• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker continued (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the (former?) range of that bird.
Grew up along the Mississippi, where the ancient stands of bald cypress, and tupelo nurtured generations of the Ivory bill.

The river channelized, the habitat erased, the entire ecosystem gone for the most part.
The hope exist, but realistically, I doubt the bird does
Are you aware of the newer research that shows the IBWO can exist in other types of habitat that still include beetle larvae and trees? There are millions of acres like this in the US SE.

This is done with motions of cars in racing simulator games, and these are easy to tell from the real ones. And natural settings are harder to replicate. So, no.
The technology is advancing very rapidly (eg as in deepfake videos as discussed elsewhere with AI). Pretty scary.

With natural settings and replicating poor or reasonable footage it won't be long, if not already, that it will be almost impossible to tell the difference. That isn't to say that you'd assume someone would try for neferious purposes - hopefully not.

The technology is advancing very rapidly (eg as in deepfake videos as discussed elsewhere with AI). Pretty scary.

With natural settings and replicating poor or reasonable footage it won't be long, if not already, that it will be almost impossible to tell the difference. That isn't to say that you'd assume someone would try for neferious purposes - hopefully not.
Well, in that case the independent reviewing process of such "evidence" would need to become tougher and (even) more demanding. And hopefully, people putting FW any obtained evidence would want it to be properly independently reviewed, so that no doubts would remain.

If you think the IBWO exists, get a photo or a film. Accept from the start that people will ask for it.

Deb: but everyone knows that ornithological circles did keep secrecy in a coordinated manner in the 2000s, when said sightings of IBWO happened. So a conspiracy is possible.
The ’conspiracy’ I was referring to was an image that disappeared from the thread (ie I was jokingly suggesting it wasn’t there in the first place 😉) However, I am not sure what those searching for the IBWO (apparently live and well in Arkansas somewhere perhaps) - what they would gain from keeping it a secret. Is that why there is no public evidence - because it’s a ‘secret’?

Btw - everyone knows that wasnt really the Queen on Channel 4 on Christmas day, so technology still has to go a bit further before it can convince the world it is looking at a video of an IBWO although it would probably be easier to fake some double knocks deep in some Louisiana swamp than 10 minutes of HRH addressing the nation from a drawing room Windsor Castle.

Last edited:
This is done with motions of cars in racing simulator games, and these are easy to tell from the real ones. And natural settings are harder to replicate. So, no.
Because these racing simulations have to be calculated in realtime on a moderate computer and everything including the surroundings are artificially generated. But that is not the approach I would follow to generate a realistic looking IBWO video. I would take existing footage of a Pileated Woodpecker and modify just the woodpecker, its flight pattern, movements and calls. Everything else would be real. And this doesn't have to happen in realtime. You can keep tuning it based on the best footage we have (from the 1930's) and everything else that is known about the IBWO until it looks totally convincing.

Btw: I find it funny when the same people who are convinced of IBWO survival based on a few seconds footage of out of focus blobs think that they are going to be able to tell a well engineered deep-fake from real. This seems like a real contradiction to me. No offence intended :)

Last edited:
Btw: just an example what artificial intelligence can already do.
NONE of the people below actually exist. They are generated by an algorithm.

AIFaces.jpg

However, I am not sure what those searching for the IBWO (apparently live and well in Arkansas somewhere perhaps) - what they would gain from keeping it a secret. Is that why there is no public evidence - because it’s a ‘secret’?
I was referring to the fact that when the IBWO was seen in the 2000s, secrecy was successfully kept for about a year, when about seven people saw it, a film was taken, a bird conservation society was contacted and purchased land. The secrecy was lifted only when a major politician was about to announce development of the area (please, I am writing from memory, I can be wrong in details). There were similar cases in Britain when secrecy of rare breeding birds was kept for years. So basically yes, secrecy might be maintained by one disciplined group of people.

But with independent searches it would be uncovered, as you said, so IBWO for now does not exist.

Refering to the computer technology, I think still more could be done by correcting poor quality videos with black and white colors 'leaking' on the surrounding area, to prove that the supposed IBWOs were Pileateds or were not.

Are you aware of the newer research that shows the IBWO can exist in other types of habitat that still include beetle larvae and trees? There are millions of acres like this in the US SE.

Sure, I am aware of that.
The stand of short leaf pine on my place is fully capable of sustaining red-cockaded woodpeckers (Dryobates borealis).
Another North American Picidae in trouble.

Surely, you've come across them if you venture beyond Manitee State park,
and its 800 acres full of bald cypress and tupelo.

We all know the story about the formerly extinct black-footed ferret (Mustela nigripes).
A population re-discovered in 1981
On private ground, not public ground.

The black-footed ferret and red-cockaded reintroduction is going well, albeit slowly
A couple things they have in common.
Both programs rely on private partnering with caring and willing landowners.
Both programs avoid facebook like the plague

I was referring to the fact that when the IBWO was seen in the 2000s, secrecy was successfully kept for about a year, when about seven people saw it, a film was taken, a bird conservation society was contacted and purchased land. The secrecy was lifted only when a major politician was about to announce development of the area (please, I am writing from memory, I can be wrong in details). There were similar cases in Britain when secrecy of rare breeding birds was kept for years. So basically yes, secrecy might be maintained by one disciplined group of people.

But with independent searches it would be uncovered, as you said, so IBWO for now does not exist.

Refering to the computer technology, I think still more could be done by correcting poor quality videos with black and white colors 'leaking' on the surrounding area, to prove that the supposed IBWOs were Pileateds or were not.
The site of rare, breeding birds nests in the UK, are always witheld due in no small part, to the fact that we have egg collectors in this country.

