as time went by I tended to prefer a widefield 8x42 instead. I think if I could start with a clean slate I would probably get the best 10x42 I could afford (probably a NL because of the headrest, possibly SF if one was available for a significant discount) and a quality, but not necessarily absolute top quality 8x42 (EL/FL/SLC on upwards).

I'd want to give the NL/SF 10x42 a really serious trial against the Swaro 10x50 EL though - would probably still end up with the 10x42, but would want to be absolutely sure of my choice. I focus very heavily on raptor-watching - 5mm exit pupil does have some real benefits when glassing for long periods, my birding doesn't involve serious walking/trekking, and the 10x50 EL is really outstanding.

As originaler poster I asked this question, because I wanted to be done with "just" two pairs of binculars.
I thought a 10x32 and a 8x42 would be perfect. Now I think a 10x42 paired with a 8x32 would have been nicer. At the moment I have a 10x32, 10x42 and a 10x50, but can't let go the 10x32, the 10x50 and the 8x42. I am bitten by the bug. ;)

I have the EL 10x50 and it is really nice! I just recently bought a secondhand SLC 10x42. It was an offer I could not resist 🔫🐴.
The SLC 10x42 is in Austria at the moment. When it is back, I will compare it with the EL 10x50 and see if I will keep both.

When having "only" a 8x32 and a 10x42, I think I would miss the 5mm exit pupil. So I am still not sure what would have been the perfect two pair. Maybe 3 or 4 is better, although I still think it is still a bit overdone.

I really like the setup of Dorubird for instance. He has 4 pairs of binoculars and is really satisfied (I assume). A high end pocket bin, a lightweight 8x30, a very good 10x42 and a 6mm exit pupil porro bin. Covering all the grounds imo! Just missing a 12 power maybe...

If I could do it all over, I think I would settle with this:
12x42 NL
10x42 SLC
8x42 SLC
8x30 Habicht
7x21 Curio
(Sorry, I am a bit swaro biased)

If I had to choose only two pairs:
10x32 NL (perfect for birdwatching in bright daylight)
10x42 SLC (very suitable for dimmer light)

(And a high end 8x25 or 8x20 ;))

Talster, your post got me thinking about the way we post here...

One of these days we need to start a thread entitled "Context." Much of what gets written here at Birdforum is opinion based. Thats OK, but without any knowledge of the poster, their age, fitness, where they live, where they bird, these opinions don't say enough. I wonder if much of the rancor I read here, is the result of opinions being contradicted, without context, without understanding where the poster is coming from?

Where I bird, how I bird, I can't imagine - and Im trying - how these choices could work for me. Im left to wonder just how they work for you...

Re, "Having two pairs of binoculars, which would you choose?"

Feels like half the information required for the answer to that question to mean anything is not supplied.
Hi Tom, that a good observation. I frequent this birding site, but I’ve never birded, not formally anyway. I live in NW Montana, am a fit 74 year old. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and fields, hiking, hunting and training retrievers. A high quality, lightweight, easy to carry binocular is utmost to me. Even though our country is wide open and big, I prefer seven power.

I’d choose the Leica 8x42 Noctivid and the 10x42 Swarovski NL. If I were being a minimalist Id ad one to the list, a 8x30/32 , probably the UVHD or the EL, or possibly the 7x53 Retro instead of 30/32. Those three for me would cover all my needs.

Paul

Just like to add an opinion. I think the optimum collection imo ,to cover all the observing bases without going down the OCD collecting road (being non astronomy related ,although any can be used for that purpose) would be the following ;

12x50
10x42
8x42
7 or 8x 30/32/35
7-8x 20-25
To me that covers all potential observing and carrying needs.

Paul

@reiner - having both 10x50 and 10x42 available as options for your 10x viewing would be great. But that's quite a lot of money to have tied up in binoculars. The 10x50 format has some great qualities, but even though I don't walk far during my birding there are times a 10x42 is better - any location where you have to point your binoculars up into the sky. Likewise, although if I had to choose one 8x format it would be the 8x42 (easier choice for me than 10x42 vs 10x50 I think), an 8x30/32 is very nice to have.

If I could add a third binocular to my 10x42 and 8x42 I'd get a 12x50 (have tried the 12x42 NL which was great, but I'd need to give it a real trial to be sure it could replace a 12x50) and my fourth would be an 8x32 or 8x30, maybe a classic porro like the Zeiss West or Leitz Binuxit which I'd use for non-serious jobs.

Hi Tom, that a good observation. I frequent this birding site, but I’ve never birded, not formally anyway. I live in NW Montana, am a fit 74 year old. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and fields, hiking, hunting and training retrievers. A high quality, lightweight, easy to carry binocular is utmost to me. Even though our country is wide open and big, I prefer seven power.
Your choice makes sense. I get it.

Kalispell, Whitefish? Lovely place. Read Ivan Doig?

