• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In my moth trap (1 Viewer)

Nerine

Well after the excitement on Saturday night (one clouded drab and a common pug, plus a few micros) I ran the trap again yesterday evening. Result: just one Emmelina monodactyla !

Nerine

I'm surprised you aren't getting more moths, Nerine. My trap has been very busy the last few nights (though no new species last night). Even though it has cooled off over night the evenings have been very mild. Is there too much light pollution where you are?
Ken

Surreybirder said:
I'm surprised you aren't getting more moths, Nerine. My trap has been very busy the last few nights (though no new species last night). Even though it has cooled off over night the evenings have been very mild. Is there too much light pollution where you are?
Ken

Not too much light pollution although there is a neighbour who will leave his bright outside light on all night. I've only had the trap going for a couple of hours each evening so far, being a bit scared the wind will blow up and it'll topple over. Last night were quite a few micros (I'm ignoring those at the moment). But I did get this Double Striped Pug! At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I had to use the flash so its colours aren't quite true.

How long do you leave the trap on for Ken? All night?
Maybe I should put the trap in a different part of the garden?

Nerine

Attachments

• double striped 12 Mar 2007.jpg
    double striped 12 Mar 2007.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Spot on with Double-striped Pug Gymnoscelis rufifasciata.

Leaving your trap on overnight will usually result in far more moths unless it's a cold night. Give it a go.

You are rapidly becoming a pug expert, Nerine.
I usually only run my trap till bedtime - I just don't seem to have the umph to deal with the trap before work in the a.m. In any case, the moths are far more active in the early part of the night at this time of year.
I wonder whether it would be worth experimenting with putting the trap in different positions?
Ken

Nerine said:
Not too much light pollution although there is a neighbour who will leave his bright outside light on all night. I've only had the trap going for a couple of hours each evening so far, being a bit scared the wind will blow up and it'll topple over. Last night were quite a few micros (I'm ignoring those at the moment). But I did get this Double Striped Pug! At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I had to use the flash so its colours aren't quite true.

How long do you leave the trap on for Ken? All night?
Maybe I should put the trap in a different part of the garden?

Nerine

Nerine,

Try tying the trap down. With lightweight traps I have found that four tent pegs and a couple of those short elasticated 'Spider' devices from a car accessory shop will hold down most things. Each length of these elasticated 'tie downs' has a hook on each end so it only takes seconds to fit up or take down.

Harry

Brian, Ken and Harry - thanks for all the useful advice.

I was out for the whole evening yesterday but couldn't resist turning on the trap around 11pm when I came in. It was quite a cold night (5 degrees), dark and starry. In the trap this morning were 2 early greys (new for me!) One of these is taken with a flash and one without. As long as there is something in the trap I'm not complaining but I may move its position next time.

Thanks again for all your help - I would never have thought of anchoring the trap with the "octupus" thing, Harry but I can see that it would work well.

Nerine

Attachments

• early grey.13 Mar 2007.jpg
    early grey.13 Mar 2007.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 162
  • early grey 13 Mar 2007 030.jpg
    early grey 13 Mar 2007 030.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 141
Surreybirder said:
Nerine, I keep a roof slate inside the bottom of my actinic trap to stop it blowing away... it's worked so far.
Ken

Thanks Ken. I'm away for a few days now but looking forward to more trapping when I get back next week. I can see this could become addictive!

Nerine

Only a few moths caught over the last week or so and just one new species for me (haven't been doing this for long remember!) which I am pretty sure is a common quaker. Is that mark an injury?

Nerine

Attachments

• moths 26 Mar 2007 006.jpg
    moths 26 Mar 2007 006.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 167
  • moths 26 Mar 2007 007.jpg
    moths 26 Mar 2007 007.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 129
Nerine said:
Only a few moths caught over the last week or so and just one new species for me (haven't been doing this for long remember!) which I am pretty sure is a common quaker. Is that mark an injury?

Nerine

Hi Nerine,
Not been mothing long myself, but I believe this to be normal-ish wear and tear. What, in the jargon, is referred to as a 'worn moth'.
I made the classic newbies mistake of trying to find a relative of the Large Yellow Underwing with a shiny bald head in the field guides before I realized that is often the first part of a moth to loose its scales.

Cheers,
Wendelio.

wendelio said:
Hi Nerine,
Not been mothing long myself, but I believe this to be normal-ish wear and tear. What, in the jargon, is referred to as a 'worn moth'.
I made the classic newbies mistake of trying to find a relative of the Large Yellow Underwing with a shiny bald head in the field guides before I realized that is often the first part of a moth to loose its scales.

