• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (4 Viewers)

But wait, there's more irony to be found...

“We saw plenty of pileateds from the air, and could even photograph the majority of them as they flushed on either side of the aircraft’s flight path,” Lammertink says. “But what we saw was a small percentage of the birds we know are actually there, based on population-density surveys we’ve done on the ground in previous years. With a bird as rare as the ivory-bill—and if it flushes as infrequently as the Pileated Woodpeckers do—there’s practically no chance of seeing it from the air.”
But wait just a minute, what about the famous sighting quoted by Matt Mendenhall in his 2005 article in Birder's World here:
5. Altamaha River Basin, Georgia, 1958
Observer: Ornithologist and forest ecologist Herbert Stoddard, who devoted the final years of his life to a study of bird kills at a north Florida television tower. Notable: Stoddard reported seeing the bird from a distance of 50 yards while he was flying in a small plane.​
Seems like at least one Ivorybill in Georgia flushed for an aircraft. (Or perhaps the report was unreliable? Could that be?) Clearly, the Arkansas birds are different. Wait, it is Pileateds that don't flush--we know nothing about Ivorybills--that got lost in the Cornell press release somehow. Amazing, the Cornell Ivorybill team has morphed into the Cornell Pileated team. That is just a trifle ironic! And a wonderful feat of circular logic--we know the IBWO are there, but we don't observe them, so they must not flush. We verified this hypothesis by studying Pileateds, which aren't even very closely related to Ivorybills, but Pileateds don't flush frequently, verifying that our lack of observation of Ivorybills supports the idea of their presence. I think they just sprained their cerebral cortices with that logic. Ouch!

Of course, the apparent contradictions are in line with the known behavior of 21st century IBWO. It seems that every population of Ivorybill is different from every other one and/or the birds studied when they were known to be extant. Now they don't flush for helicopters, but one did once for a plane, and you have to wear camo on the ground or they will flush and fly across the county; they don't call, but we hear them on ARU's; they are nomadic and wander widely, but they live only in remote areas and never wander into populated ones. Clearly the 21st century Ivory-bill is the Walt Whitman of birds, taking Song of Myself to heart:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)​

I thought that the whole point of the helicopter surveys was to cover more ground than you could on foot. That there was some hidden population of breeding IBWOs deep in the forest inaccessible by foot or canoe. Guess if they don't flush, they are still there waiting to be discovered.
waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....
Of course there are hidden populations--true believers can find them, just not any of those pointy-headed intellectual Ivy-league types. The Ivy Leaguers, however, are not just waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....; they are spending.....spending.....spending..... The end of the fiscal year is fast approaching, and that helicopter sure was good for burning the last bit of cash in the grant. Can't leave grant money unspent--that would violate the prime directive of academics.

Live long and prosper, Cornell. Long may your studies of Pileateds (err, Ivorybills) go on!

Last edited:
The end of the fiscal year is fast approaching, and that helicopter sure was good for burning the last bit of cash in the grant. Can't leave grant money unspent--that would violate the prime directive of academics.

This is federal money, which, if not spent, simply disappears....No lie...it's gone....no one knows where it goes....I mean someone probably does, but they really can't tell you. I believe, personally, it goes into a slush fund for booze & hookers, but I can't prove that.

Can't leave grant money unspent--that would violate the prime directive of academics.

In fairness, it's not really the fault of the academics. In many cases if the grant money remains unspent it is seen as an indicator by the administrators of funding bodies that future grants will not need to be as high as requested. In effect, thrift is punished under standard research grant schemes.

And a wonderful feat of circular logic--we know the IBWO are there, but we don't observe them, so they must not flush. We verified this hypothesis by studying Pileateds, which aren't even very closely related to Ivorybills, but Pileateds don't flush frequently, verifying that our lack of observation of Ivorybills supports the idea of their presence. I think they just sprained their cerebral cortices with that logic. Ouch!
Uh, right... whose logic is this again? Could it be... Son of Straw Man? :eek!: Oh no, no! NO!!! Eeeeek!

8-P

Top Secret

Does anyone here ever check out the website, "Birding is Not a crime"? You can find it here:
http://birdingisnotacrime.blogspot.com/
Look at the entry for Wednesday, 27th February, 2008. I was surprised the read the following:

When we (presumably the BINAC team) walked off the plane from Tokyo we were handed a large package with a return address in Louisiana marked "Top Secret Irrefutable IBWO Evidence".

