• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (6 Viewers)

Dacol, thanks for the link. I couldn't access the page about the IB's, but I enjoyed looking at the Congaree Park Site. I live in Murrell's Inlet, S.C. and I'm really enjoying this discussion. I'm too much of a rookie at this to be up on the precise kind of habitat the IBs favor, but I've done some blackwater (actually, brownwater) diving up there, and it's like the land that time forgot. In the summer, when it's thick, if you get 15 feet off the road, you better know what you're doing.
There's this veneer of civilization spotted here and there along the Congaree and Wateree, as they come together to make the Santee, and that entire corridor offers some great hardwood wilderness. The area has that timeless quality that can be almost forboding. On that dive trip, as the sun started dropping behind the big trees I was still miles from the landing, and I wanted to get back ASAP.

I think Fangsheath makes a good point about the birds not caring about the size of the trees so much, as about what they can get OUT of the trees to eat. And Hugo brought down a LOT of trees across South Carolina. As it made it's way inland, the storm held it's strength with amazing tenacity. Charlotte, for example, had 100 mile-an-hour winds, if I remember right, and I have friends in Sumter, about 20 miles from the Congaree, who lost every large tree in their yard, and they had some big ones.

On the lower Santee, above McClellanville, and going up to and past, Jamestown, there were swaths of pine and bottomland hardwoods that were reduced to stubs. It may have been "too much of a good thing" since the storm destroyed so many trees that considerations of shelter and nesting habitat might have come into play. But, I don't know that.

It's a fascinating area, and I understand why the Cornell Group has it on their list for the coming winter.

As for finding the bird, my 2c, I don't think we can not look for it. Judiciously, of course. Definitive footage and stills of it would make it the poster-bird for conservation and would be such a shot in the arm for all of us who care about the environment. But, first, we have to indisputably find it.

I note that, at least on this part of the thread, there are no comments about the Auburn group in the Choctawhachee. I checked out their site, and some of their audio clips (couldn't get their vids to view) were provocative. Were they not the first to put up the evidence they had? And should they have?
I mean, I understand about the competitive aspect of this; people would have to be saints to not want to be the first to come up the proof of existence for the IB. personnally, I have no problem with sitting back and letting the professionals take a good, long, systematic shot at finding the bird, and proving that they've found it. It would be, as has been said, magical.

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

Given the plumage pattern as about the only difference between an IB and a Peliated, JUST SUPPOSE that they always interbred, and the IB is just an occasional genetic throwback, in much the same way as the King Cheetah is not a separate species, just an occasional appearance of features. That would explain why an IB occasionally shows up, but no breeding populations? Bro.Steve

Given the plumage pattern as about the only difference between an IB and a Peliated, JUST SUPPOSE that they always interbred, and the IB is just an occasional genetic throwback, in much the same way as the King Cheetah is not a separate species, just an occasional appearance of features. That would explain why an IB occasionally shows up, but no breeding populations? Bro.Steve

that would still make IBW extinct sadly, even if such a throwback were possible, it wouldn't be an IBW but a hybrid.

The two species belong to different genera and are not closely related. No hybrids of Pileated Woodpecker or of any Campephilus Woodpecker have ever been recorded. (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA106,M1)
Atavism of any kind remotely resembling your description is unknown in birds.

Graham

Thank you Graham. I was hoping someone would stomp on that one real quick. Since when is Campephilus a color variant of Dryocopus? That is like saying the Spotted Owl is nothing more than an owl with spots (as certain political commentators in the US are known to claim!)

Thank you Graham. I was hoping someone would stomp on that one real quick. Since when is Campephilus a color variant of Dryocopus? That is like saying the Spotted Owl is nothing more than an owl with spots (as certain political commentators in the US are known to claim!)

Yep. The offspring of man with brown hair and a woman with black hair can be human child with blond hair, or a human child with albinism, or a human child with any one of many genetic abnormalities. It can't be an orang-utan.

non-update from Cornell on "2008-090" search season

Apparently Cornell just posted a note about the last search season--in the "current search" section:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/current0607/
Note that was originally a directory for the 2006-07 search. I will quote it verbatim. I think the amount of information, and the care in its crafting says a lot:
(cute graphic) The 2008-090 search season has ended. A summary will be posted over the summer.​
I guess this will cover the search through 2090. I wonder how much longer Cornell will keep this up? I'm guessing through the end of 2009--after that, all of the Ivory-billed rediscovery stuff will redirect somewhere else.