I don't think the two examples are comparable.

Because these racing simulations have to be calculated in realtime on a moderate computer and everything including the surroundings are artificially generated. But that is not the approach I would follow to generate a realistic looking IBWO video. I would take existing footage of a Pileated Woodpecker and modify just the woodpecker, its flight pattern, movements and calls. Everything else would be real. And this doesn't have to happen in realtime. You can keep tuning it based on the best footage we have (from the 1930's) and everything else that is known about the IBWO until it looks totally convincing.

Btw: I find it funny when the same people who are convinced of IBWO survival based on a few seconds footage of out of focus blobs think that they are going to be able to tell a well engineered deep-fake from real. This seems like a real contradiction to me. No offence intended :)
The Pileated is too different.

The ’conspiracy’ I was referring to was an image that disappeared from the thread (ie I was jokingly suggesting it wasn’t there in the first place 😉) However, I am not sure what those searching for the IBWO (apparently live and well in Arkansas somewhere perhaps) - what they would gain from keeping it a secret. Is that why there is no public evidence - because it’s a ‘secret’?

Btw - everyone knows that wasnt really the Queen on Channel 4 on Christmas day, so technology still has to go a bit further before it can convince the world it is looking at a video of an IBWO although it would probably be easier to fake some double knocks deep in some Louisiana swamp than 10 minutes of HRH addressing the nation from a drawing room Windsor Castle.
Most if not all of the info is accessible to the public, and the difference between a studied opinion of the topic, or an amateur opinion, shows readily.

A notable exception to accessible information, at the moment, is Project Principalis--

Occam's Razor (the simplest explanation) works for the IBWO-- the bird is just extremely hard to find.

Then

Occam's Razor (the simplest explanation) works for the IBWO-- the bird is just extremely hard to find.
So you're basically saying that birders in the US can't bird for toffee, and there's been a whopping great Campephilus in their back yard avoiding their lists by climbing round the backs of trees for several decades 😁.

quite an insult to the birding community really.

Feel free to say that UK birders are rubbish too, if we end up proving we've still got Great Auks ducking behind boulders on our shoreline somewhere.

Most if not all of the info is accessible to the public, and the difference between a studied opinion of the topic, or an amateur opinion, shows readily.
So, the IBOW is extant but it’s because I am an ‘amateur’ the evidence fails to impress me? 🙄

So just to clarify - (re. Larry’s comments too above), not only are US birders are rubbish but UK birders need some kind of professional forensic qualification to interpret the ‘evidence’?

Last edited:
Feel free to say that UK birders are rubbish too, if we end up proving we've still got Great Auks ducking behind boulders on our shoreline somewhere.
I remember reading several years ago (IIRC in British Birds 'News & Comment' section), there was an American university which was sending an expedition to a 'remote group of islands' where they thought Great Auks might have survived undetected . . . Orkney 🤪🤪🤪

2. The IBWO is a rare, low-density semi-nomadic species with a flee distance of about 100 meters that lives in heavily wooded areas, has great vision, and uses trees to hide behind. Enough said with difficulty to photograph.

ii. Do not use double knock sounds. There is evidence these are territorial and will cause interest but not close approach.

iii. Do not search in "likely habitat." There is evidence that IBWOs are more generalized feeders, and more adaptable to habitat including trees, than generally believed. And, they are very rare. So, follow up probable sightings and concentrate on these spots.

iv. There is evidence that "single knocks" for IBWOs are positional for family units. Use these sporadically, and listen for responses or watch for sightings.

None of this is supported by evidence and is supposition to explain the absence of evidence.

So, the IBOW is extant but it’s because I am an ‘amateur’ the evidence fails to impress me? 🙄

So just to clarify - (re. Larry’s comments too above), not only are US birders are rubbish but UK birders need some kind of professional forensic qualification to interpret the ‘evidence’?
What is the extent of your studies for the IBWO?

So you're basically saying that birders in the US can't bird for toffee, and there's been a whopping great Campephilus in their back yard avoiding their lists by climbing round the backs of trees for several decades 😁.

quite an insult to the birding community really.

I basically said exactly what I said.

What is the extent of your studies for the IBWO?

Of course, if all the above containing a plethora of information and examples of ‘evidence’ is worthless tripe then I guess my ‘studies’ don’t stand up to much and I should stop reading these IBOW threads - I just thought the people that have contributed to/started threads here were also the same people involved in the search and/or claimed to have seen the IBOW.

Is there more ‘evidence’ that hasnt been linked to or directly posted on Birdforum in the past 15 years or so, that I should avail myself of?

Of course, if all the above containing a plethora of information and examples of ‘evidence’ is worthless tripe then I guess my ‘studies’ don’t stand up to much and I should stop reading these IBOW threads - I just thought the people that have contributed to/started threads here were also the same people involved in the search and/or claimed to have seen the IBOW.

Is there more ‘evidence’ that hasnt been linked to or directly posted on Birdforum in the past 15 years or so, that I should avail myself of?
There is much more to read than this forum's sections. If they are like this thread, or the one Collins began... self-evident, point made. From my initial post--

"The more you read about IBWO evidence (Collins, Mark Michaels, Cornell, Auburn with Geoff Hill, Dan Mennill acoustic data, Bobby Harrison, Tim Gallagher, Martjan Lammartink, people involved in the Cuban efforts, sorry if I am leaving anyone else out), the more you believe."

You cannot come up to speed on this quickly. And since you have a hint of sarcasm, forgive me if I do not respond further?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back