• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring or GBB Gull? (1 Viewer)

Matt Griffiths

ad. ♂ Blackcap
Hello,
I recently had a very large immature gull fly over my local lakes, which I'm pretty sure was a GBB Gull. Features noted included a thick shortish bill, obviously pale inner primaries, and a black band at end of tail with a second thinner band just in front but broken in the centre, all pointing to GBBG. My only hesitancy in calling it one is that the species is a patch rarity and I've previously had similarly large adult Herring Gulls. Looking at bill size/shape variation in immature Herrings on Google Images, I came across this http://www.birdseyesandbutterflies.com/wp-content/gallery/blog7/herring_gull_immature_1769.jpg with a bill proportionally similar to the bird I saw but it's labelled as a Herring - is this within the range of variation, or is it actually a GBBG?
Matt

N.B. Photo was taken in the USA but I understand both Herring species are very similar.

hi matt,

the bird in your link looks to be a 2nd cycle (2nd winter) GBBG. note rounded primary tips and short pale tongue at base of p10. bill looks very massive as does the rest of the bird - too bulky for smithsonianus for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back