• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hobby watching? (1 Viewer)

caroleanne

Whats the best way of finding hobbys? Is there a good time of day or weather that is best and what kind of thing should you be looking for if trying to see a hobby, or deciding if they are holding a territory?

If you have a local Sand Martin colony in a sand quarry,in your area,it could be worth watching.If a Hobby flies over,the Martins make a distinctive call and then fly above the quarry in large numbers.Instead of watching the Martins,keep your eyes open along the edge of the quarry,or the sky above you.Hope this is of some help ?

If you have a local Sand Martin colony in a sand quarry,in your area,it could be worth watching.If a Hobby flies over,the Martins make a distinctive call and then fly above the quarry in large numbers.Instead of watching the Martins,keep your eyes open along the edge of the quarry,or the sky above you.Hope this is of some help ?

I think you may have solved a problem for me. Twice I have been watching Sand Martins in our local quarry when a bird of prey has been lurking about, I thought it might be a Peregrine but it didn't look right so maybe it was a Hobby. I'll keep a lookout in the future. That a bit more that I've learnt from the forum. Thanks very much.
Jim

I'll be looking over a very specific area that consists of woodland and opne fields. There has been a known nest in a specific tree and I'm looking for potential nesting and territory within that area. The hobbys haven't been seen yet this year and I've got to go and find them. I'd like to know the best way of increasing my chances of finding them?

I think you may have solved a problem for me. Twice I have been watching Sand Martins in our local quarry when a bird of prey has been lurking about, I thought it might be a Peregrine but it didn't look right so maybe it was a Hobby. I'll keep a lookout in the future. That a bit more that I've learnt from the forum. Thanks very much.
Jim

Your welcome Jim.Peregrines and Hobbys can look alike,especially in flight at a distance.If underneath the bird,look for the red coverts on the legs and that shall confirm,you are watching a Hobby "terrorise" the local Martins.

I'll be looking over a very specific area that consists of woodland and opne fields. There has been a known nest in a specific tree and I'm looking for potential nesting and territory within that area. The hobbys haven't been seen yet this year and I've got to go and find them. I'd like to know the best way of increasing my chances of finding them?

If you have an idea of the nest site,sit at a safe distance,as not to disturb them and be patient.Over the next month or so,activity at the nest,shall increase as hopefully the youngsters shall be more demanding of their parents."Good Luck" Caroleanne.

The hobbys haven't been seen yet this year and I've got to go and find them.

I'm intrigued - are you able to share the reason why you've got to do this please?

I don't know what the weather has been like up in Derbyshire but it's been pretty terrible down here in SW England during the period when the Hobbies were incubating and tending small young. I fear that 2007 may turn out to be a rather poor breeding season for this species. I very much hope to be proved wrong on this but it just may explain the absence of sightings in your area this year.

My advice would be to either watch the area from a far distance or stay away altogether for the next month. If you return in mid August and the pair have been successful the youngsters will be on the wing and should make themselves known by their calling and aerial antics.

Just one word of caution. You're probably already aware that Hobbies are listed on Schedule 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. This legislation was amended in recent years to the effect that it is now an offence to intentionally or recklessly disturb them at or near their nest, including their dependent youngsters.

So if in the process of your searching you caused any disturbance to the adults or youngsters, even if unintentional, you might well fall foul of the reckless addition to this clause.

As others have helpfully suggested, there are plenty of alternative places to see Hobbies away from their nest sites without the risk of disturbing their breeding activities or indeed breaking the law.

FalconBirder:flyaway: :flyaway: :flyaway:

Last edited:
Dubs, definitely England on the staffordshire/Cheshire border to be exact and it was sunny and very warm. Not seen it since.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back