• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (2 Viewers)

Updated Summary, ver. 3.0 ... (or something to while in quarantine).

Since this thread clearly has lost most of its pace, and lately has drifted away from its original topic/purpose (i.e. James's mission to find and explain the most unknown of unknown scientific names) ...

Also as some of the latest topics in this thread have been pure side-tracks (exept for the most recent posts regarding annae), lately we've (suddenly) been dealing with Herr Mell, and "his" birds, and before that with a/some odd Hummingbird/s commemorating an all unknown Adèle (as in the French name L'Orotrochile d'Adèle), or Adela (as in "Adela's Hill-star", i.e. John Gould's English name, from 1849), or even a plausible Adelaïde (as suggested by Martin) for adela ... and then an Estelle (as in estella), sigh! ;) * ... neither one included in James's original list/s (the very reason/s for this thread).

Thereby; as our dear HBW Alive Key now has been shut down (hopefully to appear elsewhere, soon), thus as of now unreachable in the many links in this thread (as well as in numerous others, too bad) ... here's a third Update/Summary of all the remaining eponyms and other epithets (see the attached PDF), with their resp. entries quoted from the Key [as per 9th of May 2020, shortly before the Key was closed down]. Simply to keep the kettle boiling.

See it as something to do, to fiddle with, to ponder over, while in quarantine, it's a list that (certainly), will keep everyone busy (if dealt with, of course), for quite a while, until the lock-down is over, or (at least) until the Key is back again (in the BoW version).

Note that here are still many, several names (about 90!) still missing an adequate explanation, some only in minor parts, others are still all unexplained. Take your pick.

I'm pretty convinced that James will appreciate any progress achieved, on any of them.

If anyone choose to try, on either one: Good luck!

And Stay (corona) safe.

Björn

PS. James, any additional ones/names/oddities, added to your list/s, since December last?

If Adèle/Adela alt. Adelaide/Adelaïde is correct, or not, is way, way beyond my understanding.
If dealt with onwards, please put it in a thread of its/their own. Simply to keep this one in order.

Attachments

• Updated Summary 3.0.pdf
    775 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I gave it yet another try ...

Thereby, let's (once again) return to the unknown Anna in "Psamathia annæ" HARTLAUB & FINSCH 1868, and/in their Paper On a Collection of Birds from the Pelew Islands (earlier dealt with in #221-224 + 450-458 in this thread).

Mr Godeffroy's Mother-in-law (i.e. his wife Emilie's Mother) "Anna Adelheid Cruse" (here) alt. Anna Hanbury neé Cruse (alt. Kruse?), might/could be the one we're looking for. Or not? Though, on the other hand, this far, if truly a Female eponym; I´d say that Martin's suggestion (in post #457) still seems like the best candidate. Was "our" Anna possibly the wife of Karl (alt. Carl) Semper [i.e. "Anna Her(r)mann", (1826–1909)], as suggested in the same post ... ?!? Note that the PS in my post #458 was aimed at the latter, the wife of Semper, not at a possible wife of Mr Tetens, which one easily could believe, due to my (somewhat sloppy) way of writing it (and, as usual, my lack of understanding German ;)).

German Wiki for Mr Tetens, here. If he ever married, is unknown to me.

As Anna is one of the most Common female names in all the (Western) World, hence its Biblical 'Origin', I´d say we ought to/need to find a clear link/connection between her and " ... Hartlaub or Finsch, or of the magnate Godeffroy".

Another option would be: the "Anna Godeffroy", one of vessels (ships) that cruised the Southern Seas for the firm J.C. Godeffroy & Sons, and later (from 1884) by the DHPG (Deutsche Handels- und Plantagen-Gesellschaf), mentioned in the Paper ‘Vell, I don’t call dot very shentlemanly gonduck’: The Portrayal of Germans as Ungentlemanly South Seas Traders in Louis Becke’s Short Stories, by Dirk H. R. Spennemann (2014), here. If not for the Ship itself, it might be worth trying to find out why, after whom, this 'boat" got its name? Remember that vessels/ships are not unheard of in scientific names (like for example/s; marchesae, questi, or vegae).

Or maybe (!) it's not an Eponym at all? But a Toponym, for 'Pulo Anna' (an Island a k a 'Bird Island') in the State Sonsorol (here) in the Island Country Palau (Pelew). It sure would be interesting to see the Types, as Justin pointed out (kept in Bremen), if they are marked with a Type location, more specified than simply the Palau/Pelew Group/Archpelago/Islands/Inseln.

Though, wouldn't it be odd if "Psamathia annæ" turned out to be a Toponym, when the other remarkable New bird (equally a New genus, as well as also depicted), in the same Paper, was "Tephras finschii". The latter is/was clearly an Eponym.

You see; several Options? Take your pick.

Well, that's about it. I think I'm done with the obscure Anna, in "Psamathia annæ".

