• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2009 (1 Viewer)

On Saturday after much dithering I went with my brother David and our friend Mike to Kemble Classic Jets airshow, in the Cherokee from Farnborough. Flying to shows beats the daylights out of sitting in traffic queues, plus the spotters photograph your arrival as if you are part of the entertainment! It sneaks on here because as we lined up to take off on the return flight, a Brown Hare was sitting calmly at the edge of the mown grass by the runway. I noticed it just too late to get the camera on it before we set off into the wild blue yonder.

Halfway through the afternoon pager news that the Royal Tern had reappeared, at Llandudno, brought an expletive from me and set Sunday's agenda.

I picked Roy up from Tring and we launched off up the motorway network, arriving on site at about half past eight. The bird wasn't of course showing but after we had scanned the west shore as well as the bay where it had been seen the previous day, I started to find a few mammals, beginning with a pod of Bottlenose Dolphins travelling East across our bay and around the Great Orme. There were twenty or more - as usual it was hard to get an accurate count - including some big deep-bodied adults and at least a couple of quite small juveniles, all dark ocean grey on back and flanks with an almost pinkish pale grey underside occasionally showing in half-breaches.

Soon after that I noticed a couple of Feral Goats up on the headland and that led others onto a Red Fox playing with a single large cub on a rocky shelf nearer us. It suckled briefly proviing it was the vixen. They were on view for about half an hour, mobbed desultorily by Jackdaws to which they paid no attention: they finally retreated to their den just our of our line of sight as the not very good weather deteriorated to fairly horrible. The goats also wandered off out of sight leaving us huddling under beach shelters scanning empty seas.

Claims of the tern in the afternoon had us racing back to the North bay, but no prolonged views were had by anyone and not much detail seen on the bird that had passed quickly through. By early evening the weather was sunny though not exactly warm, the remaining twitchers enjoyed brief views of an emu in the nearby petting zoo and a small group of about six Harbour Porpoises added my second mammal year-tick of the day to put me on 41 for the year.

We knocked off at 1900 and a reasonable run back got me home, after dropping Roy, just before midnight.

Round 2 to the Royal Tern.

John

Building up to Finland I went out Wednesday evening but had a rubbish prowl with no Badger or Fox sightings, few bats and a very annoying pair of juvenile Tawny owls that calleed for half an hour within about twenty yards of me but managed to stay out of sight. Frustration!

Oh well - on to the main event this weekend.....

John

Well done on seeing the Wildcat, any tips? Is Ardnamurchan the best place to go? I've heard that the " stretch of road between Port na Croisg and the junction with the Kilmory road on Ardnamurchan is reputedly one of the most reliable spots to see them" and "The best stretch is the two miles or so beyond Cladh Chiarain especially the scree slopes (at NM560623) and the rush fields (at NM553630) "

Last edited:
Well done on seeing the Wildcat, any tips? Is Ardnamurchan the best place to go? I've heard that the " stretch of road between Port na Croisg and the junction with the Kilmory road on Ardnamurchan is reputedly one of the most reliable spots to see them" and "The best stretch is the two miles or so beyond Cladh Chiarain especially the scree slopes (at NM560623) and the rush fields (at NM553630) "

Yes, I agree with that assessment. This year there seems to be a particular emphasis on the upper part of the route, with several sightings (including my own) along the stretch of road that runs between the lower side of the conifer plantations and Loch Mudle. I would also particularly recommend the rushy bowl (or basin) between the scree slopes and the Loch Mudle stretch, which over the years has provided me and many others with spotlight sightings of Wildcats.

It is however possible to see Wildcats anywhere along the coast road from Glen Tarbert right through to the Kilmory/Ockle junctions, and some would also recommend the minor road North from Strontian up over the hills to the shore of Loch Shiel.

John

A bad case of post-holiday blues left me not bothering to go out for a fortnight. RIAT at RAF Fairford also got in the way but Roe Deer, Rabbits and a male Muntjac on the way there woke me up a bit and a Brown Hare running across the runway just ahead of a USAF KC135R was nice as well - airfields and hares go together.

