• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird / Dominican Republic (2 Viewers)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Hello friends,

I believe this to be a female Hispaniolan Emerald.

Anyone could confirm please?

Thank you,

Jose

Edit: Alternatively it could be female Hispaniolan Mango, but I think it's an Emerald.

Attachments

• IMG_7175.JPG
    IMG_7175.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7178.JPG
    IMG_7178.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7193.JPG
    IMG_7193.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Looks good, but may depend on elevation.... The good book says not below 200 metres.

Thank you, Jon. I appreciate the feedback. You are right about the elevation, but in this case I spotted the bird near a beach.

From the Wikipedia: 'It inhabits the interior and edges of dense montane rainforest, scrublands, and coffee plantations. In elevation it mostly ranges between 300 and 2,500 m (980 and 8,200 ft) but is found as low as sea level and occasionally higher than 3,000 m (9,800 ft).

I've been looking at pics of female H. Emerald and H. Mango and they are mostly identical. It's a tough call.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I think it is the mango which would be more likely at sea level. I feel the bill is long, longer than on most of the emeralds I can find photos of and better fitting the mango.
Niels

I think it is the mango which would be more likely at sea level. I feel the bill is long, longer than on most of the emeralds I can find photos of and better fitting the mango.
Niels

Thank you, Niels. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the photos online and compared the 2 species.

Yes, by elevation and bill length it may as well be the Mango after all and not the Emerald, as I originally thought.

Thanks again for the input!

Jose

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back