• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (3 Viewers)

Why wouldn't one believe James Tanner?

Well probably because he had mud on his boots and most likely a two day beard and shabby cloths from too much time in the field and not enough time in the lab or lodge or on his laptop....unlike being a present day Cornel BIRDER

I'm struggling to catch the drift here.

Seems to be suggestions, albeit facetious, that if the modern day Cornell ornithologists/birders are wrong, Tanner was too.

I'm also struggeling to remember the last time I heard anything so ridicoulous, that wasn't posted on this thread...

I'm struggling to catch the drift here.

Seems to be suggestions, albeit facetious, that if the modern day Cornell ornithologists/birders are wrong, Tanner was too.

I'm also struggeling to remember the last time I heard anything so ridicoulous, that wasn't posted on this thread...

Very well worded sir.

I noticed that the new/old California Academy of Sciences alligator exhibit has a modeled pair of IBWO hitching up the tree in the exhibit. Odd that I didn't notice them the first time I was there. Probably because I was looking down at the gator most of the time.

Life imitates art....imitating life. Sounds like most ivory billed encounters. Let me guess, you forgot your camera the first time too, didn't you.
Now if you go back and the birds aren't there, you've got irony also. :t:

Odd photo of Ivory-billed Woodpecker on Birdlife Intl. Site

The ever-vigilant Cyberthrush recently highlighted (here) Birdlife International's Quest launched to find 'lost' birds. At the top of the page is a very striking color illustration of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker in flight (detail here).

The illustration looks very fishy to me (as well as to another commenter on CT's site). It appears to be a modern digital photograph, with the out-of-focus background showing digital noise, not film grain. The wing-tips are blurred, as if in motion, exactly as in a photograph, an effect very difficult to reproduce in an illustration. I think I see some lines that look like artifacts from a (de-interlaced?) video frame in the background as well. The problem is, there are not, to my knowledge, anything like this quality of image from the modern "rediscovery" circa 2004.

Another point of "fishiness" is that the wing shape, to me, looks like that of a typical Dryocopus woodpecker, such as a Pileated or Black Woodpecker. The few images I have seen of the Singer Tract Ivory-billed Woodpeckers in flight show a long, pointy wing-tip. (Hard to say on that one--wings are of such variable shape in flight.)

To me, this looks like an altered photograph of a different species of woodpecker, perhaps a Black Woodpecker, Dryocopus martius. With a little Photoshopping, it would be pretty easy to make a photo of that species look like an Ivory-billed Woodpecker--one would just have to add white to certain feathers.

I find the use of such an altered photo (if that is what this is) in this context to be misleading. It looks like a modern photograph, and it shows, unmistakably, the field marks of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker. No photographs of anywhere near such quality have come to light from the 2004 "rediscovery". Ironically, the BirdLife International web page barely mentions the Ivorybill--they are talking, mostly, about the (verified) 1992 rediscovery of the Cebu Flowerpecker. The whole thing is just odd.

Hello,

Please don't jump to conclusions too fast. The art is labelled Tomasz Cofta. Tomasz is an ornithologist and artist well known for his photo-realistic style of bird paintings. So I guess it is a painting.

But indeed, worshippers of 'hard' proof like photos or sound recordings should realize that we are in digital era. Producing a perfect photo or recording of non-existing animal is possible. This is not new, anyway. Several photos of Loch Ness Monster from the early 20. century withstood police investigations for decades, until their maker confessed on his deathbed that they are jokes.

So I happily hold to my previous opinion, that asking for 'proof' of rare wildlife sighting like photos is fooling oneself. :-O

IBWO illustration

Hello,

Please don't jump to conclusions too fast. The art is labelled Tomasz Cofta. Tomasz is an ornithologist and artist well known for his photo-realistic style of bird paintings. So I guess it is a painting.

But indeed, worshippers of 'hard' proof like photos or sound recordings should realize that we are in digital era. Producing a perfect photo or recording of non-existing animal is possible. This is not new, anyway. Several photos of Loch Ness Monster from the early 20. century withstood police investigations for decades, until their maker confessed on his deathbed that they are jokes.

So I happily hold to my previous opinion, that asking for 'proof' of rare wildlife sighting like photos is fooling oneself. :-O

A BirdLife International person sent me a very kind e-mail confirming that it is a painting. It is a very small reproduction, so that, perhaps, explains the confusion. It sure looked like a Photoshopped photo to me!

I think that if a living population of IBWO were found today, there would be whole series of digital media documenting it--that would be much more convincing than a single photo or recording, and astronomically harder to fudge than a single piece of evidence. I agree that a single digital photo or isolated sound recording is much harder to evaluate. The post-1944 IBWO story is full of such isolated, fragmentary documentation.

And look at the nice t-shirt I bought from the Birdlife hut.
That is a great T-shirt. I'll have to go online and see if I can get one. I'm undecided as to whether I like it better than the one I got at a Bird Fair in Arkansas--best thing to do in such a case is to have both. Mine is getting a bit worn anyway(4 years old?).

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 143
Birdlife illustration/photo

A BirdLife International person sent me a very kind e-mail confirming that it is a painting. It is a very small reproduction, so that, perhaps, explains the confusion. It sure looked like a Photoshopped photo to me!
Just FYI, in a parallel discussion on Cyberthrush's blog (here) another correspondent was told by the artist that the illustration in question was indeed based on an altered photo of a Black Woodpecker, Dryocopus martius. That's what I had guessed in my comment (I'm going to go out on a limb...).
I should retire from such idle speculation, having gotten one correct, once!
(For those of you who haven't seen it from CT's blog, check out the Pileated labeled as an IBWO.)

That brings back some memories. In May 1999 my wife and I attended the WildWings Polish Bird Festival in northern Podlasia. Tomasz was one of the local guides and found us several of our target woodpecker species. He had designed a logo for the event consisting of a montage of all the Polish peckers. We though it would make a good souvenir of our trip, and so Tomasz very kindly painted a copy for us (below).

Richard

Attachments

• Woodpeckers.jpg
    Woodpeckers.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
That brings back some memories. In May 1999 my wife and I attended the WildWings Polish Bird Festival in northern Podlasia. Tomasz was one of the local guides and found us several of our target woodpecker species. He had designed a logo for the event consisting of a montage of all the Polish peckers. We though it would make a good souvenir of our trip, and so Tomasz very kindly painted a copy for us (below).

Richard

That is the coolest logo I have ever seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back