• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Woody, I can't say anymore, it has already been said by everyone else!

The article was good and I am glad to hear you are having success with your work.

Wendy, I hope you get nice and healthy for the boon of wildlife art we will be expecting. What are you working on now (if you are working)?

Best
Beth

Just read your interview Mike and I'm most impressed. I agree that they could have shown some of your work but at least its a step forward. I have no doubt that you will earn a living from your painting one day, having seen some on the forum. Your paintings are superb and they deserve recognition. I wish you every success.

Woody, I can't say anymore, it has already been said by everyone else!

The article was good and I am glad to hear you are having success with your work.

Wendy, I hope you get nice and healthy for the boon of wildlife art we will be expecting. What are you working on now (if you are working)?

Best
Beth

Thanks Beth. I have been trying to work for a show at my gallery that runs throughout December but things have been a struggle due to ill health. Anyway I do seem to be getting over it and should be back on track soon.

Peter- Your work is really fabulous and Mike I missed the last issue of that prestigious publication so couldn't read the interview |=(| - hope the show goes well.

WOW!! Thank you so much for the great review and for purchasing In His Image! I am glad you enjoyed seeing my work. I wish there was a way to have an exhibition with the Bird Forum artists because I would love to see everybody's work live. It's too bad we're spread all over. If you get the chance you should head to the Avian Art Exhibition in Portland this August. I'll have a couple of paintings in the show and artists like Jay Johnson, Andrea Rich and David Kitler will be participating as well. I can't wait to see their work in the flesh! It should be very inspiring...

...stranger things have happened! Maybe some day when we are all established, wealthy artist living in quaint, remote locations full of birds we can organise a brat packian exhibition called "For the Birds!"

Seeing as this is open to anyone I'd thought I'd chip in.

I've always drawn birds but I'm not really an artist - tend to do pen & ink and coloured pencil (watercolour pencils as soft pencils).

Have tried painting in watercolour and acrylic but don't do it often enough to get it right! - similarly I don't do enough field sketching.

Was lucky enough to get to Kamchatka this year (with Steve Cale on the trip it shamed me into doing some drawing again) - hence the first pic.

The phalarope is one that turned up on the beach down the road from the house.

Any road see what you think.

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• stellers sketch_1.jpg
    stellers sketch_1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Wilson's Phal_1.jpg
    Wilson's Phal_1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 98
Good to have you on board, and certainly hope that you keep posting if this is just your introduction, the sense of design in the Wilson's is beautiful, but the Steller's Sea Eagle is the one that steals the show for me, unfussed, simple and strong. Wish I'd have drawn it, not just because I dream of seeing these birds, but simply because it's a fine piece of work. Looking forward to seeing more!

Agree with Nick- smashing work, show us some more. What's it like on the Outer Hebrides? Sounds wild ( and a bit chilly) and exciting and full of great wildlife.

Totally agree with all that's been said - the sea eagle is perfectly seen - wonderful simplicity to the drawing, and everything recorded to make an exciting and dynamic fully-fledged painting - so that's where I'd love to see you going next ;)
The phal is different again, yet another very nice drawing (I imagine this would go straight into the North Uist Bird Report, or its ilk?).
Great contribution Andrew - let's see some more????

Ta for all the positive comments, have to confess that some of my black & white stuff has been used in various UK Bird Reports over the years. I do tend to do more illustraterly-like (if that's a word) stuff.

Steller's should be renamed stellar - awesome bird - Steve Cale who I mentioned has some cracking sketches of the same bird with it's mate on the huge cliff they were on.

What are the Outer Hebs like - visually stunning on a good day (though it does get a bit breezy occasionally;)) and loads of wildlife, was distracted by 4 white-tailed eagles together on my way to the office this morning! You should check out Bill Neill's website - does loads of lovely wildlife and scenery watercolours of the Uists - he's another one who puts me to shame by being a real artist!

Anyway, a couple more from Kamchatka attached - sorry Tim still no paintings

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• snow bunting_1.jpg
    snow bunting_1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 87
  • fork-tailed petrel_1.jpg
    fork-tailed petrel_1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back