• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this a Purple Finch ? (1 Viewer)

The two on the right are Purple Finches, if those are the ones you mean? The one to the immediate left of them looks like a Goldfinch. The other two are species of sparrows.

Welcome to Birdforum James from Texas! I assume this is where you photographed these? - next time, please can you include the location in the title of your thread, it helps other members to focus on the threads they are able to help with. Thanks πŸ™‚

Last edited:
The two on the right are Purple Finches, if those are the ones you mean?

Welcome to Birdforum James from Texas! I assume this is where you photographed these? - next time, please can you include the location in the title of your thread, it helps other members to focus on the threads they are able to help with. Thanks πŸ™‚
Yes thank you , EBird says they are Rare in my Area . Yes I am In East Texas sorry , San Augustine Texas .

While the first bird to the left of the American Goldfinch does look like a spizella, presumably Chipping Sparrow, the bird furthest to the left is a female Purple Finch, with it's characteristic large white eyebrow.
Thank yes we Identified the chipping sparrow , did not know about the female Purple Finch , thank you again .

Yes, agree the bird on the far left is a female Purple Finch - I hadn’t got that far - as Connorco says, the white supercilium, but note the dark ear covert patch (particularly a PF feature as House Finch can show white eyebrows and streaking on the flanks )

Last edited:
Yes, agree the bird on the far left is a female Purple Finch - I hadn’t got that far - as Connorco says, the white supercilium, but note the dark ear covert patch (particularly a PF feature as House Finch can show white eyebrows and streaking on the flanks )

I wonder if particularly harsh weather has pushed more birds West James, so there are larger numbers around than normal or they are just visiting feeders more this winter and people are noticing them more as a result?
We have seen 4 birds so far that EBird says are rare in our area . But the Purple Finch has been around here for about a year now . We watch our feeders a lot , just more than usual numbers this year .Since January we have gone through about 400 pounds of bird seed since January so far .
we have 12 feeders , and 6 suet feeders .

Wow that’s a lot of feeders to clean every few weeks - I must admit, I have lots of spares so just replace the soiled feeders with a clean one and eventually have a feeder cleaning session when I have time! πŸ™‚ I get through about 25kg every 3 weeks or so, so no where near as much as you.

I agree, 3 Purple Finches, and single Chipping Sparrow, American Goldfinch and Pine Siskins.

Purple Finches would not be in eastern Texas all year round, but the similar-looking House Finch is present all year round.

Wow that’s a lot of feeders to clean every few weeks - I must admit, I have lots of spares so just replace the soiled feeders with a clean one and eventually have a feeder cleaning session when I have time! πŸ™‚ I get through about 25kg every 3 weeks or so, so no where near as much as you.
Yes we spend some time cleaning , but oh so worth it .

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back