• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

As I understand it the new hide will be associated with the new visitor centre at the fishery. There will be a footpath out in to walk between the two hides. For me one opportunity missed would have been to put a third hide in midway on the footpath so the stretch of water which is to the left of the current hide could be viewed more easily. As it stands that stretch is too far from the current hide to see birds well and from seeing what is proposed will be too far from the new hide or completely hidden!

The walk down to the hide is very enjoyable. I had a wheatear and then a stonechat eating an enormous scary bug the other day on the wall in the top field.

Will this area still be accessible when the new entrance/path etc are completed next year?

This area will still be accessible and the bench can still be utilised!!!

Hi All

Paid a quite visit to Inner Marsh today with the wife, stayed for about an hour, would have liked to have stayed longer but as it was getting to be standing room only we thought it best to give up or seats.
Saw quite alot in the hour though
Lapwing
Red Shank
Snipe
Curlew Sandpiper
Black Tailed Godwit
Ruff
Long Billed Drowitcher was missing when we first arrived but few in after about 15min
Water Rail (x2)
Black Headed Gull
Common Gull
Teal
Pintail
Shovler
Hen Harrier

Was a pleasant hour with some good banter in the hide.

Tim.

It would be brilliant if a hide could be placed in the field at the back of the current building opposite car park and looking out over the marsh towards the Dee. A raised location to watch birds out on the marsh and flying by would interesting.

Dean:t:

It would be brilliant if a hide could be placed in the field at the back of the current building opposite car park and looking out over the marsh towards the Dee. A raised location to watch birds out on the marsh and flying by would interesting.

Dean:t:

It is our intention to eventually open a footpath to Burton Point - allowing unrivalled views along the estuary and to also include some interpretation about Burton Points itself.

It is our intention to eventually open a footpath to Burton Point - allowing unrivalled views along the estuary and to also include some interpretation about Burton Points itself.

Is this a path that will go across fields over the back of the current RSPB office where we park now. It was across fields from here that I was thinking of with great views from a lofty location over marsh.

I was there for the day with some RSPB volunteers about 3 years ago and went for a walk around the back of the office and across field and I thought what a great view over the marsh towards the Dee. Also had great views of birds flying over head down towards the pools. Need a hide there for cold breezy/windy days.

Dean

Last edited:
Is this a path that will go across fields over the back of the current RSPB office where we park now. It was across fields from here that I was thinking of with great views from a lofty location over marsh.

I was there for the day with some RSPB volunteers about 3 years ago and went for a walk around the back of the office and across field and I thought what a great view over the marsh towards the Dee. Also had great views of birds flying over head down towards the pools. Need a hide there for cold breezy/windy days.

Dean

A slightly shorter path from the arable field over the lower railway bridge and out across the fields to Burton Point is the preferred option I think ... equally good views over the estuary and pools.

Watch this space though

Nice visit this pm! Pleasantly surprised to see the dowitchers back! Showing well infront of the hide

Also 11 golden plover, snipe out in the open and the water rail was out a lot.

1 spotted redshank, 1 curlew sandpiper & loads of all the other regulars!

No sign of the spoonbill tho!

Evening all

I was one of the first people in the hide this morning (first bar the RSPB staff I believe*) and the Dowitchers and Spoonbill were out of sight on no. 1 pool to begin with. Spoon bill came into veiw feeding around the islands, then preened for a bit and flew off at 10:20. It appeared to fly out towards the Dee but of course I cant be sure. By that point the Dowitchers were showing at the back but elusive until a Sparrowhawk flushed everything and they came over to no. 2 pool.
Curlew sand remained mostly out of sight and best veiws were of it flying. 2 Spotted redshanks showed well and Ruff mainly on no. 1 pool. At least 1 Raven over (2 passes) and Siskins heard over the woodland.

* What time can you get in? Is 9am the earliest?

Gareth

Last edited:
Went along this afternoon til dusk and had very good views of Water Rail and Merlin, plus golden plover, godwits, lapwings etc missed the LBDs but they had been seen earlier.

I guess some people are new to birding and no doubt my taking record shots upsets some but even as a newbie I'm always careful to be quiet in hides/not slam the door etc but today there were a few loud conversations and slammed doors...once it quietened down though the Rail appeared and fed quite confidently - every cloud... and all that!

Couple of the best shots - shame I'd had to boost the ISO to get a half decent shutter speed but I'm still learning!

Attachments

• Water Rail.jpg
    Water Rail.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0942.jpg
    DSC_0942.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Nice shots Pitvar!! Always a tricky species to phtotgraph even when they come close like here at IMF. Just as you get them in focus, having crept from the vegetation, they do a runner!!

CB

Nice shots Pitvar!! Always a tricky species to phtotgraph even when they come close like here at IMF. Just as you get them in focus, having crept from the vegetation, they do a runner!!

CB

Thanks CB - it was really tricky - if it had crept out from hiding 30 mins earlier I'd have been OK with the light but as you say it crept around the edges then dashed across the scrapes! I probably should have taken more shots but I was pleased just to able to watch it without needing the bins!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back