• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (8 Viewers)

Info I've now gathered, but not comfortable stating publicly, compels me to say this story (Rainsong claim) ought be trashed as soon as possible. It has ZERO credibility, except as a poorly done hoax.

If that's true, this guy needs hoaxster training. Sending the photos only to the experts first? Behind closed doors? Hahaha! HOAXING - UR DOIN IT WRONG!

I have to say, I still have hope. Not expectations, but hope. I wouldn't wait too long for this individual sighting, though. If I don't hear anything about it soon, I'll consider it just a hoax. The venue of the announcement does not bode well, either. Why would you announce something on such a site? Why not wait until your expert references weigh in?

On a note unrelated to this newest post, I am of the opinion that even if the 2004 sighting was valid, it doesn't prove that the species is still around. They were/are pretty long-lived- I've heard 30 years. Assuming there was at least one Ivory-bill in 2004, that means there were at least two in 1974. Those birds' parents could have been born shortly after the Singer Tract was cut. It's very unlikely that it would happen that way, but it's still possible. So even accepting the 2004 sighting, the outlook isn't necessarily bright.

I have proposed this theory before as well. Why couldn't the 2004 sightings be of the last one or two ivory-bills in existence. Makes sense that no more have been seen in that area or that a breeding nest is found.

That's the saddest hoax in the history of the IBW lunatic search. Just look at the "news" at the front page of that site.... "six packs abs exercizes for men"... or "VIP WEALTH CLUB is a short-cut to success for anyone looking to make money NOW"

wow

Hoax?

That's the saddest hoax in the history of the IBW lunatic search. Just look at the "news" at the front page of that site.... "six packs abs exercizes for men"... or "VIP WEALTH CLUB is a short-cut to success for anyone looking to make money NOW"

wow

Who knows? Perhaps this is not a hoax.

You might want to read Cyberthrush's latest post entitled --FLASH!--
What a mind-boggling turn of events, scarcely believable.
But it's very readable, and highly entertaining.

Yeah, its almost humorous to see how everyone's personal psychology seeps into their science at some point or another. If I were a betting man, I'd hold all bets on this drama stuff.
(cue The Who "Won't get fooled again")

Last edited:
Would it really change anything to let us play along? Let's see the dang photos already.

Of course I agree the photos ought be released, but doubt they will be anytime soon (I'm not sure what the Hepperles can gain by releasing them now, except maybe keeping the story alive a bit further -- they own the pics and are the only ones who can release them).
By themselves though, the pics won't settle matters for everyone anyway. Some will find them intriguing (most I think will have problems with them), and they really need to be released with various contextual information given as well, but which also probably won't be disclosed. Additionally, other shots taken contemporaneously (but not showing the bird) are not available for release.

why anyone would hold onto such potentially important information is beyond me - unless they really crave attention.

why anyone would hold onto such potentially important information is beyond me - unless they really crave attention.

the pics(2) have been viewed/analyzed by the appropriate authorities and hopefully they'll comment on them maybe by end of week, and begin putting this ridiculous story to rest; don't know if the pics will ever be released publicly unless maybe they show up for sale on eBay!

Yeah, its almost humorous to see how everyone's personal psychology seeps into their science at some point or another. If I were a betting man, I'd hold all bets on this drama stuff.
(cue The Who "Won't get fooled again")

Jeepers, are we talking birds or lessons of life?
Brilliant summation!

A new hope for the will-o'-the-wisp of the woods in the Bayou State?

Project Coyote

(thanks to Cyberthrush for the link)

Hard to get one's hope's up after all the promising searches in arkansas, florida ect. fizzled out without proof. Still this saga will not die and I keep watching like a train wreck. Albeit alot more infrequently than in the past. I sense not many people are even interested anymore.

appropriate authorities?

the pics(2) have been viewed/analyzed by the appropriate authorities and hopefully they'll comment on them maybe by end of week, and begin putting this ridiculous story to rest; don't know if the pics will ever be released publicly unless maybe they show up for sale on eBay!

What "appropriate authorities" exactly? Who are they? What proof do you have that anyone has analyzed the alleged photos?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back