@reiner - having both 10x50 and 10x42 available as options for your 10x viewing would be great. But that's quite a lot of money to have tied up in binoculars. The 10x50 format has some great qualities, but even though I don't walk far during my birding there are times a 10x42 is better - any location where you have to point your binoculars up into the sky. Likewise, although if I had to choose one 8x format it would be the 8x42 (easier choice for me than 10x42 vs 10x50 I think), an 8x30/32 is very nice to have.

If I could add a third binocular to my 10x42 and 8x42 I'd get a 12x50 (have tried the 12x42 NL which was great, but I'd need to give it a real trial to be sure it could replace a 12x50) and my fourth would be an 8x32 or 8x30, maybe a classic porro like the Zeiss West or Leitz Binuxit which I'd use for non-serious jobs.
I have a 10x32, a 10x42 and a 10x50. Having both a 10x32 and a 10x50 would make sense. The 10x42 is abundant and can actually replace both.
I got the 10x50 and 10x42 both secondhand, but still 3000 euro is a lot of money. That's why I have been thinking selling the 32 and the 50 and get the NL 12x42 instead.

Or just sell the EL 10x50 and buy a secondhand 12x50 and be done with it.

The thing is, the NL 10x32 isn't much lighter that the SLC 10x42. The difference is even less than 100g and they have the same size.
The focuser of the NL is better, smoother and on the right place. Really nice for birding.

I know I would like the NL12x42. I have the NL 10x32 and don't really have problems with the small exit pupil. Glare is the only thing that is not teally nice, but not really a big problem. It doesn's accor a lot. The NL 12x42 has a bigger exit pupil (3.5>3.2), so probably less glare.
I can even imagine the NL 12x42 is more allround than the EL 12x50, because it is a bit lighter (not that much though 870g <> 1000g).

I would like to have a 8x30 as well, but that probably will be an Habicht.

There is actually a good thing about having more than 2 binoculars. Last weekend I was with my wife, children and another person watching deer and boar at dawn. We were fighting who can hold the binoculars :). (Too bad the SLC was in Austria). I like to share the good stuff I have and I like it when other people can enjoy wildlife. I have a wife and (nearly) three children. So it actually makes sense having 5 (good) pairs of binoculars! :)

And I always tell myself: I don't have an expensive car, I don't have other gadgets. Actually, I don't care too much about material at all. I do care about nature and observing it. That may cost some money. I know I am very very blessed that I can even afford one swarovski.

Last edited:
I have a 10x32, a 10x42 and a 10x50. Having both a 10x32 and a 10x50 would make sense. The 10x42 is abundant and can actually replace both.
I got the 10x50 and 10x42 both secondhand, but still 3000 euro is a lot of money. That's why I have been thinking selling the 32 and the 50 and get the NL 12x42 instead.

Or just sell the EL 10x50 and buy a secondhand 12x50 and be done with it.

The thing is, the NL 10x32 isn't much lighter that the SLC 10x42. The difference is even less than 100g and they have the same size.
The focuser of the NL is better, smoother and on the right place. Really nice for birding.

I know I would like the NL12x42. I have the NL 10x32 and don't really have problems with the small exit pupil. Glare is the only thing that is not teally nice, but not really a big problem. It doesn's accor a lot. The NL 12x42 has a bigger exit pupil (3.5>3.2), so probably less glare.
I can even imagine the NL 12x42 is more allround than the EL 12x50, because it is a bit lighter (not that much though 870g <> 1000g).

I would like to had a 8x30 as well, but that probably will be an Habicht.

There is actually a good thing about having more than 2 binoculars. Last weekend I was with my wife, children and another person watching deer and boar at dawn. We were fighting who can hold the binoculars :). (Too bad the SLC was in Austria). I like to share the good stuff I have and I like it when other people can enjoy wildlife. I have a wife and (nearly) three children. So it actually makes sense having 5 (good) pairs of binoculars! :)

And I always tell myself: I don't have an expensive car, I don't have other gadgets. Actually, I don't care too much about material at all. I do care about nature and observing it. That may cost some money. I know I am very very blessed that I can even afford one swarovski.
You have the SLC 42 in 8x and 10x. If the SLC 10 X it’s close to the 32NL, I’d say or do this, only my opinion. Sell the NL 32 and the 10x50. Get the the 12x50 EL or UV (12 is better in larger objective), and the the 8x30 Habicht or some other small 8x porro. And if you absolutely have to have an NL , get the 10x42, Imo it’s the sweet spot. These are all good and reasonable objective sizes for the magnifications. Then you could get rid of one of the SLC’s if you can’t justify (wife not allowing it) them all. ✌🙏🏼.

Paul

Now I am thinking about following:
-EL 12x50 (further reach)
-SLC 10x42 (dimmer light)
-NL 10x32 (perfect for daytime birding)
-Habicht 8x30 (lightweight, porro, beautiful)
-Pocket bin (light travelling)

Basta

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back