Cheers,
Wendelio.

Thanks for the reply, Wendelio. I thought that might have been a "bite" or something on its shoulder. I'm still very much a newbie. I put the trap out last night as the temperature seemed quite mild but there was a wonderful, bright, full moon and nothing at all in the trap in the morning! I'm learning slowly by experience (I think.)

Nerine

Last night I caught

Brimstone Moth Opisthograptis luteolata (2) (first for year)
Garden Carpet Xanthorhoe fluctuata (first for year)
Hebrew Character Orthosia gothica (first for year)

also a pug that has escaped inside, hope to catch it.

quite a few micros which I ignore!

If anyone ever sees me make a wrong id please could you correct me!

Cheers

Nerine

Attachments

• Brimstone Opisthograptis luteolata 11 Apr.jpg
    Brimstone Opisthograptis luteolata 11 Apr.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Garden Carpet Xanthorhoe fluctuata 11 Apr.jpg
    Garden Carpet Xanthorhoe fluctuata 11 Apr.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Hebrew Character Orthosia gothica 11 Apr.jpg
    Hebrew Character Orthosia gothica 11 Apr.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 118
Left the trap turned on all night and in spite of continuous light rain from 4am onwards there was a small collection of moths.

3 hebrew characters
1 common quaker
1 clouded drab
1 shuttle-shaped dart Agrotis puta puta (new for me). Thanks to Ken and Harry for the id.

Nerine

Hi Nerine,

You've got some real beauties there. I really am thinking hard about getting a trap as my interest is getting stronger, I take it you're obviously very pleased with yours?

Sue.

Sue Wright said:
Hi Nerine,

You've got some real beauties there. I really am thinking hard about getting a trap as my interest is getting stronger, I take it you're obviously very pleased with yours?

Sue.

Go for it Sue! I got interested in moths a couple of years ago and spent two summers switching on outside lights and lighting up the house and opening windows. My husband must have got fed up with this so he bought me a moth trap! It's a simple 8W Rigid portable moth trap (like a bucket and a light tube on top) and I run it off a motorcycle battery (my son gave it to me for Christmas!) I'm very pleased so far. I know it doesn't catch as many moths as some traps would but I don't think I could cope with id-ing too many at the moment.

Somewhere here is a very useful thread about buying/making your own trap. I'll see if I can find it. I read somewhere that when you open up the trap in the morning it's like opening a surprise present! It's true and I am loving it!

Cheers

Nerine

The only problem is that it's highly addictive! Watch out or you'll be attending Mothtrappers Anonymous meetings!
I know it's ridiculous but I get pretty excited at the prospect of emptying the trap after a good night; and usually end up waking at dawn - which is bad news in the summer. (I cannot get back to sleep once I picture the robins and wrens eating my catch.)
Ken

Surreybirder said:
We could do with some of that rain, Nerine. There's already talk of a hosepipe ban here. Better wash the car!!
Ken

Still nice and moist down here, Ken, with a lot of coastal fog swirling around (I can hear the fog horn now).

Doesn't put the moths off though. This morning I had a nice collection, mostly ones I knew - Hebrew characters, Early greys, pugs galore, an angle shades (first this year) lovely! Also a new one for me, I think it's a Red twin-spot carpet. Tell me anyone if I'm wrong! I think these pugs are brindled and double striped. I also caught what I think are clouded drab but I'm putting those in the id section because I'm not sure and get confused with this species - they all look different. Also 2 more Shuttle-shaped darts but much darker than the one I trapped yesterday.

Nerine

Attachments

• Red twin spot carpet.jpg
    Red twin spot carpet.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 135
  • poss brindled.jpg
    poss brindled.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 114
  • poss double striped.jpg
    poss double striped.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 121
  • shuttle-shaped dart 13 Apr..jpg
    shuttle-shaped dart 13 Apr..jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 137
  • angle shades 13 Apr.jpg
    angle shades 13 Apr.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 129
Hi Nerine and Ken,

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I'll HAVE to go for it Nerine, otherwise it'll be like it's been here for the past couple of summers, just like you, with windows open and lights on to bring them in! It was amazing just how many I got like that.

Oh, indeed it is addictive Ken and that's just doing it as I have been, so look out when I do get a trap! I'm quite excited at the thought of seeing them all each morning!

Nerine, if you can find that thread I'd be so very grateful as my Husband would be more than interested in making one for me/us!

Thanks Nerine and Ken, your help is so very much appreciated.

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back