I had a wander along the canal looking for Mink on Saturday but no joy, just an array of butterflies including some Silver-washed Fritillaries.

John

A couple of this year's pix - I'll put more on later.

Chinese Water Deer (a male: look at the sabre teeth!) Bank Vole and Common Shrew.

John

Attachments

• CWD1.JPG
    CWD1.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Bankvole1.JPG
    Bankvole1.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Commonshrew1.JPG
    Commonshrew1.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
And a few more:

Soprano Pipistrelle (I was bat-detecting it as well as photographing it looking through my nightscope for a rather electronic but still satisfying wildlife experience), Pine Marten with bitten tail after a fight under my feet, and Polecat.

John

Attachments

• soppip.JPG
    soppip.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Pinemarten.JPG
    Pinemarten.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Polecat.JPG
    Polecat.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 78
I've been drooling just wanting to see your pictures for quite a while. Thanks for sharing - and the pole cat is quite lovely, though the Pipistrelle and others impressive too!

Threw off the post-holiday blues for an actual twitch on Sunday with Clare - to Trimley marshes for Willow Emerald Damselfly. Clare spotted a bunch of five Fallow Deer by the A12 junction with the M25 on the way there. A long walk in the hot sun led to four hours of watching insect activity around two small Alder trees. You can get quite familiar with individual insects in four hours.....

We actually had quite a good day overall, with nine species of Odonata including three Small Red-eyed Damselflies, eleven butterflies and big numbers of all of them for a pleasant change, four Wasp Spiders and a Rozzell's Bush Cricket that was a tick for me. A good view of a Water Vole in the ditch below us was the top sighting of the day, however: it swam right underneath the bridge on which we were standing and I was so enthralled watching it that I missed a decent photo-opportunity. A couple of tiny Common Toads, a Common Lizard that streaked across the track in front of us and a flock of 19 Mediterranean Gulls completed the haul on a "total naturalist day".

We didn't find the Willow Emerald and after four hours of squinting against the sun, hot, sunburnt, thirsty and hungry we were remarking how forty six years on the planet and thirty or so as birders hasn't made either of us smart enough to put slap on before starting, take food and drink with us etc!

To cap it all we were halfway back round a surprisingly clear M25 when the pager announced that there were two Willow Emeralds at Staverton Lake, Woodbridge - just up the road from where we had been. There were no votes for turning round.

John

Clare spotted a bunch of five Fallow Deer by the A12 junction with the M25 on the way there.

There always seems to be good numbers of Fallow Deer in the field at the A12/M25 junction. Presumably they belong to a collection of sorts.

I had quite a productive mammal weekend ticking my first ever Edible Dormouse in Tring Woods on Saturday night. Hedgehog, two Red Fox and a Muntjac were also noted, together with a Common Pipistrelle.

There always seems to be good numbers of Fallow Deer in the field at the A12/M25 junction. Presumably they belong to a collection of sorts.

I had quite a productive mammal weekend ticking my first ever Edible Dormouse in Tring Woods on Saturday night. Hedgehog, two Red Fox and a Muntjac were also noted, together with a Common Pipistrelle.

Grand night out, Mike! Was that actually Tring, or Wendover? I generally go to the latter, which is quite good for roding Soprano Pips at this time of year as well as hordes of dormice.

John

Grand night out, Mike! Was that actually Tring, or Wendover? I generally go to the latter, which is quite good for roding Soprano Pips at this time of year as well as hordes of dormice.

John

It was Tring Woods next to Wigginton. There must have been up to 10 individuals calling, but I only managed decent views of one.

Well, a really good weekend and I'm back in the wildlife groove.

Saturday Clare and I had a return match with Willow Emerald Damselfly, this time at Staverton Lakes just by Butley, somewhere I haven't been since it used to hold Rough-legs and White-tailed Eagles in winter.