The last pieces in this puzzle I (gladly) leave in more capable hands.

Good luck!

Björn

... It might be worth tho look into Vom Schiffsjungen zum Wasserschout: Erinnerungen aus der Leben des Capitäns Alfred Tetens.
Feel free to do so, it's here (all in German, and on top of that, in those hard-to-read Fraktur letters). ;)
--

Last edited:
Björn in negative mood:
Since this thread clearly has lost most of its pace, and lately has drifted away from its original topic/purpose (i.e. James's mission to find and explain the most unknown of unknown scientific names) ...
Also as some of the latest topics in this thread have been pure side-tracks

Come on, Björn, don't forget posneri, the richardsoni's, mother Margaret (Johansen), semana, added information on Bertoni and Decoux, etc. The kettle is really still boiling, and we should keep stirring and digging, if not for the temporarily unreachable Key, then at least for keeping our mutual fascination for eponyms alive together! I know that you agree with me, the proof is in the list of names you're providing.
Of course, everything is attached to health, sound mind, inspiration and staying away from age troubles, but I hope for all that there is plenty of future work to get done and enjoyed in our subforum.
Till soon, I guess, I drift away sometimes, because I like to share nice thoughts and texts . . . (but if you see what sidetrack reactions are rising from it, wow! quite entertaining) I suppose it just broadens the circle of readers and thus enhances the appeal of the subforum for many BF members (not the technicians).
Stay well, a crown (a positive one) for all contributions!
Jan van der Brugge

Björn in negative mood:
Me? In a "negative mood". Nope. I'm happy as ever. And I love side-tracks.

I just wanted this certain thread (one of the most fascinating and challenging of all) to be kept on the right track, and most of all; still going, still bubbling.

And the best way to do that (in my mind), is to keep any side-tracks (however welcome) in other or separate threads (either the ones already dealing with the same name/topic or/alt. a new one). Simply to keep them all apart, and as such, far more easy to grasp, whenever one feels like returning to a/any name, or development, in the future, instead of having a multitude of various threads involved, whenever one return to a topic wondering "how on Earth did we came to such a conclusion" (like I've done numerous times). This also goes for anyone visiting, reading a thread for the very first time, all unaware of the possibility that the same question/name already have been dealt with, earlier on, elsewhere (in whatever way).

However, in the end; we're all in this game for the truth (as smoothly, and with as little confusion, as possible).

Keep stirring and digging!

Cheers

Björn

Hi Joek,

Nice catch. I believe your reasoning is sound and that Lothar is our "man". The von der Marwitz family appear to be typical minor nobility and full-time soldiers typical of the Deutsches Kaiserreich.

He was Lothar Heinrich Ludwig von der Marwitz, 1869 - 1918

Born 28 Oct 1869 in Greifenberg to Major Karl von der Marwitz and Karoline von der Marwitz (born Freiin Sichart von Sichartshofen)

Married 21 Nov 1907 in Berlin to Ida Maria Gertrud Gramatzki

I attach his marriage certificate as I can't read it and it is sure to have some useful information.

Family websites state he died on Apr 11, 1918. This date coincides with the Battle of the Lys in Flanders Total casualties in this Battle were British: c. 240,000, French: 92,004 and German: 348,300 - it seems likely this was where he met his end. It is this battle incidentally where General Haig issued his famous "backs against the wall" order. What a waste...Mit der Dummheit Kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens.

Cheers P

Attachments

• marriage.jpg
    marriage.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 22
SHARPE, R. B.
(• burrowsii as in "Defilippia burrowsii" 1894)

In British Birds: An Illustrated Magazine Devoted to the Birds on the British List, Vol. 3, 1910 p. 285

Dr. Sharpe married, in 1867, Emily, youngest daughter of the late James Walter Burrows, of Cookham, who survives him, and he leaves a family of ten daughters.

Here a little bit more about his life:

In 1828, James Walter Burrows purchased the house.

James Burrows was a London leather-merchant who was forced to retire to the country due to ill-health. Seeing the local cobblers struggling to make a descent living, he encouraged them to make high quality ready made boots and shoes, supplying them with materials and a market. Around Lullebrook, Burrows established a thriving industry, employing 1,500 people, although most of the production was done by outworkers. They would all arrive in the village on Fridays with their finished boots carried over their shoulders. Mr. Burrows' sons kept the industry going into the 1880s but increasingly cheap competition from factories in Northampton and Leicester eventually led to its collapse in Cookham.

Regarding...

*Re. the etymology of pamela, estella and adela, see the fairly recent Paper (from February 2020):
Authorship within the Synopsis Avium: a correction by Edward C. Dickinson & Martin Schneider
(i.e. our own "Taphrospilus"!), in Zoological Bibliography 5 (11): 413–415, here (see foot-note/s, on p.414).

