• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Do You Pronounce ____________? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's start a petition to change its name to Hoopoopoo. Or Hūpupu to make it extra exotic and less scatological.

(The Dutch name is Hop, only to be outdone by German Wiedehopf – ever less accurate descriptions of its call).
But the German is surely "again hopf" which at least implies a repeating call?

John

What about 'Sprague'? I used to think it's 'Spr' + 'ague', Wikipedia has one name pronounced like 'plague', and--then--it could also potentially be 'S' + 'Prague'.

EDIT: Turns out, there's also desague (DEY-SAH-GWEY (?)).

Last edited:
I've always pronounced it as "Sprawg", although it's not really a species that comes up much in any conversations I've had. I'm sure I pronounced it that way in front of Americans before and no eyebrows were raised...

What about 'Sprague'? I used to think it's 'Spr' + 'ague', Wikipedia has one name pronounced like 'plague', and--then--it could also potentially be 'S' + 'Prague'.

EDIT: Turns out, there's also desague (DEY-SAH-GWEY (?)).

Spray -g but, if you compare the spelling and pronunciation of the Czech capital?

This sounding of an 'A' as 'Ar' in EVERY circumstance where there is an A, is a relatively new and very annoying thing for me, I've heard some ridiculous renderings of words and I won't say where it comes from, too many sensitive types here.

As we know English is complex and you also have to allow for local accents, some on this forum, to me would be 'ba*****s' but people from the South would call them 'bar'*****s. To me and most of my country men of my age it's always been Mon-a-co and Mi-la-n but many are now following the trend and it's 'Mon-ar-co' and 'Mi-lar-n'.

Last edited:
Sprague is a Devonian name from Old Middle English. I knew someone in the RAF whose surname was Sprague - he came from Devon and had a quite broad accent: his pronunciation was 'Sprag', but with a long 'a' sound... I'm told that other versions are available...
MJB

Sprague is a Devonian name from Old Middle English. I knew someone in the RAF whose surname was Sprague - he came from Devon and had a quite broad accent: his pronunciation was 'Sprag', but with a long 'a' sound... I'm told that other versions are available...
MJB
The same as I describe above, as if it were followed by an R''?

MJB
Just now, I've remembered
who was a German (maybe the surname has even more ancient Germanic roots)

Is that long "a" pronounced as in Prague, Pray, Pad or even Pug?

I've only ever heard people say Vox's in the US and Vaux himself said "Vawks"
It's well know that American's regular corrupt the pronunciation of their European, family names, why, who knows?

Here's an example that I hear a lot, name ' Rasmussen', pronouced usually as Ras-mu-ssen I believe but Americans usually say 'Raz-mew-sen.

It's well know that American's regular corrupt the pronunciation of their European, family names, why, who knows?

Here's an example that I hear a lot, name ' Rasmussen', pronouced usually as Ras-mu-ssen I believe but Americans usually say 'Raz-mew-sen.
Proper Danish pronunciation of that name is given here;

First syllable apparently rhymes with southern English arse i.e long a, no r sound

Pronouncing it like either razzle or wrasse is wrong

I very much doubt many British people get it right.

James

Proper Danish pronunciation of that name is given here;

First syllable apparently rhymes with southern English arse i.e long a, no r sound

Pronouncing it like either razzle or wrasse is wrong

I very much doubt many British people get it right.

James
This is how I have always understood it to be said.

But those people pronouncing it are American.

The point is that all of those pronunciations are “wrong” in the sense that they aren’t actually how that name would originally have been pronounced in Denmark or Norway or Sweden. So why arbitrarily decide that one new way is right and one way isn’t?

A couple of Danish pronunciations here

Norwegian

Swedish

Have you watched the video linked above? English and American people nativise/mangle the same loan words, foreign names etc in different ways, sometimes the English version will be closer to the original, sometimes the American way will

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back