We had not real difficulty finding the site and I carried the domestic step-ladder down to the site after hearing the damselflies were often a few metres up in the trees. I hadn't quite gathered that they were also on the far side of the pond/channel and a kayak might have been more use!

We had good scope views courtesy of Geoff Higgott and others, very quickly and that was Willow Emerald Damselfly safely on the list, along with a hopelessluy blippy shot of a female end-on. We had to wait a couple of hours for one to flitter across the pond, whip past my ear and alight three metres up in an Alder on our side, and then I promptly lost sight of where it had landed and couldn't relocate it.

Some time later I noticed it hovering around the leaves and this time got its landing spot properly fixed. It was still about eight feet up so I had the step-ladder in place and was up it right away, congratulating myself mentally on a good idea. I had got some fairly decent shots when the damselfly dropped from its perch and descended to alight on a leaf about three feet from the ground, at which point of course everybody got screamers of it from every angle. Willow Emeralds are quite lazy as damselflies go, when they move they are quite quick but unlike the various blues around us they spent long periods doing nothing, which is just the job when you are trying to photograph them.

I had a total of 12 Odonata spp at the site which was pretty nice. They included a male Common Emerald Damselfly, so you do need to be alert to this possibility at the site.

After that we nipped up to Minsmere in search of Red Deer, but clanged out - being there in the hottest part of the day probably wasn't the best time, and of course there were quite a lot of grockles there as well. We had nice views of Marsh harriers doing a food pass, blip views of Bearded Tit, and not much else apart from a habituated Rabbit that we could get full frame pix of.

Saturday night I ran my new toy again - moth trap - and caught my first hawk moth, a Poplar Hawk Moth in immaculate condition and very nice too.

Sunday evening I went with Steve and Karen to meet Roy at Wendover Woods, where we had a bumper crop of Edible Dormice. They were out before dark - not that I managed much more than silhouette views against the sky - and once it was fully dark stopped being totally skittish and allowed us to get several in the beam of a red spotlight (Steve also had one sit for three minutes in his green beam) as well as giving great view in the night scope. Karen and I both got decent pix of the animals at a huge beech tree with a nest hole, but the photographic star was a red-lighted one that sat for full face portraits for five minutes or more, clearly fascinated by these weird humans. in total I reckon we saw about ten or twelve, and had thirty to forty calling as well as a Muntjac barking from the woods and a Soprano Pipistrelle feeding along the track.

I got home about midnight weary but satisfied - good pix of my forty-second mammal in Britain this year.

John

Attachments

• Eddormouse5.jpg
    Eddormouse5.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Quality pic. I guess I'll try Wendover Woods next time.

Apart from Wildcat, which terrestrial mammals do you still need for your photo album?

Quality pic. I guess I'll try Wendover Woods next time.

Apart from Wildcat, which terrestrial mammals do you still need for your photo album?

Lesser White-toothed Shrew

Black Rat (which I haven't even seen yet)

Harvest Mouse

Common Vole (Orkney Vole that is)

Wildcat

Its definitely getting tougher.....

John

Is black rat extant John? I know there are stories of a London population but is there any recent evidence they still exist?

Is black rat extant John? I know there are stories of a London population but is there any recent evidence they still exist?

There is a colony on the Shiant Islands (Outer Hebs) and they certainly still exist not only in London but also the other major dock areas (Bristol, Liverpool etc.) Access is almost impossible and the animals prefer to be indoors (they are colloquially known as "roof rats" in most of their range) so they are arguably even more difficult for the mammal watcher than Wildcat, which at least lives in areas you can visit freely!

The deliberate elimination by the National Trust of the Lundy colony was a crime not only against wildlife but also against our national heritage - if the Black Rat with its Black Death association is not part of our heritage I don't know what is! All because of Puffins, don't get me wrong, I like Puffins but there are Puffins all round Britain and Black Rats are damn difficult!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back