• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help - Peru - Part 2: Los AMigos (1 Viewer)

Semiramis

Hi,

My second post with photos from Peru, all these photos were taken in the Los Amigos Concession Area along the Madre de Dios (between Manu NP and Puerto Maldonado).

LA 01 In the field I thought it was just the “ regular” Buff-throated Woodcreeper, but the photos made me doubt, maybe Elegant Woodcreeper?

LA 02A/B Straight-billed Woodcreeper?

LA 03 Rufous-rumped Foliage-gleaner????

LA 04 The pattern on the wing suggests a Scale-backed Antbird?

Best wishes,

Sjef

Attachments

• LA 01.jpg
    LA 01.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 26
  • LA 02A.jpg
    LA 02A.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 22
  • LA 02B.jpg
    LA 02B.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
  • LA 03.jpg
    LA 03.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 32
  • LA 04.jpg
    LA 04.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 33
1. Would be nice to see entire bill but still looks more like a Buff-throated.

2. 3. Bill looks a bit too long and not white enough to be Straight-billed. Maybe a Buff-throated.

4. The wing pattern and shape point to Xenops but which one? Bill looks pretty straight, like a Straight-billed, but that has some streaking while plumage of this one looks more like a Plain.

5. Yes, Scale-backed.

More photos of the Furnarid LA03

Attached are 3 more photos, that's all I have.

The photo labeled LA 03B shows the white malar stripe more clearly.

Initially I also thought of Slender-billed Xenops, which were encountered fairly easily in the swampy floodplain forest in Los Amigos. The strange thing with this bird is that it doesn't have the streaks in the neck and appears to be darker overall (especially in the face). The other Slender-billed Xenopses I saw there always clearly showed the streaking in the neck and start of the back and the face was usually paler. This one also doesn't seem to have any streaking on the flanks, which Slender-billed Xenops usually has. Maybe this is a young bird?

Sjef

Attachments

• LA 03B.jpg
    LA 03B.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 20
  • LA 03BC.jpg
    LA 03BC.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 14
  • LA 03D.jpg
    LA 03D.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Jim, I will write it down as Plain Xenops. It is the first time I see this species with such a rather long and practically straight pointy bill but I just found that Restall in Birds of Northern South America also shows various subspecies with different bill lengths and thicknesses including the type of bill in my pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back