• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the Netherlands/UK! (1 Viewer)

MaxesTaxes

Netherlands
Hi everyone!
My name is Max, and I'm from the Netherlands but also spend a lot of time in the UK as a student.
I am actually a very keen palaeontologist, both by hobby (I've been fossil hunting for over 9 years now), and since September by study too. However, despite my main passion being about the long-dead animals and organisms, I too love seeing living and breathing animals (including birds of course!).
I've always been lucky to have a family that has the means to travel, and so I've been to many exotic locations where I got to appreciate the wildlife there. During those trips I always stole my dad's camera to snap some photos of whatever animals I saw, but apart from that I didn't do much in terms of photography. Last summer however I got a new camera (a Lumix DMC-G80 for those of you that are interested), and this motivated me to go find some of the more local wildlife in my area (both in the Netherlands and the UK) and try photographing that. The bird diversity is much wider than I had envisioned, and this drove to learn more about them. I've managed to find a few sources that seem quite good already to help with bird identification, but I figured that joining a forum full of amateur/professional experts would be very helpful for any trickier ID questions I may have, while also being a fun place to learn more about ornithology and maybe share some nice photographs.
I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and meeting you all!
Best,
Max

PS: I'm trying to figure out how to get a profile picture, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that yet... perhaps it's something reserved to members that have already made a substantial amount of posts?

Hi Max and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I look forward to hearing your news, and will hopefully see some of your pictures in the Gallery too.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

I believe you have to make ten forum posts and be a member for five days before you can have an avatar.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Just for your info here's a list for new member restrictions.

New Member Restrictions

In an attempt to prevent certain abuses of our site, new members have a handful of minor restrictions placed upon them until they have made 10 forum posts (gallery comments do not count) AND have been a member of the site for 5 days. The following minor restrictions apply to new members who have not qualified with the above criteria:

Creating a Signature
Uploading an Avatar
Creating a Blog
Editing the Opus
Creating a 'For Sale' thread
Voting in polls.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi everyone!
My name is Max, and I'm from the Netherlands but also spend a lot of time in the UK as a student.
I am actually a very keen palaeontologist, both by hobby (I've been fossil hunting for over 9 years now), and since September by study too. However, despite my main passion being about the long-dead animals and organisms, I too love seeing living and breathing animals (including birds of course!).
I've always been lucky to have a family that has the means to travel, and so I've been to many exotic locations where I got to appreciate the wildlife there. During those trips I always stole my dad's camera to snap some photos of whatever animals I saw, but apart from that I didn't do much in terms of photography. Last summer however I got a new camera (a Lumix DMC-G80 for those of you that are interested), and this motivated me to go find some of the more local wildlife in my area (both in the Netherlands and the UK) and try photographing that. The bird diversity is much wider than I had envisioned, and this drove to learn more about them. I've managed to find a few sources that seem quite good already to help with bird identification, but I figured that joining a forum full of amateur/professional experts would be very helpful for any trickier ID questions I may have, while also being a fun place to learn more about ornithology and maybe share some nice photographs.
I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and meeting you all!
Best,
Max

PS: I'm trying to figure out how to get a profile picture, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that yet... perhaps it's something reserved to members that have already made a substantial amount of posts?
How is your country & what is fossil hunting?

How is your country & what is fossil hunting?
The Netherlands is a great country, although I'm probably somewhat biased when I say that. But I do really like it there, and while I do also like it here in the UK I am always very happy to come back home. The big cities are a nice blend of modern and classical architecture, the public infrastructures are usually very good (modern and reliable while not too expensive), the food is decent, the culture is nice, and one of my favorite things about it is that it's quite an international country (for example, even though Dutch is our only official language, a very large part of the population also speaks English at a high level, and the expat community here is quite big). Overall I find it's a very well-developped country, and a comfortable place to live. I'm not sure what type of answer you were looking for with your question about how my country is, but hopefully this gives you a bit of an insight into what it's like. If you wanna know more, just Google it, there's plenty of information and photos of the country online.

Fossil hunting is when you search for fossils (by means of beachcombing, digging, sifting, etc). The 'hunting' part is like in the term 'treasure hunt', where it has more of a 'search and collect' meaning rather than like the actual hunting of animals. Much of my fossil hunting consisted of going on a beach in the Netherlands, and walking around to find fossils washed ashore or picking them out of shell banks.
I hope this answers your questions!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back