• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How about eyepieces for bins? (1 Viewer)

CliveP

Even just a basic 8x and 10x set?

I remember years ago suggesting it to Opicron about having scopes where you just changed the objective barrel and somehow Swaro came out with it a year or two after.

Leica did their dual bin thing which I suppose was basically this idea but I think they lost a lot of field of view for some reason. Maybe just having sets that bayonet clip on & off might get around it.

It works for scopes so why not bins? but I've never come across it or isn't it common with observation bins?

but what about for birding type bins.

Would it be any use or be more hassle than just having a second bin or scope.

Maybe an image stabilized eyepiece extender that could be attached and removed easily eg use your 8x bins as normal but spot something and you want a closer view then pop on the higher mag stabilized eyepiece and hey presto, scope.

I think I like that idea if it were realistic?

Modular parts...
it's done very occasionally, but usually with the eyepieces.

I think there are risks allowing the general consumer to swap barrels
and offering a warrantee at the same time...

That's the way most were manufactured long ago though...
One or two eyepiece/prism body sets, different barrels for powers.
One set might be 6x30, 7x35, 8x40, etc..

Aluminum gets very cross about cross-threading, though...
it galls. And there's the dust..

I've bought a little 10x25 to see if there is any merit in having that in a pocket alongside using my 8x32/43 so I'm wondering how that will go.

I just did a little experiment with my 15x70 on a tripod and 8x bins.

Checked out a distant sign with the 8x and then looked through one eyepiece of the 15x and there seemed to be some usefulness to that and if it could be portable then it does seem to be a good thing.

If say an 8x42 had an image stabilized 14x eyepiece adaptor then that might work still giving a 2.5mm exit pupil. I suppose it all depends on how conveniently portable it can be made but I see there are already image stabilized monoculars by the likes of Bresser of all people and they are quite expensive so I am guessing must be good enough, so just take the stabilized eyepiece part and use it with your already great bins?

You heard it here first:t:

I've bought a little 10x25 to see if there is any merit in having that in a pocket alongside using my 8x32/43 so I'm wondering how that will go.

I just did a little experiment with my 15x70 on a tripod and 8x bins.

Checked out a distant sign with the 8x and then looked through one eyepiece of the 15x and there seemed to be some usefulness to that and if it could be portable then it does seem to be a good thing.

If say an 8x42 had an image stabilized 14x eyepiece adaptor then that might work still giving a 2.5mm exit pupil. I suppose it all depends on how conveniently portable it can be made but I see there are already image stabilized monoculars by the likes of Bresser of all people and they are quite expensive so I am guessing must be good enough, so just take the stabilized eyepiece part and use it with your already great bins?

You heard it here first:t:

a modular bin from 1981:

http://fp.optics.arizona.edu/optomech/papers/Trsar 1981.pdf

An interesting idea in theory but
I just wonder if there would be a market for them.

Different sized objective modules might be one way to go like in the ATX scopes.

I think it would be a massive seller, well I want one.

Carry a smallish module to part replace a full scope and tripod and of course you still have your bins to use as normal.

This sort of gave me the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0BdZFYLmmo

Maybe that monocular is the answer so far? but I'm sure it could be done much better as I suggested above by adapting existing binoculars.

I like using 8x but say -as happens- I do come across some distant flocks then something like that would be perfect to get more amongst them when you have no scope along. I'd imagine a lot of people would find such a thing useful? Not everyone of course but it could also be a stepping stone to getting a scope and all the gear.

With image stabilizing technology having advanced so much it's probably the right time for somebody to offer it. I mean even Bresser and that other great optical brand Sunagor are doing it but it seems to be the same device.

Maybe I should get some crowd source funding here on BF and get it sorted!

Say $1 million each8-P The patent on that could be quite lucrative.;)

From my little experiment I'd say 14x stabilized with an 8x42 would be great of course there could be other combinations. My little 60mm scope goes up to 48x or something and it's still fairly bright. That 30mm Sunagor goes up to 20x, so what's not to say 30x with a 42mm bin?

Last edited:
Sunagor great optical brand. ?????

The limitation of that particular stabilised system is small size only at the moment.

There are modular monoculars and larger binoculars that take different eyepieces.

