• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

IOC List 2.1 (1 Viewer)

Sally Conyne

Hi Bird Forum

Version 2.1 of the IOC World Bird List was released on May 13, 2009. It contains 10,340 species classified in 39 Orders, 224 Families and 2198
Genera.
Highlights include addition of 14 species, including 8 albatross species, and 19 English name changes including the Madeiracrest to Madeira Firecrest and Pediunker to Grey Petrel.

We look forward to comments and corrections.

Sally Conyne & Frank Gill

Hi Bird Forum

Version 2.1 of the IOC World Bird List was released on May 13, 2009. It contains 10,340 species classified in 39 Orders, 224 Families and 2198
Genera.
Highlights include addition of 14 species, including 8 albatross species, and 19 English name changes including the Madeiracrest to Madeira Firecrest and Pediunker to Grey Petrel.

We look forward to comments and corrections.

Sally Conyne & Frank Gill

Oh great! I just got done updating my Life List and photos with the v2.0 changes.

Ha! Lumping and splitting as an olympic event?
, but will the judges like it?"

I guess there's plenty for taxonomists to discus before getting over the first hurdle and having a shot at putting taxa at the right level. They seem to medal with it all too much, and if you ask me some of them ought to be for the high jump.

Last edited:
Ha! Lumping and splitting as an olympic event?
"Oh, and the lumping of all the Anser geese - very controversial, but will the judges like it?"

Never mind the geese, what about the gulls!

Olympic listing? Day or year? Could start the year before the Olympics, or finish the year after.....

Incidentally I think its Congress, not Committee.

John

Last edited:
Bizarrely, they have various proposed splits referenced to Robb and Mullarney which I presume is the Petrels Night and Day book. Great book though it is, it is no authority for species recognition. They'll be using field guide decisions next.......

Bizarrely, they have various proposed splits referenced to Robb and Mullarney which I presume is the Petrels Night and Day book. Great book though it is, it is no authority for species recognition. They'll be using field guide decisions next.......

Interesting. Just another seat-of-the-pants checklist for "world birders", is that what you're saying?

The IOC is not proposing these splits. As the title and the page description say - "Species on this working list will be added to the World List or deleted from this page after further review and community decisions." These decisions are made by groups such as the SACC.

The 2.1 updates (based on this type of review and decision making) are found here: ttp://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates.html

Also, would you let me know if anyone continues to have trouble with links or excel files. I have not been able to duplicate the problem mentioned earlier.

Thanks,
Sally

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back