• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Choosing Tripod for Bird photography and Scope Request (1 Viewer)

TwoDogs

I am looking for advice on tripods and heads.
I would like to purchase a tripod/head combination that is suitable for both bird photography and for supporting a scope.
The camera lens combination is a Canon 350D/Sigma 50-500.
I have not yet got a scope but will buy one in the future but hope to be able to use the same tripod (not at the same time). The scope I have in mind is a either a a Swarovski ATS80 or Carl Zeiss Diascope 85.

Weight is not to much of a consideration and I am prepared to spend a reasonable ammount but do not want to make to many expensive mistakes in getting it right. Is there a tripod head that is suitable for both applications or is each application different enough that two types of head are required?
All comments greatfully recieved

TwoDogs

TwoDogs:
I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. For what it's worth, I have a 20D, grip and 50-500. The tripod and head combination that I use are a Manfrotto 441 carbon fibre tripod with a Wimberley Head and flash bracket. That combination cost about $1,700 Cdn. (Only because I managed to find a sale on the 441. Normally it would cost anywhere from $700 to $800, but I found it for $350.)
By comparison, my wife has a 20D, grip and Canon 100-400 L. She also uses the Manfrotto 441 carbon fibre, but with a Manfrotto 490RC4 ballhead, since the Wimberley is too weighty for her.
Her combination cost just under $1,200 Cdn. The ballhead was $300 and the tripod $862 (including tax. See what a deal I got on mine).
Anyway both combinations are extremely stable and would handle your camera/lens setup and likely whatever scope you decide to buy.
cheers,
jim

Thanks Jim

Thanks for your input Jim. I shall check out the UK prices. If its a pound for dollar conversion this may be a little above my budget (£300-£450) unless I can get some good bargains. Thanks again
Twodogs

As far as a legset goes, most of the Manfrotto range will be more than adequate for your needs... Personally, I'd would go for the Manfrotto 501pro head, this is an ideal fluid type head for dslr+long lens use (certainly your Sigma 50-500) as well as conventional scope viewing.

You can end up spending £1k+ for the very best support systems such as Gitzo+full Wimberley but to my mind this is over the top for your needs... though if you intend progressing to 500mm or 600mm f4 lenses, then you could well need these in the long run.
cheers,
Andy

I'd recommend going for Manfrotto stuff - it really is excellent. I use 055 legs (£90) and a 501 head (£125) both with my camera set up (300D with Sigma 500mm prime) and my scope (Leica 77). I was using a smaller head, but the long lens is weighty so I changed to the 501 which is really very good and easily holds the load. Personally I wouldn't bother going for carbon fibre, you don't save much weight, but you'll pay over £100 more for the legs.
Wimberley gimbal heads are excellent, but at £400+ they are a lot to spend, especially when a Manfrotto for £125 will do the job. Personally I think that although they're great for long lenses, I don't like using them with a scope. The Manfrotto 501 head is great for using with either camera or scope and the sliding plate is very useful if you ever use a tc.

Thanks Andy B and Postcardcv
An outbreak of consensus. I was thinking Manfrotto as a brand. The costs are a little less than what I am prepared to spend. I will probably go for the 501pro head and spend a a bit more on the legs. In the future if I need to upgrade the head the legs can cope. I will see if there is anymore feedback first but many thanks for the advice
TwoDogs

rogerscoth said:
Another alternative may be the The Manfrotto 393 Long Lens Tripod Head, as reviewed on Andy Bright's web-site :-
http://www.digiscoped.com/manfrotto701RC2.html#anchor_21
This does look quite strong.

Roger
Normally I'd recommend the 393 but it can be annoying reaching for the scope focus (or maybe lens zoom control) and keep knocking the 393 cradle... so it's at its best with AF prime lenses.

cheers,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back