• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Aberdeen! Looking for Long-tailed tits?? (1 Viewer)

Wifflesnap

Hello!! So glad to have found this forum! I recently moved from Colorado to Dunecht, a teeny village outside of Aberdeen, Scotland. Absolutely adoring all of the birds here! I've got feeders galore, have learned to make my own fat balls, and I have one major question. I am DYING to see a long-tailed tit, are there any members that live anywhere near me, and have you seen any of these adorable little puffballs??

Hi Wifflesnap and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

As for Long-tailed Tits... you will come across some and may even get them in your garden if you're near to some woodlands, but in the meantime maybe your best bet would be to get into some suitable woods or forests (even riparian woods will do) and listen for them. You can hear their song in The Opus article here (scroll to the bottom of the page or click on Vocalisation in the Contents Box). At this time of year, they often travel in bird waves with other species, such as the other tits (Blue and Great) and Eurasian Treecreepers; you can read up on them in The Opus too.

Sorry, I don't live local enough to know of any local populations. But if you post in this thread, someone more local to you may see it when they've sobered up;)

A merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and your family.

Hi Wifflesnap and welcome to BirdForum. Give them a bit of time and I’m sure they’ll find your feeders sooner rather than later.

Rich

Thank you Delia! I'm lucky to live out in the country with some bits of woodlands around, so fingers crossed! I've even had a goldcrest zipping around my garden the past 2 days, totally made my Christmas :)

I bet it did!!!! Oooh you jammy b*!!! I want a picture of one, but they never keep still, do they LOL

Hummmph.... you're lucky to get 'blur' I got nothing!!! Just the leaves where it had been!

A very warm welcome to the North East of Scotland. So much to see, so many different landscapes to explore. I wish you every enjoyment (and many Long-Tailed Tits as you do, needless to say) here in the North East. John.

LOL Malky.... looking at the date of it, I can make a jolly good guessB :) hic

Happy New Year to you lad.

I do not know if long-tailed tits are prolific to your region, however all I can offer is the type of feed that they love in my garden in SE England..

10 suet blocks peanut and cherry recipe high energy wild bird food.... suet to go..... in a short long red box, available on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suet-Blueb...=1515005969&sr=8-4&keywords=suet+to+go+blocks

I never have seen L_T-Tits in my life until this house I live in now and regularly we have 12+ per day.....

If you get the other tits, maybe this feed might encourage them

Last edited:
Hi

This is further South in the West Midlands - but the feeder was full of fat balls and this is a regular occurrence. Other birders at Upton Warren have similar pics :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back