• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January trip to the Arctic circle (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all

It is my 50th Birthday at the end of January 2015. I know - I don't look it.

I'm planning to embrace the winter with a trip up north. Things I'd like to do or see are:

1. Aurora borealis
2. Certain target birds: Pine Grosbeak, Hawk Owl, Hazel Grouse. Plus other northern specialities such as Eider species and things such as Sibe tit, Jay, woodpeckers etc, especially if they are coming to feeding places or showing really well
3. Are there any winter feeding stations for things like Bears or Wolverines?
4. Snowy or wintery activities such as Husky treks, quad bikes that kind of things.
5. Any other suggestions or recommendations for things to see or do?

Thanks in advance for any offers of help, contacts, suggestions, places to stay or go, etc etc. I'm up for anything if it makes it a birthday to remember.

Sean

1. Aurora borealis Easy if the weather conditions are good.

2. Certain target birds: Pine Grosbeak, Hawk Owl, Hazel Grouse. Plus other northern specialities such as Eider species and things such as Sibe tit, Jay, woodpeckers etc, especially if they are coming to feeding places or showing really well. Most of these would be easy (feeders at a hotel north of Inari are excellent, Varanger Fjord will have all the eiders) ...but in January, it will be, er, dark 24 hours at day at the best known sites! Localities south of the Arcitc Circle will exist for the landbirds.

3. Are there any winter feeding stations for things like Bears or Wolverines? Bears hibernating, Wolverine very hard (but I fluked one at Invari feeders)

4. Snowy or wintery activities such as Husky treks, quad bikes that kind of things. Stacks of options, google them.

5. Any other suggestions or recommendations
Take thermals! Minus 30 is likely, maybe below that.

I've spent some time in Arctic Norway in the middle of winter.

The Northern Lights are weather dependent and as such are rather unpredictable but given a stay of any length should be possible to see.

As for the birds - I've been amazed at the number of birds (albeit a limited range of species) present even during the months of total darknesss. Tromsø produced king eider etc etc even in mid December. Hammerfest produced good numbers of Glaucous gulls on Christmas eve.

As there is so much snow it doesn't get as dark as one might think and the waters must be amazingly rich as surprisingly large numbers of birds manage to survive here even in the dark of winter.

SOme more details here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back