• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long do migrants spend at stopping point? (1 Viewer)

Millssg99

United States
I live in Houston, Texas and 3 Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks have spent two full days at my feeder. This surprises me. How long do they remain in one place?

A few variables.

It will depend on their physical condition when they arrive.

How far they've come and how far they've got to go.

Birds will usually build fat reserves before any long movements but if moving overland, nothing stops them dropping down for just half a day. Many rarities which get found, only stay a day and it's presumed that they go overnight.

Then there's the weather, birds seem to have a sense of when to go and will often wait for favourable weather conditions or at least, for adverse weather to abate.

thanks. they ended up staying three full days.
This probably suggests that they needed to build reserves before moving on. I just found some Golden Orioles and they were there for a minimum of two days before leaving, they were feeding in a very busy way, on one of their favourite foods, Mulbery.

Other birds have been there one day and gone the next. Apart from the Orioles, the only bird I've found that stayed more than a day was a Woodchat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back