• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help - Sydney Lane Cove NP (1 Viewer)

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with these two birds. Taken recently in Lane Cove national park. I've tried ID'ing using Merlin app but couldn't find anything conclusive. One looks like some kind of wren but the red eye band is throwing me. The other one I'm really not sure.

Thanks,
Andrew

Attachments

• DSC06232_lightroomed.jpg
    DSC06232_lightroomed.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC06233_lightroomed.jpg
    DSC06233_lightroomed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC06305_lightroomed.jpg
    DSC06305_lightroomed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC06318_lightroomed.jpg
    DSC06318_lightroomed.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Hi Andrew and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

The first one is a fairywren, and I think it's a female Superb.

The other one is, I think, one of your many, many honeyeaters, but I'll leave that for the experts to advise you on.

Thanks Larry. I thought Variegated wasn't so likely in NSW..... also thought a Wattlebird but couldn't spot the wattles LOL

You're right it's a female superb. I love the look of the male one but I've never really noticed the female so closely before. And the I've looked up the Wattlebirds and it looks like a Little Wattlebird to me. Thank you very much :-D

Thanks Larry. I thought Variegated wasn't so likely in NSW..... also thought a Wattlebird but couldn't spot the wattles LOL
IIRC Superb Fairywren is much more common, and Red Wattlebird is much more common than Little Wattlebird too, but you do tend to get Variegated Fairywren in the kind of scrubby habitat that you get Little Wattlebird.

Field guides tend to be a bit basic when it comes to identifying Fairywrens other than breeding males. There are some good articles on the internet though I think, that should be easy to find.

IIRC Superb Fairywren is much more common, and Red Wattlebird is much more common than Little Wattlebird too, but you do tend to get Variegated Fairywren in the kind of scrubby habitat that you get Little Wattlebird.

Field guides tend to be a bit basic when it comes to identifying Fairywrens other than breeding males. There are some good articles on the internet though I think, that should be easy to find.
Yeah.... I saw far more Superb Fairwrens on my travels. And Red Wattlebirds seemed to be everywhere, the first time I came across Little Wattlebird was about 6 weeks into my trip and on the way up the coast somewhere en route to the Flinders Ranges.

Going by the field guide the description says
Variegated: lores + eye ring chestnut, blue wash on tail
Superb: lores + eye ring reddish-brown, blue-green wash on tail

Lightening the image a little should allow you to better judge the colors on these areas.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back