• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

John's Mammals 2021 (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

It is good eating. A stall, within walking distance, has starting selling it. You help yourself and transfer the money, They've made a fair bit out of us recently. Was a thermal scope on your Christmas list? I think is a game-changer. I'm going to get one as soon as I'm confident of travel. I wish we'd had one in the Western Sahara.
I've been a bit suspicious of the two-stage nature of using a thermal scope: find the animal then illuminate for ID (I don't know if you've read any of Vladimir Dinets's descriptions of his adventures but having seen his claims for a night-time walk in Oxfordshire I'm certain its 99% BS.) But if the price is right I could be tempted, just for actual finding it seems miraculous.

I've been used to using passive night vision though and that gives you a decent monochrome view with eyeshine from the near-infra-red torch built in: I can walk paths with my monocular to one eye and spot what's going on, so the decision about what to carry isn't straightforward.

Anyway, bottom line: yeah, maybe at some point.

John

Steve Babbs

I see it as a find it tool. I wouldn't want to watch an animal through it or try to id one with it. Well unless it's an elephant. £870 seems to be the cheapest decent one. I've recently has to buy a new car so it's bad timing but I suspect I will crack soon.

Farnboro John

Just fed Rip. Her first proper visit this year: she sat and waited to be fed and then ate her first chicken drumstick in front of us, completely unfazed by me taking pictures. Spooked as she finished eating by a neighbour coming home with shopping, she returned as soon as their door clicked shut behind them and scampered off with a second drumstick.

Two regulars back in business: the year is looking up a bit.

John

20210130 (1)_Red_Fox.jpg

Last edited:

Farnboro John

Now she's back Rip is attending frequently: early evening, mid-evening and I have a feeling Maz is going to report later that she fed Rip first thing this morning.

Last night both Smudge (Rip and Big Whitey's cub from last year) and Scally (the usurper) also turned up to be fed. ID photos in due course.

So all four of our foxes have visited this year, though I suspect Big Whitey will be infrequent at best as he takes a fairly considerable risk by doing so given his now less than supreme status.

John

Farnboro John

I underestimated the number of "our" foxes, as last night we had a visit from the entire colony less the exiled Big Whitey: Rip, both of last years cubs, Smudge and Patch, and new dog fox Scally were all on the lawn at once, with a certain amount of tension between the three males.

John

Farnboro John

I underestimated the number of "our" foxes, as last night we had a visit from the entire colony less the exiled Big Whitey: Rip, both of last years cubs, Smudge and Patch, and new dog fox Scally were all on the lawn at once, with a certain amount of tension between the three males.

John
I underestimated the number of our foxes again, with up to five sitting on the lawn when I open the door of an evening over the weekend (and Big Whitey not among them) - the extra fox appears to be smaller than the males but I haven't managed to sex it yet: I also suspect its not part of the group as nobody seems to tolerate it. Fox wrangling at feeding time is becoming quite difficult....

John

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
Found this Bank Vole in the house probably brought in by the cat, safely released after a few photos. Apart from that locally a few fallow deer, muntjac and brown hares of note.

Attachments

• DSC_4556 (2).JPG
    DSC_4556 (2).JPG
    774.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_4542.JPG
    DSC_4542.JPG
    942.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread