• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello everybody! (1 Viewer)

Michael W

Mountain Chickadee
Hello everybody, I'm Michael W.

I'm 13 and have been a interested in birds since I was 7 or 8. I live up on a mountain in Spokane, Washington.

Just thought I'd introduce myself!

I'll be intrested in talking to you all in the future!

Michael W

Hi Michael,

Nice to have a young chap like you with us on Bird Forum, I started birding with my father when I was 7 years old, I am now 75 years old and still get out with bins and scope pretty regularly.Have fun with us.

:hi: Michael W, you must have a good knowledge of birds so you will be a valuable addition to this site! Welcome and enjoy!

Hi Michael,

Well done in finding your way onto Bird Forum :t:

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to the site. I hope that you like what you see. We have a great bunch of very helpful people on here always willing to share their knowledge and experience. I hope that you will too as it will be great to hear about the birding in what sounds like a pretty remote area up a mountain ?

See you around.

Hi Michael. Welcome to the site. It is nice to see young people interested in birds and I am sure you will be able to teach us older ones a thing or two about the up to date birding methods. I learned a lot about computers from the younger generation. Enjoy yourself John. :t:

Hi Michael from another (but older!) Michael

Sounds a nice place to be, up a mountain near Spokane - do tell us about your birds - Lots of Mountain Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Oregon Juncos and Clark's Nutcrackers? Townsend's Solitaires? Gray Jays?

Michael

Hi Michael, I have a grandson your age who is just getting into birdwatching. I will look forward to hearing all about the birds that live on your mountain. :hi:

Michael F,
To answer your question, there are lots of Mountain Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Oregon Juncos, and an occasional Townsend's Solitaire. My dad has seen one Clark's Nutcracker before I was a birdwatcher. But we don't live high enough to get the Gray Jays. Our elevation is about 2,900 ft above sea level. We also have Western Bluebirds, 3 species of Swallows, MacGillivray's Warblers (during Spring Migration), and Cedar Waxwings, to name a few.

I keep month lists and year lists for our property (about 25 acres) and the total number of species is now up to 109.

Thanks everybody for the friendly welcome!

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks!

Must admit, when you said you live up on a mountain, I was thinking more like 5,000' ;)
The ones I asked about are some of the ones I saw commonly high in the Cascades on my trip 'out west' 3 years ago. 109's a good total, does that include any ponds or streams?

Michael

Michael,
There is a small pond, but nothing much in terms of waterfowl or wading birds has been there--only a Great Blue Heron and Mallard. The Mallards nested there and brought the young Mallards last year, though.
There aren't any streams. Most of the property is Ponderosa Pine or Serviceberry bushes, but there is a large field.

I've attached the complete list. I hope you can see it okay.

Thanks!

Michael:t:

Attachments

• property list 001.jpg
    property list 001.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 152
Nice list, yep, can see it thanks! I'll have to see how many of those I've not seen on my travels . . . . 21 I'm missing there.

Northern Mockingbird is a good one so far northwest - a one-off, I guess?

Is there a good cone crop (purple cones ripening next month) on the ponderosas this year?

Michael

Welcome to the forum, Michael. Nice to see there are some young birders out there.

Yes, absolutely, Good to see you Michael W.

Sounds a great location to be in & thats an impressive looking list you have there as well

Nice one !

Michael
I haven't looked at the cones lately but I'm sure that a large crop is ripening. I was wrong about one thing though, most of the property is field, but there's still a lot of pines.

Also, you were right about the Northern Mockingbird being a one-off. Shortly after we moved here from California, my dad was working in our garden. He is avid birder and is the one who inspired me to become a birdwatcher. Anyway, a mockingbird flew up and started singing. He was so used to seeing them that it took him a while to realize that Mockingbirds weren't supposed to be there. It was one report of about 10 in the history of Spokane.

Thanks again for welcoming me in!

Michael o:D :t:

Welcome Michael and that is quite an impressive list you have to date. I would love to see the pigmy nuthatch. I think you will be a wonderful asset to the Bird Forum. Congratulations to you dad for getting you into the birds and we'll have to see what we can do about getting him on board as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back