• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Song - NE Italy ... unfathomable!!! Phyllosc? (1 Viewer)

Touty

Hi All,

I'M TRANSLATING AND FORWARDING THIS MAIL FROM PIERLUIG TAIARIOL, AN ORNITHOLOGIST LIVING NEAR PORDENONE IN NE ITALY. I'VE ALREADY SENT IT TO EBN WITH NO JOY AND A VERY GOOD N. AM BIRDER SAYS IT ISN'T ANYTHING FROM NORTH OF THE U.S - MEXICAN BORDER.

REGARDS,

PAUL TOUT, TRIESTE, ITALY

Both yesterday morning (19/06) and this morning (20/06), in an area of ​​difficult access in Magredi (SCI / SPZ - a steppe-like area in the foothills of the eastern Alps, NE Italy, 46°N, 13°E) I heard and then recorded the song that you will find in the links below:

home.xnet.it/tout/song1.mp3

home.xnet.it/tout/song1.mp3

I could not see the bird because both yesterday and today, there was quite a strong wind has and the bird always remained well hidden in scrubland composed of willows and poplars. I noticed that the prefers to remain hidden among the willows, rather like a Phylloscopus warbler as well as in low dense mixed vegetation. The wind continuously moving the leaves made it very difficult to locate and see when it moved. I stayed for over an hour yesterday and today (I 'chatted' with him a lot* to try to photograph it or at least see it in passing but I managed to see the bird for just for a second and I mean what I say when I say a single second in the two hours of observation. From what was able to make out it is quite small in size, like a Phylloscopus sp. and from what little I saw the movements (and the style singing) I think that is close to the Phylloscopus family but could be something else.

The file number 1 contains the best of the recordings (made with a telephone), while the second file consists of four songs recorded yesterday and then pasted together in succession. As you will hear the song that it produced is relatively simple and monotonous, as the song begins rather like that of a Robin before rolling into a kind of trill. The whole time that I there it was singing regularly, always producing the same song. When stimulated by my imitation it answered after a few seconds. I have already checked with many songs of different families and species of birds but I can not find a song that comes close.

Perhaps some of you might have an idea of ​​what it might be?

Regards,

Pierluigi Taiariol

*(I SHOULD POINT OUT PIERLUIGI IS A SIMPLY BRILLIANT BIRD MIMIC, FAR AND AWAY THE BEST I HAVE EVER MET OR SEEN IN 37 YEARS OF BIRDING - PT)

Subject: Help Identificazione canto
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:18:06 +0200
To: [email protected]

Ieri mattine ed anche questa mattina, in un'area di difficile accesso nei magredi ho sentito e poi registrato il canto che troverete nel file in allegato.Non sono riuscito a vedere l'uccello perché sia ieri che oggi, c'era un vento abbastanza sostenuto è lui è sempre rimasto sempre ben nascosto in un siepe composto da salici e pioppi (ho notato che predilige rimanere nascosto tra i salici, tipo i luì) e una folta vegetazione mista di bassa altezza. Il vento muoveva continuamente le fogli e quindi era molto difficili individuarlo e vedere se si spostava, sono rimasto per più di un'ora sia ieri che oggi (ho dialogato con lui parecchio) per cercare di fotografarlo o perlomeno vederlo di sfuggita ma sono riuscito a vederlo solo per un secondo e quando dico un secondo intendo un solo secondo in due ore di osservazione. Da quello che ho visto è di dimensioni piuttosto piccole tipo luì e da quel poco che ho visto anche i movimenti (ed anche il canto) mi sembra che si avvicini di più alla famiglia dei luì, ma potrebbe essere anche altro.Il file numero 1 è il migliore che ho registrato, mentre il secondo file è composto da quattro canti registrati ieri e poi li ho incollati in successione. Come sentirete il canto che lui emetteva è relativamente semplice e monotono, inizia come il canto del pettirosso per poi sfociare in una specie di gorgheggio. Per tutto il tempo che sono rimasto li ha cantato con una certa regolarità emettendo sempre lo stesso canto, se stimolato dalla mia imitazione rispondeva dopo pochi secondi. Ho già controllato con molti canti di diverse famigli e specie di uccelli ma non riesco a trovarne un canto che si avvicini. Qualcuno di voi ha un'idea di cosa possa essere?

Pier Luigi

This recording reminds me a lot of those aberrant Garden Warbles (Sylvia borin) found every now and then. There should be a webpage containing a collection of such recordings, from variouse sites in Europe. I'll have a look around...

Once I heard a bird in America that sounded exactly like a Willow Warbler (I had recently been to the U.K.) and it turned out to be a House Finch.

Similar things have happened with other escaped cage birds. I wish that that "Firecrest" really was a Firecrest....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back