Edward and I discussed as well Madeleine Adélaïde d’Orbigny née Baudemont (1746-1791) grandmother of Alcide. But Alcide was born 19 fructidor X = 6 September 1802 in Couëron (France) eleven years after her death.

But already mentioned here:

As well I got interesting input on adela.

Maybe it was in honor of his grandma Madeleine Adélaïde d’Orbigny née Baudemont (1746-1791) mentioned here:

Take it for what's worth.

Last edited:
Re. von der Marwitz and the marwitzi birds

Hi Joek,

Nice catch. I believe your reasoning is sound and that Lothar is our "man". ...

He was Lothar Heinrich Ludwig von der Marwitz, 1869 - 1918
Well done Paul (and Joek)!

[For new (or somewhat absent-minded) viewers, Joek's 'catch' was made way back in #225, in August 2019 (also continued in #226-227)]

Glad we're back on track.

/B

Re. Mr Burrows and burrowsii (in "Defilippia burrowsii" SHARPE 1894)

In British Birds: An Illustrated Magazine Devoted to the Birds on the British List, Vol. 3, 1910 p. 285

Dr. Sharpe married, in 1867, Emily, youngest daughter of the late James Walter Burrows, of Cookham, who survives him, and he leaves a family of ten daughters.

[...]
For what it's worth; I would still bet on Captain William Guy Burrows (1861–1912), late District Commisioner of the Aruwimi District of the Congo Free State, ... and onwards, as in #270-271 (and #273, 277, 280-281), but of course, with no out-spoken dedication it's hard to tell (or know), for sure. In my mind he's (still) the most likely dedicatee/nominee (far more so than a long-gone Father-in-law, a Shoe Manufacturer, who'd passed in the early 1860's).

Keep digging!

/B

PS. Martin, sorry I'm unable to help you any further with the "Hummers": pamela, estella and adela. Good luck finding the/any last pieces.
--

Last edited:
licua as in "Strix Licua" 1842
A bird from Damara now Namibia. A long stretch but possibly named for ǁKhauxaǃnas, an uninhabited village with a ruined fortress dating to the 18th century, is located to the east of the mountains. Probably not it was collected near the confluence of the Vaal and Orange rivers.

Last edited:
tigus as in "Ixos tigus" "BONAPARTE 1850" possibly helpfull quote:
Pycnonotus eutilosus (Jardine & Selby, 1836)
It may be helpful to clarify an old puzzle in the literature. Sharpe (1882: 62) placed
both tympanistrigus S. Müller, 1836, and tympanistrigus Bonaparte, 1850, in the synonymy of Pinarocichla euptilosa [sic], and did not recognise a species tympanistrigus.
The name tigus Bonaparte, 1850, he omitted entirely.
This peculiar lapsus was resolved by Finsch (1905) who explained that Temminck had annotated Müller’s type of tympanistrigus with the name tigus. Bonaparte’s description of tigus was thus a redescription of tympanistrigus Müller. The
actually quite different description Bonaparte gave of tympanistrigus is indeed a
description of eutilotus. In this text Finsch introduced Temminck’s MS name Ixos
cristatellus; this is also eutilosus but based on a Bornean specimen, not a Sumatran
bird. SNAB 25

sapiti.
Caprimulgus sapiti Temminck for Pr. Neuweid is mentioned in a 1823 book:
https://www.google.com/books/editio...ogaster+et+sapiti&pg=PA38&printsec=frontcover .
There is a word Sapitiba mentioned many times here:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Straubeetal2007.pdf .

See also https://books.google.com/books?id=KCwBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA129: Must be somewhere here https://www.flickr.com/photos/quasebart/23540602699 . Maybe this map https://de.todocoleccion.net/kunst-...brasil-1764-n-bellin~x147306973#sobre_el_lote ma help,

Last edited:
Mark (and Martin), before you dig any further (and repeat what's been done/found earlier, way back), in this loooooooong thread ... ;)

See the attached PDF in post 461, with quotes from the dear old HBW (no longer) Alive Key (per 9th of May), and the earlier post dealing with the same topic/s:

sapiti as in "Caprimulgus sapiti" BONAPARTE 1850 (also see #265-267, 272-273 in this thread)
sapiti
Most probably a toponym (i.e. Sapitiba, a locality near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where Natterer collected this bird (Björn Bergenholtz in litt.)); "142. Chordeiles, Sw. ... 1. CAPRIMULGUS virginianus, Br. nec Vieill. ... *2. CAPRIMULGUS sapiti, Natter. Mus. Vindobonens. ex Amer. m. Satis similispraecedenti, at minor, dilutior, cinerascens nec nigricans."(Bonaparte 1850, Conspectus Gen. Avium, I (i), 63) (syn. Chordeiles acutipennis).

tigus as in "Ixos tigus" "BONAPARTE 1850" (also see #344-349 in this thread)
tigus
Perhaps from a local name for some sort of bird on Sumatra (see tiga), or a deliberate curtailment of tympanistrigus to reflect this bulbul's smaller size; "564. Brachypus, Sw. 1824. nec Wolf. ... *11. IXOS tigus, Müll. Mus. Lugd. ex Sumatra. Similis praeced. [Ixos leucogrammicus] viridis et subtus squamatus; sed minor, et macula auriculari flava." (Bonaparte 1850, Conspectus Gen. Avium, I, 264) (syn. Pycnonotus tympanistrigus).
Simply/only to save you (and/or anyone else) some unwarranted work ...

