• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (9 Viewers)

Mary Scott and Choupique1

Has Mary Scott given up? Does anyone know? Anyway, she says goodbye here:http://www.birdingamerica.com/
Ah, this delightfully baffling thread.

I think I'll try calling on Choupique1 again.

Choupique1. I'm looking for clarification. Please!!
I refer to post 13179 on 11th April 2008.
What did you mean by "about to be game over"?
and .........."believers win"?
Do you really know something? Can you tell?

Has Mary Scott given up?
This is amazing. It's also a disturbing example of the ephemeral nature of internet documents. Not only does her main page say goodbye, but all pages, including the story of her sighting and others, are simply gone. They’re just a memory.

Arkansas Search Team March 31 - April 6 update:
Yes, this entry does support the diagnostic nature of first-impressions-without-a-better-look as indicative for the presence of IBWOs. Let’s not fault the observers, though; they put it all down and are to be commended for that.

Nevertheless, isn’t something missing? Isn't there something else one should say about this? To me, it represents a rare case of actually determining the source of a possible ivory-bill encounter.

Remember, at the beginning of their entry they say that they were sent there "to follow up on reports of possible ivory-bill encounters." They then examine "some of the best scaling that either of us has ever seen" (tight bark was peeled) and see a Pileated Woodpecker that appeared to have a white trailing edge to its wings land "on top of one of the trees with the scaling."

This is extraordinary. How rare is it to actually find the source of an (erroneous) ivory-bill report? Never mind. I forgot that we should be "Evaluating Evidence of Persistence for Ivory-billed Woodpecker" (see talk by W. C. Hunter) not simply evaluating evidence. For those who would argue this search team’s sighting would not have been counted as a possible encounter of the Ivory-billed kind, think again. One need only stop reading at the lines: "This was our moment of triumph. We had it. We found our bird. Our cameras were aimed."

Anniversaries?
April 28th was the 3-year anniversary of the announcement at the Department of Interior, where it was stated unequivocally and in these words precisely: "The Ivory-billed Woodpecker has been rediscovered." To make it easy to remember, this date is close to a May 1st anniversary of sorts, yesterday being five years since president Bush landed on an aircraft carrier with the banner "Mission Accomplished" behind him. How we wish both were so.

Has Mary Scott given up?
This is amazing. It's also a disturbing example of the ephemeral nature of internet documents. Not only does her main page say goodbye, but all pages, including the story of her sighting and others, are simply gone. They’re just a memory.
There's still a bit too find in Google's cache...

I expect reports of Xerces Blue soon.

wayback/Xerces Blue

Has Mary Scott given up?
The Wayback Machine has plenty on that site.

...I expect reports of Xerces Blue soon.
Darn, you beat me to this one!

Arkansas Search Team March 31 - April 6 update:
Yes, this entry does support the diagnostic nature of first-impressions-without-a-better-look as indicative for the presence of IBWOs. Let’s not fault the observers, though; they put it all down and are to be commended for that.
Yes, that was very bold of them to write the report that way. I wonder if some of the people on the ground are trying to drop a hint to the higher-ups at Cornell? It sure looks that way to me.

A Message to the Non-believers!!!

Well the message is not from me, but from Binac, whoever he/she/they are at the Birding is not a crime blogspot.
Part of the blog for Monday 5th May 2008 reads as follows:

For those of you who are interested in the story of the rediscovery of the Ivory-billed woodpecker, you will want to hang around for the last announcement we are going to make. We still can't reveal the details but it will involve (hint,hint) a large iconic woodpecker with a massive bill that is instantly recognizable to anyone who has seen it ..... like we have.

We are headed back to Louisiana on Thursday morning, followed by another trip to Florida to coordinate things. Stay tuned.

For what it's worth (maybe a fortune!)

I don't speak for Dick Hollins™ (used without permission)

BiNAC esta en fuego! I do not answer this for "non-believers" because I don't speak for them either. So, don't jump to conclusions. Delay is not surprising. Complete transfer of command and control for the entire U.S. search effort to BiNAC must be more complicated than anticipated. Have you noticed that BiNAC's field correspondent, Dick Hollins, second-best IBWO searcher in the world, has been silent of late? What could that mean? And what of BiNAC's travels to Louisiana? Why do you think Audubon Magazine published a story on the pulp industry in Louisiana and said that those cypress forests were home to the "rediscovered" Ivory-billed Woodpecker? Surely they used those quotation marks to emphasize something they know that we don't, right?

Last edited:
Pulp truth

BiNAC esta en fuego! I do not answer this for "non-believers" because I don't speak for them either. So, don't jump to conclusions. Delay is not surprising. Complete transfer of command and control for the entire U.S. search effort to BiNAC must be more complicated than anticipated. Have you noticed that BiNAC's field correspondent, Dick Hollins, second-best IBWO searcher in the world, has been silent of late? What could that mean? And what of BiNAC's travels to Louisiana? Why do you think Audubon Magazine published a story on the pulp industry in Louisiana and said that those cypress forests were home to the "rediscovered" Ivory-billed Woodpecker? Surely they used those quotation marks to emphasize something they know that we don't, right?

In Ireland we like a bit of "craic" - fun. And we love to pretend to believe in bluff, double-bluff conspiracy theories.
So who better than Dick Hollins to make an important announcement? And maybe he'll drag Tom Nelson out of retirement, Tom (just to add a little bit of extra spice to it) who is right on climate change, and wrong on the Ivory-billed Woodpecker!

And you mention the Audubon magazine. I see that Melanie Driscoll is referred to there.
Isn't she one of those who "rediscovered" the Ivory-billed Woodpecker?
And by the way, I'm glad that at least some trees have been saved.
Aren't you?

From Fishcrow:

In fact, a woodpecker expert has noticed details in the March 29 video that he believes an observer such as Tanner would not have been able to detect during an observation of a live bird.

Okay, now THAT might just be the funniest thing he's written so far.

I'm sorry, i'm speechless...(well almost).

These are some frames from the March 29 video
http://www.fishcrow.com/flyunder29mar08.jpg

Iconic?

So still a Pileated then....

I would think not. You could hardly describe a Pileated Woodpecker, magnificent as it is, as being "iconic".
However, I must admit that I do not know what Binac is at, or where he's coming from.
Hmmmmmmmm. All that talk of Mexico. As a long, long outside shot, could he possibly have got wind of an extant Imperial Woodpecker??????

3:)3:)3:)from post 25 of this thread:

From reading some descriptions it appears that the sitings may be imperial woodpeckers as well as or instead of ibw. Imperials appear to my untrained eye to almost exactly match ibw in field markings with the exception that when resting there will be two white triangles on the back instead of one. I think that it is possible that there have been found two species that haven't been confirmed as sited since the 50's.
Jesse Gilsdorf

now what happened to Jesse, he seemed to have his finger on the pulse....

Rob

Ridiculous Clowns

This map provides a grim visual of the century-long assault on the king campephilus's habitat. Truly shocking.

Yes, I was aware of that map, Touche, and of the whole article in Birder's World. Shocking is indeed the word. Scandalous. I think there were rumours of a sighting in Copper Canyon only a few years ago.
Sufficient habitat could have been saved quite easily. And most of the hunting could have been stopped.
But as a species we are ridiculous clowns, wearing scoffing clowns' hats.
And I suppose we think more of Mexican Pine furniture than we do of Imperial Woodpeckers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back