• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (2 Viewers)

why are poeple so darn mean in this thread. Whether you back the IBWP sightings or not, calm down and be civil, and quit picking on people. It's rude as hell and makes BF look bad if this is all people are seeing. GEEEZ! Some of the attitudes here embarrass me.

Lolagirl

In the absence of a photograph, a really clear and certain description would be great. E.g. where the white is on the wings is; eg is it on all the primaries, some of the primaries, all of the secondaries, some of the secondaries, the tertials etc. Is it on the ull depth of the feathers, or just the tip? What colour is the bill? What colour is the eye? Where does the stripe that comes down the neck go (in relation to the wings).

How does it differ from the attached picture?

You are lucky to have the bird in your garden.

Attachments

• leucistic Pileated woodie arkansas.JPG
    leucistic Pileated woodie arkansas.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 141
John ,exactly what in your mind would make those reports CONFIRMED?

Oh I think that's pretty clear by now. More than someone's say-so. A nice photo would be a start. If the bird is there it should be refindable, the way real birds generally are, so the original report can be corroborated.

A new species of hummingbird has been found in an isolated area of Colombia. A wee timorous little thing, but they got some nice photos...

Lolagirl,
Here you will find both pix of the PIWO and the IBWO:

http://www.geocities.com/tinyeagle99/IBW/z_billpil.jpg

Which of these birds looks most like the one you saw?

What color was the eyes?

What color was the bill?

Did you clearly see the dorsal stripe on BOTH sides of the back connecting with the white saddle of the IBWO?

What color crest did the bird have - red or black?

Here is another page of IBWO links for you to look at:
http://www.geocities.com/tinyeagle99/IBW/BirdingLinks1.html

Lolagirl,

Next time you have a chance to view the bird it would be very helpful if you could write down exactly what you are seeing as this will help to document the bird.
But make very sure that this documantation is done WHILE you are looking at the bird and do NOT look at any pix while doing this. If you consult a pix while writing, your report will not be accepted by the official state/national records committee!
You should also state why this bird is NOT a bird in the stage of molting.

How long is the bill compared to the body of the bird?

When the bird flys, what does the under wing look like - draw a sketch and post it here.

Did the bird fly in a straight line of did it appear to undulate as it flew?

How fast were the wing beats per second ie flaprate?

How much white did the bird have on the face?

Where on the face did the white begin?

Did this white run the full length of the body?

How much white was showing on the body?

Draw a sketch of the bill?

What did the bird's call sound like?

Did you hear any rapping or tapping sound from the bird and what did it sound like?

And most important - list the reasons that this bird could not possibly be a PIWO ie compare and contrast both the PIWO and the IBWO.

Last edited:
Dear LolaGal,

What you have just told us is truly the ornithological discovery of the last two centuries. Not only is your garden the only site in the world where Ivory-billed Woodpeckers can be seen on a regular basis but it may also be the only site in the history of ornithology (outside Cuba) where Ivory-billed Woodpeckers have been regularly seen and Pileated Woodpeckers are absent.

Emupilot tried to break it to you gently but you jut got irritated, so there is no point beating about the bush - I don't believe that you have seen Ivory-billed Woodpeckers in your garden for a second.

But that doesn't matter - there are a whole bunch of people on here who will send significant amounts of money to support the Ivory-billed Woodpecker recovery project the moment you show us photos of your IBWOs, me included.

Knock yourself out ...

You took the words right out of my mouth

why are poeple so darn mean in this thread. Whether you back the IBWP sightings or not, calm down and be civil, and quit picking on people. It's rude as hell and makes BF look bad if this is all people are seeing. GEEEZ! Some of the attitudes here embarrass me.

Look folks, whether you believe the bird is out there or not, HABITAT is a very important factor in probability of a birds occurence. A bird that has historically been associated with swamp, forest and riparian zones is not likely to show up in a back yard. And is HIGHLY unlikely to do so repeatedly.

So let me get this right. A large crested woodpecker with a white trailing edge seen in "good habitat" is Ivory Billed, and otherwise its Pileated.

Oodpecker

So let me get this right. A large crested oodpecker (sic) with a white trailing edge seen in "good habitat" is Ivory Billed, and otherwise its Pileated.

Well if it's missing its large white bill, and especially if it's truncated and also missing a "w", it ain't necessarily so.

So let me get this right. A large crested oodpecker with a white trailing edge seen in "good habitat" is Ivory Billed, and otherwise its Pileated.

Once again you have shown just how reasonable you are(n't). How did you conclude this from humminbirds post? Sounds like you are provoking an argument for fun to me, not very constructive is it Jane?

Not that this is surprising for someone like you...

Russ

Lolagirl,
Here you will find both pix of the PIWO and the IBWO:

http://www.geocities.com/tinyeagle99/IBW/z_billpil.jpg

Which of these birds looks most like the one you saw?

What color was the eyes?

What color was the bill?

Did you clearly see the dorsal stripe on BOTH sides of the back connecting with the white saddle of the IBWO?

What color crest did the bird have - red or black?

Here is another page of IBWO links for you to look at:
http://www.geocities.com/tinyeagle99/IBW/BirdingLinks1.html

Are you, like emupilot, just trying to irritate Lolagal? She said she's already seen National geographic images of IBWO and it's not a Pileated and she's sure it's an IBWO. Your questions imply she doesn't know the difference. Are you a doubting skeptic or something?

In her original posting Lolagal asked if someone to send her a camera or camcorder so she could confirm the bird. If someone is feeling charitable maybe they could send her one so we can resolve this. Oh, and I could use a camcorder too. :)

If she really believes it is an IBWO she will get a camera somehow and hopefully get it FAST.

I'm anxiously awaiting any replies or updates. Just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it's not possible!

LolaGal... do post that photo. Ask a local photographer (one that you can trust very much, ideally) with a tele lens to help you out on this. Then post here and we will tell you if it's an IBW or not.

You do know that right now most people are thinking you're a troll right?

What is a troll?

LolaGal

What is a troll?

LolaGal

LolaGal,

A troll is internet slang for someone who posts on a message board to stir up trouble. I think that is unfair to you, and a rather mean thing to suggest, but it does happen on this and other boards so people are wary of it. I think you are genuine and people should have been more courteous to you, but I'm afraid I and others will inevitably doubt that your sightings are genuine. Even for those who believe that the ivory-billed woodpecker is not extinct, a bird repeatedly visting a garden is just so, so unlikely. I do hope you get photos soon.

Graham

Look folks, whether you believe the bird is out there or not, HABITAT is a very important factor in probability of a birds occurence. A bird that has historically been associated with swamp, forest and riparian zones is not likely to show up in a back yard. And is HIGHLY unlikely to do so repeatedly.

I also have sighted pileated, ladderback, redheaded, red bellied, one golden fronted, common flicker, red-cockaded, also I think downy and hairy, but they move pretty fast!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back