Cheers!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Björn thanks for this reminder that there is the results of a lot of work by BF members in its archives. In the beauharnaisii/beauharnaesii thread I found brand new info in 2020 that actually I had posted in 2015. But in five years there has been many primary sources digitalized and placed online and we need to check frequently. I believe the Natterer/ Temmimck name sapiti was published in some ephemera like a guide to the Imperial museum or other and I am going to keep looking for it.
MR. SCLATER ON THE AMERICAN CAPRIMULGIDAE 1866 says sapiti was bird No, 94. Of what I am not sure? Pelzeln 1865 talks about Natterer collecting in Sapitiva with a ‘v’ in February 1818,
https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Reise-Novara-Erde_Zoo-Aves_0001-0176.pdf .

Caprimulgus sapiti BONAPARTE 1850

I believe the Natterer/ Temmimck name sapiti was published in some ephemera like a guide to the Imperial museum or other and I am going to keep looking for it.
MR. SCLATER ON THE AMERICAN CAPRIMULGIDAE 1866 says sapiti was bird No, 94. Of what I am not sure? Pelzeln 1865 talks about Natterer collecting in Sapitiva with a ‘v’ in February 1818, ...
Mark, regarding your thoughts on "No, 94"; and Bonaparte's "Caprimulgus sapiti Natt. Mus. Vindob. (No.94)", see my post #265 (and all its links), incl. Diesing's foot-note [even if the latter slightly digress from the subject (it doesn't add much, and absolutely nothing on the Etymology, of sapiti), as it only, as far as I can tell, takes us further back, to Rudolphi's "Synopsis entozoorum" (i.e Entozoorum synopsis ...), from 1819 (a work about parasites, which incl. a list of on birds, on where those were found), a text/list that, in its turn, only lists an unidentified: "294. Caprimulgi sp. brasil" (here)].

Which at that point (in 1819), would refer to a/one, or two, yet unidentified specimen/s of the "Caprimulgi" Nightjars, kept in the Vienna Museum collection, most likely delivered, in one of the earliest shipments from Natterer, collected during his travels in Brazil, that started in 1817 (and went on all the way until 1835).

To me it (still) looks like sapiti was/is a name originally coined by Temminck (even if later attributed to Natterer), possibly in an unpublished list of the specimens recently received, or maybe by Natterer himself (on the specimen labels?), both seemingly "in MS".

If Temminck ever published it (either in a short list, alt. with a description, however brief), and if so where, I simply do not know, but he seems to have used the name sapiti, as early as in the 1820's and 1830's. This far we've found at least two; "sapiti Tem." (in 1823) and "C. Sapiti Tem." (in 1836), strongly indicating that Temminck did use it (somewhere) prior to that, far earlier than Bonaparte 1850. It could be a case of an original intention of; Temminck ex Natterrer?), who knows?

Take it all for what it's worth. There's a lot of probably/possibly (read; guesses and speculations) in the line of arguments (reasonings) above, but that's as far as I can reach. Sorry. As you (all) would know by now, German isn't my strong side. Nor is Latin.

However, as always; don't hesitate to remark on any part, whatever minor or major, if you (or anyone else) think otherwise.

And: Good luck finding the unknown "ephemera" by "Natterer/Temmimck". I have no clue if such a print ever existed. But I would think it (maybe) might could have been, as I noted that the numbers of the birds in Diesing's foot-note doesn't match (the other parasite hosts/birds, in) Rudolphi's work. On the other hand, it could, just as well, have been nothing but a handwritten list, in the Vienna Museum (for their Staff, and visiting guests?), again; who knows?

Either way, I feel pretty convinced that we've got the proper Etymology for sapiti.

Cheers!

Björn

PS. It's clearly written "Sapitiba" (here). Also see; "Handschriftlische Notizen von J. Natterer", also by von Pelzeln, (here).
--

Last edited:
Caprimulgus sapiti BONAPARTE 1850

One last, additional, short question regarding sapiti (for our Latin scholars):

What does "(ut sup.)" stands for/mean, in/at the end of John Cassin's reference, from 1st of November 1851 (here, see No. 5) ... ?

Just curious (even if it, of course, doesn't concern the Etymology itself ;))

/B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back