There have also been smaller binoculars with 2 or 3 turret eyepiece pairs.

It has all been done before. Long ago.

And for goodness sake. Don't believe everything you read in binocular adverts. A lot of it is for the truly gullible.

Sunagor great optical brand. ?????

The limitation of that particular stabilised system is small size only at the moment.

There are modular monoculars and larger binoculars that take different eyepieces.

There have also been smaller binoculars with 2 or 3 turret eyepiece pairs.

It has all been done before. Long ago.

And for goodness sake. Don't believe everything you read in binocular adverts. A lot of it is for the truly gullible.

You really thought I was serious about Sunagor? Riiiiiiight , ok.

So stabilisation has been around long ago and what I have been suggesting with a stabilised eyepiece module or booster for a binocular has already been done, long ago. For goodness sake man, tell us more. Amazing the facts you learn on here compared with binocular ads.

Even if some ideas have been tried before is it not possible that nowadays they could be reintroduced and better implemented.

I assume that you have never set eyes on that stabilised monocular and therefore never tried one.

The only real drawback I see with the booster idea is having to attach/unattach it to the bins to go from one to the other.

Last edited:
With image stabilizing technology having advanced so much it's probably the right time for somebody to offer it. I mean even Bresser and that other great optical brand Sunagor are doing it but it seems to be the same device.

I don't think there'll be any new[/] stabilized binoculars until fully digital binoculars (and scopes) arrive on the market. Even Canon that has all the technology needed doesn't go for a new generation of stabilized binoculars and sticks to what is essentially old technology in their stabilized bins.

Hermann

Hi Clive.
Thank goodness about Sunagor.

I thought you were talking about interchangeable eyepiece binoculars. There have been regular binoculars with these. It wasn't clear you also meant stabilisation, which has only been around since the 1980s.

As to not trying the stabilised, monocular. Correct. But a main importer gave us the details of these and other similar offerings, and as yet only for small apertures.

Did Nikon actually offer a stabilised scope?

My experience is only with stabilising up to 20 times. I don't know how high a magnification can benefit. I would like a really high mag stabilised instrument. At least 100x.

P.S.
I have tested about a dozen different varieties of stabilised instruments.

Last edited:
Just shooting around a few ideas.

I had a simple Opticron eyepiece 2.5x booster once but it was pretty dim fitted to my 10x42 DBA at the time (think it was really meant for the 8x42) and probably would still have been crap even with IS but still better than without.

Lets wait and see. Maybe someday a good solution will appear.

The only way to know is if somebody makes it and then see if it is effective and becomes popular.

I see they are charging well over £300 for the Sunagor/ Bresser version. That's a fare bit of cash for something rubbish. I wonder how useful/less it is? At 10x it's probably fine.

Doesn't seem to be much known about it.

Last edited:
Ok todays thought on this is, what if the Chinese brought out something like this stabilised module or binocular booster and it actually worked well?

Can you imagine the panic with the big Euro brands rushing to get out their versions8-P

It's bound to happen at some stage the way things are going that China leads instead of just clones things as a follower.

I shouldn't laugh but at least I might have a chance of affording one then since I no longer work in engineering or manufacturing probably thanks to all the offshoring. We are asleep here but hey at least we've got Financial Services, at the moment.

Happy Xmas. Same shit different year 3:)

I think that it may be Chinese made, maybe U.S. technology.

I am pretty sure that using camera stabilising technology 40x is now possible, but just not made.

The same situation as now occurs with nearly every binocular made that has a pitifully small field of view.

10x binoculars should provide a minimum 7.0 deg field, better 7.5 deg and for me 8.0 deg. I really don't care about reasonable short eye relief as I don't need glasses and neither do many others.
Unfortunately birdwatchers put up with small fields of view, so I don't get the binoculars I want.

Ok todays thought on this is, what if the Chinese brought out something like this stabilised module or binocular booster and it actually worked well?

Can you imagine the panic with the big Euro brands rushing to get out their versions8-P

Well, a decent stabilized scope at an affordable price would get my bucks.
The name does not matter, whether binocular booster or module, just something like the Nikon P900 lens with a decent eyepiece replacing the silicon sensor. This zooms to about 40x and the stabilization is very effective, for about $600.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back