• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID hawk - Germany (1 Viewer)

peggyo51

Hello,

I've just joined the forum, and look forward to becoming more active. I've just returned from two weeks on Cape Cod where we observed a huge variety of birds at the feeders in the backyard, and on the marsh. Many more osprey this year, two great blue herons, egrets, least bitterns, cormorants, kingfisher (a first for me!), plovers, tiny plover-like birds along the muddy banks that I could not ID, and gulls on the marsh. A flock of Canada geese arrived just two days before we left. The usual ground birds on land: jays, cardinals, nuthatches, finches, wrens, sparrows (including a marsh sparrow), tufted titmouse, beautiful red-bellied woodpeckers, crows (noisy and disrupted the whole scene each morning!), mourning doves, kingbird, hummingbirds, turkey vultures. A feast of birds...

Then my friend who had visited with me on the Cape emailed this photo of a bird in her backyard in Germany, outside of Cologne. Obviously a hawk, but I cannot find a photo to ID it. Does anyone know what kind of hawk this is - looks a bit like a falcon, and looks quite big. She said it had just eaten a crow and was very unafraid of her presence at the window. It's magnificent...

Attachments

• P1030142.JPG
    P1030142.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 81
  • P1030138.JPG
    P1030138.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P1030143.JPG
    P1030143.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi Peggy and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Thanks for your guesses, and welcomes, everyone.

I actually finally found the right ID for this very large hawk. It's not a sparrowhawk - although I can see the similarities - the scale in the photo isn't great, but it's much larger than that hawk appears to be.

It's, in American ID language, called a Northern Goshawk. Here's the link to the Cornell Ornithology site for a photo that is identical to the bird in my friend's backyard that day. She said it had just eaten a small blackbird, not a crow, as I'd originally written, although these hawks are said to be capable of taking a hare, or crows.

I have a juvenile red-tail hawk that occasionally visits my trees and have found similar, feathered remains on my grass. Poor things - they have no chance - and the spread pattern of the feathers shows how powerfully these hawks swoop down on their unsuspecting prey. Birds, I'm finding, are fascinating creatures. The more I explore, the more I want to know...

Anyway, mystery solved, and I appreciate the warm welcome to this site and your help!

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Goshawk/id

Last edited:
Hi peggy

Welcome to the forum (me registered just yesterday)

My opinion about the bird if i compare to the campfire size(60-70cm) the bird looks more of a Goshawk than a Sparrowhawk. The Goshawk easily can eat the Crow even a rabbit o:).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back