• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2008 List Going? (1 Viewer)

I have not updated for a while due to computer problems, but two more today:

297. Sooty Shearwater
298. Sabine's Gull

Please note not all UK, my British List total is within the signature

Having a terrific year for shorebirds. I added four birds to my Year List, three of which were shorebirds. I have now seen more species of shorebirds in Indiana this year than I have seen in any other year. My Year List is now up to 425.

422. Red-necked Phalarope
423. Black Tern
424. Baird's Sandpiper
425. Marbled Godwit

The phalarope was an Indiana state lifer (number 290), the second in less than a week. And this was only the second time I've seen Marbled Godwit in Indiana.

My Indiana year list is now up to 236, which ties my record from last year of the most species seen in the state in a year.

Dave

Yesterday in Trinidad
#237. Nacunda Nighthawk.

A friend called to tell me he had spotted 10 of them on a roost the day before so we went back yesterday afternoon and they were still in the same area. Watched for 45 minutes till dusk when they took off to feed.

A few days in Cornwall then a drop in to Prawle Point on the way back added a few to my list.

245. Manx Shearwater
246. Arctic Skua
247. Storm Petrel
248. Great Skua
249. Sooty Shearwater
250. Balearic Shearwater
251. Rock Pipit
252. Pomarine Skua
253. Melodious warbler
254. Wryneck
255. Dotterel
256. Merlin
257. Cirl Bunting
258. Sabine's Gull

John

Last edited:
An addition at last.......

235 Red-necked Phalarope Swithland Res 26/08

Off down to clotted cream and pasty land for two weeks this aft, so hopefully I will have a few more to report when I get back.

Steve

Devon and Cornwall did not disappoint.

236 Dartford Warbler
237 Cirl Bunting
238 Semi-palmated Sandpiper (British and Euro tick)
239 Sooty Shearwater
240 Manx Shearwater
241 Balearic Shearwater
242 Great Skua
243 Storm Petrel
244 Grey Phalarope
245 Sabine's Gull
246 Great Shearwater
247 Cory's Shearwater
248 Melodious Warbler
249 Wryneck
250 Buff-breasted Sandpiper
251 Leach's Petrel

Steve

Best laid plans

I was hoping to boost my list with a week on the Upper Texas Coast during migration. Unfortunately, Hurricane Ike reduced the week to one day, which produced lots of good birds but no new ones. So I'm stuck on 207, which I reached with a trip to Denver in July.

I'm not sure I'll see many more new birds this year, because my favorite sites on and around the coast near Houston have been badly damaged or, in some cases, totally devastated. Sites that are unlikely to recover soon are Brazoria NWR, Anahuac NWR, Galveston, Surfside, Quintana, Bolivar Peninsula and High Island.

On a brighter note, personally anyway, I'll be spending a week in December at and around Big Bend and so I still have something to look forward to!

Jeff

244. Philadelphia Vireo, Missouri Western State University Campus, Saint Joseph, Missouri.
245. Black-crowned Night-Heron, Thompson River Wetland, Chillicothe, Missouri.

Not going to enter into a long tirade about a reported Pectoral Sandpiper at Thorney Island (suffice to say it was a Little Stint), but it did get me out of the house and contributed to the year list on Sunday as the comparison bird on the same pool was a Wood Sandpiper (year tick - wooo hooo) - and i was starting to worry that i may have missed it this year.

300. Spotted Crake
301. Wood Sandpiper

Up to Norfolk on Saturday, so hopefully a few more to add!

Popped over to Norfolk yesterday with some mates (including Hummerman) and managed three new birds for the year.

259. Blyths Reed Warbler (Lifer)
260. Yellow-browed Warbler
261. Red-necked Phalarope.

The Raddes Warbler was frustrating at Holkham Pines as it was calling and at one point must have been within ten feet of us. It was seen by others but we never got onto it in a 2+ hour search.

It's been three weeks since I've had a year tick, but I made up for it today with three good birds. My Year List is now up to 428.

426. Blackburnian Warbler
427. Cape May Warbler
428. Gray-cheeked Thrush

The Blackburnian Warbler was number 237 on my Indiana year list, which broke my previous record of the most birds seen in Indiana in a year. Not bad with three months left in the year.

Dave

The following birds were seen around Camp Clover Point in the Lake of the Ozarks State Park (Missouri) last week-end (September 26, 27 & 28).

246. Carolina Chickadee
247. Pine Warbler
248. Scarlet Tanager
249. Eastern Screech-Owl

Called into my Sutton Gault, Cambs, on Friday night on the way to my mates in Leiston, Suffolk. I got there late but managed to see the Glossy Ibis for 15 minutes before it flew off to roost.

262. Glossy Ibis.

I also bumped into Penny Clarke for the second time this week as she was already watching it as I arrived.

John

Fall migration seems to be slowing down a bit, as I haven't seen any expected migrants since last week. However, I did get a very rare vagrant to this part of the country which was an Indiana state lifer (my eighth of the year and number 291 on my Indiana state list). My Year List is now up to 429.

429. White-faced Ibis

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back