Now what's that all about, does anyone know?

I don't know either

When we (presumably the BINAC team) walked off the plane from Tokyo we were handed a large package with a return address in Louisiana marked "Top Secret Irrefutable IBWO Evidence".

I wonder too. His latest entries refer to IBWOs as well.

The blog-owner has a delightfully bent sense of humor and just recently decorated the blog as a Mexican flag. So I'm not sure how seriously I should take the IBWO posts -- I'm reading it as a parody of Important Announcements from the pro-IBWO camp that never amount to anything definitive. But, my assessment could be wrong!

Does anyone here ever check out the website, "Birding is Not a crime"? You can find it here:
http://birdingisnotacrime.blogspot.com/
Look at the entry for Wednesday, 27th February, 2008. I was surprised the read the following:

Ages ago, BINAC was quite determined to take the p**s out of Bill Smith, whom he/she/they referred to as Mr Guppy. See here.

Hinac

Thank you, Microtus and Rediscovered. I'm obviously not a true aficionado of these blogs! I looked at some of the old comments. Such fury and passion.

I must admit that I was hoping that BINAC's recent comments were a bit like some April Fool jokes. You know - you chuckle at the supposed joke, but then find out that it is indeed true after all.

For unashamedly I belong to Hinac - Hoping is Not a Crime.;)

signing off for now

Looks like another search season has come and gone without a shred of evidence that the IBWO exists. I've gone from a daily viewer of this thread to checking in once every couple weeks. The passion for the rediscovery is waning as I sense the federal funding for the bird will dry up soon enough as well. That leaves the grass root searchers in various states to carry the mantle of hope for the ghost bird. Alot of the hope I had for the birds survival has diminished as well. Have a nice spring and summer everyone. I'll check back for an update this fall.

From Neil Young's Prairie Wind album, a beautiful song that is the coda to our beloved bird--here are the words as a train pulls away and picks up speed in one of the last stanzas performed for the Heart of Gold concert.

It's gone
It's only a dream,
And it's fading now
Fading away…

It's only a dream
Just a memory,
Without anywhere
To stay…

From Neil Young's Prairie Wind album, a beautiful song that is the coda to our beloved bird--here are the words as a train pulls away and picks up speed in one of the last stanzas performed for the Heart of Gold concert.

It's gone
It's only a dream,
And it's fading now
Fading away…

It's only a dream
Just a memory,
Without anywhere
To stay…

Never been a Neil Young fan... he did some stuff with Pearl Jam back in the early 90's that was a little better... but not much.

Cheers,

Russ

more Cornell updates, including that white trailing edge

Cyberthrush noted that Cornell's Mobile Search Team has a recent update (here), and there is also a recent update, apparently, to the Arkansas Search Team log. I had not noticed these because the recent updates were not noted on the Updates from the Lab page--I think previous search team updates were linked there.

The usual excitement. The mobile team apparently did a bunch of searching in mangrove forests in Florida. They saw some Florida panthers (cool!). They had the usual scary cottonmouth and mosquito encounters. There are great photos of various flora and fauna, including an orchid, dolphins, Frigatebird, Brown Noddy, and fiddler crabs. (Brown Noddy you say? Some of the team took a trip to the Dry Tortugas. Perhaps they expected nomadic IBWO from Cuba to stop by to rest on their way to the Florida mangroves.) There is only one gastronomic update that I noted--a trip to Lambert's Cafe, apparently the one in Foley, Alabama. They throw rolls.

The Arkansas search team traveled to southwest Arkansas and had an exciting encounter with a large, dark woodpecker while investigating extremely promising scaling:
And then it happened. Shortly after starting our watch, we spotted a large black woodpecker flying down the trail toward us. It turned and there was no black trailing edge on the wings as there would be on a pileated, only white.... This was our moment of triumph. We had it. We found our bird. Our cameras were aimed. The bird landed on top of one of the trees with scaling—and let out the laughing call of a Pileated Woodpecker....Upon closer inspection with our binoculars, we discovered that it was missing all of its secondary feathers. Flying against the overcast sky, the lack of the black secondaries made it appear that it had a white trailing edge when all we were seeing was sky where feathers should have been.​
Clearly, their mistake was to get more than a brief look. If it had just been that first look, it would have been a "possible" sighting.

Gosh, this trailing white edge business--sounds familiar. Oh never mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back