• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (7 Viewers)

"All truth passes through 3 stages:"

"First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

As quoted by cyberthrush

Thank you very much for that, Dalcio. I look forward to further developments anxiously and eagerly.
Meanwhile, Cyberthrush has news of a humorous poster here:
http://ivorybills.blogspot.com/ (the entry for Thursday, 20th November, 2008).

It's on flight mechanics - no doubt lots of hard core analysis and stuff on flap rates, but no actual evidence.

Seems to be a bit of a trait with the IBWO debacle - if you can't come-up with anything solid, spout a load of scientific jargon, throw in a a bit of maths/stats/image/bark scaling analysis and hey presto, you got yourself an IBWO.

I wish real-life conservation was that easy.

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker.

Has any one got photographic proof of a Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, there is a 50.000$ reward. contact Speakbreak.com. If you have remember me in your Christmas list.
Thank's Martin.

David Sibley blog "required reading"

David Sibley has made a couple of excellent posts recently on the Ivory-billed woodpecker. For those interested in the bird and the search and who haven't seen those posts yet you'll want to check them out on his Sibley Guides Notebook blog

Following the link given for the video I can across this page. With the following:

"Wingspan. In order to estimate wingspan, I climbed up to the same position in the observation tree on June 18, 2008, and took photos of a 24-inch reference object that Dave from Michigan held in position below."

Is Dave from Michigan Dave_in_Michigan?

Has any one got photographic proof of a Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, there is a 50.000$ reward. contact Speakbreak.com. If you have remember me in your Christmas list.
Thank's Martin.

I was just passing the news along. Please don't contact me unless I win something. (c:

jwilton

This thread will never die. I personally would not wish it to.

I watched the trailer, looks like good fun. Looks like it should be good entertainment for people on either side of the fence.

Strikes me as well made, perhaps showing both sides. Just a trailer though . . . . .

Following the link given for the video I can across this page. With the following:

"Wingspan. In order to estimate wingspan, I climbed up to the same position in the observation tree on June 18, 2008, and took photos of a 24-inch reference object that Dave from Michigan held in position below."

Is Dave from Michigan Dave_in_Michigan?

Yeah, that's me.

If you recall, I had played around with some geometry to try to check Mike's flight speed estimate using reflections in that video. I contacted him for a better copy of the video, and found out he was heading back to make some actual measurements at the site. I was pretty interested in seeing how the actual measurements panned out, so I went down to lend a hand and to have a look around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back