Another update here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/latest/LOC_IBWO_Sound
discusses how a recording of the Ivorybill is being placed in the Smithsonian's registry of historic recordings. This is, of course, the recording made by Arthur Allen in 1935, not anything from the current "rediscovery". The story of how Allen came to make those recordings is given by Cornell here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/aboutibwo/studying_vanishing_html

I had not read this before in detail, and enjoyed, especially, this part:

"The whole experience was like a dream," wrote Sutton in his 1936 book Birds in the Wilderness. "There we sat in the wild swamp, miles and miles from any highway, with two ivory-billed woodpeckers so close to us that we could see their eyes, their long toes, even their slightly curved claws with our binoculars."

Allen set up Camp Ephilus--a play on the scientific name of the ivory-bill (Campephilus principalis) --within 200 yards of the nest and kept watch, recording every detail of the birds' behavior, for a couple of weeks....​

They set up their camp within 200 yards of the nest and were able to go closer, I presume, where they could see tiny details with binoculars. (These were 1930's binoculars, not today's models with coated optics.) They could get excellent motion picture film, and good audio recordings with 1930's technology. Today's official searches, with far more searchers and far superior technology, have gotten the Luneau video, where the arguments never end over blotches and blurs.

....They set up their camp within 200 yards of the nest and were able to go closer, I presume, where they could see tiny details with binoculars. (These were 1930's binoculars, not today's models with coated optics.) They could get excellent motion picture film, and good audio recordings with 1930's technology. Today's official searches, with far more searchers and far superior technology, have gotten the Luneau video, where the arguments never end over blotches and blurs.

Of course the 30's Cornell group had the benefit of a woodsman/tracker (JJ Kuhn) who had lived amongst the IBWOs for yrs. and was able to essentially lead the Ithaca boys to a nest (without such a guide, Tanner never found the birds in S.C. or Fla. even though he believed they were there). I believe it's the case that ALL the pics and sounds gathered in the 30's were from the vicinity of a nest.
Many of us have been saying for yrs. now that the most likely way to get indisputable photos of IBWO would be to locate a nest, and without such a find it might prove exceedingly difficult to get a clear pic (other than by the luck of a remote camera capturing one).

Of course the 30's Cornell group had the benefit of a woodsman/tracker (JJ Kuhn) who had lived amongst the IBWOs for yrs. and was able to essentially lead the Ithaca boys to a nest (without such a guide, Tanner never found the birds in S.C. or Fla. even though he believed they were there). I believe it's the case that ALL the pics and sounds gathered in the 30's were from the vicinity of a nest.
Many of us have been saying for yrs. now that the most likely way to get indisputable photos of IBWO would be to locate a nest, and without such a find it might prove exceedingly difficult to get a clear pic (other than by the luck of a remote camera capturing one).

When was the last time an Ivory-billed Woodpecker's nest was (unequivocally), located ?

Using this rediculous reasoning, we would have to throw out the work of Peter Paul Kelogg, Allen, and many of the others that have formed the foundation of birding in the United States.

I think the Cornell Lab of Ornithology was, and despite one monumental cock-up, remains a highly respected organisation.

Interesting to note though, just how deeply they’ve buried the IBWO pages within their website – i.e. you can’t navigate to it from the home page using any of the obvious routes and not listed under lab programmes and conservation science. Indeed - the only mention of IBWO on their home page is of the recent inclusion of IBWO sounds in the National Recording Registry, an archive of iconic historic sounds. Would be very odd indeed for an extant species to be included in this and surely a sign that even Cornell's now more or less admitting it's extinct.

I just hope the dabacle's raised the profile of the damage done by hunting and deforestation, rather than devalued conservation science.

Also, of some relevance, I stumbled across this paper. Not sure it’s been aired here before.

Last edited:
Also, of some relevance, I stumbled across this paper. Not sure it’s been aired here before.
I think it has, but it's a welcome reappearance because who'd be able to find it back?

I believe some of the mocking of Cornell is in jest, but people should be careful in doing so as not to give ammunition to the anti-conservation forces.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back