• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Paschalis,
Stunning again.
Do I recognise Mt. Olympos from one of those?
H

Yes, that's correct!
Olympus is actually the only mountainous area in Greece where Chamois
are protected from poaching due to the increasing numbers of hikers and mountain lovers.
Few infos to the other pictures now, beginning with the Dalmatian pelicans at the well known Kerkini Wetland, the Flamingos at Volvi Lake also in Northern Greece,
the admired waterfall is from Styga spring on mountain Helmos-Peloponnese peninsula-altitude 2100 m!, while the Black-winged Stilt searching for food
at Strofylia Wetland also on Peloponnese.
At least , in a very typical Mediterranean landscape, a Bonelli's eagle and two Eleonora's falcons flying over Karpathos island , in southern Aegean sea.
Hoping that I gave you enough geographical informations I'd like to thank you
all once again for your kind comments.

Paschalis

PS: By the way, they are all real miniatures having a size of 16 X 26 cm and painted in watercolour on paper.

My God, been away for a week and now need to put an afternoon aside just to catch up! All the work here is superb.
Paschalis, love it all, particularily the coloured Horse, the Great Grey Owl and the Thick Knees.
The Sparrow is tremendous too Peter, do wish you would paint more passerines, always magic when you do...
Mr Stevenson! Superb field work, love the eagle and the arizona page is just class, look forward to seeing more in the future...

Paschalis,
I hadn't recognized Karpathos - though I spent two weeks there a long time ago. Saw LOADS of Eleanora's there - superb place. (I also saw a large Eleonora's roost at Olympos - dozens of birds together flying up to roost on the mountain. Does that still happen?)
H

Paschalis,
I hadn't recognized Karpathos - though I spent two weeks there a long time ago. Saw LOADS of Eleanora's there - superb place. (I also saw a large Eleonora's roost at Olympos - dozens of birds together flying up to roost on the mountain. Does that still happen?)
H

This is the northern tip of the island depicted here,with the uninhabited islet
of Saria in background.
The roost at Olympos still exist, but only outside of the breeding season.
I know a person there who knows exactly the trees they roosting!
It is also possible to watch eleonora's , always outside of the breeding season,
far away from the coastal regions in mainland, on the Pindos mountains
hunting insects!
My today's contribution once again, fieldwork from the past.
Here is the first part ....

Attachments

• Black grouse.jpg
    Black grouse.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Black grouse.jpg1.jpg
    Black grouse.jpg1.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 81
  • Kaiseradler.jpg
    Kaiseradler.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Lawping.jpg
    Lawping.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
...and the second...

Attachments

• Pygmy owl.jpg
    Pygmy owl.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 88
  • Streifenmaus.jpg
    Streifenmaus.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 83
  • wood pigeon.jpg
    wood pigeon.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 86
  • zwergmaus.jpg2jpg.jpg
    zwergmaus.jpg2jpg.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 82
  • zwergmaus.jpg1.jpg
    zwergmaus.jpg1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 79
what can be said about such a high standard, I immediately went for the pygmy owl though, I live in hope of catching up with one here (supposedly 'common', yeah right!!) Stunning work.

I am starting to gear up to work for two shows next year. I have been invited to do one in the summer which has a working title of ' The coastal landscape of Wales' Boring |=o| - not the subject matter just the title. The other show is at my gallery at Easter and has a working title of 'Nature in art' but I know that is used elsewhere. Anyway the Easter show is mainly wildlife and is for gallery and invited artists and I was thinking of all the talent on the forum and this is an invite to any current professional artists who hang around here to put work in. I realize the actual getting of the work to me could be difficult but if you are interested in finding out more or can think of any exciting titles please PM me. That's the only mixing of business :scribe: with pleasure :-O I shall do- hope no one minds.

Going to post a couple of things in a minute - promise more birds next time.

Having problems uploading!

Last edited:
The first picture- with birds and the wonky horizon is a small oil. It's one of the first pictures I've done in the medium. Think I like it- going to mess around and experiment over the hols.

Attachments

• coast3.jpg
    coast3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 100
  • coast4.jpg
    coast4.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 94
  • coast5.jpg
    coast5.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 95
First time in oils???!!! It doesn't show! Yes, keep experimenting with them, wonderful results. The coastlines are superb as always, I could sit watching the sea crash against cliffs all day, which is why I sometimes hate being stuck in a landlocked part of France. Beautiful.

Wendy! - You really have to keep posting this work - absolutely divine! The small oil is incredibly well done - such confidence over a very tricky medium. The coastal cliff scenes are close to my heart - wonderful.
And - May I be the first to accept your generous offer of wall-space for your summer exhibition. I'm sure others will follow prety rapidly, too. Best of luck with both!

You can't take your eye off the ball for a minute on these forums without something wonderful happening!

Paschalis, your 'sketches' are so accomplished I don't think you'd ever need to complete another 'studio' painting to keep all of us enthralled again and again. My attention was immediately drawn to the pygmy owl just like Nick, so much character, and the lapwing is simply beautiful. One question, was the imperial eagle a captive bird?

Wendy, you've produced another set of adorable landscapes. Looks like you've been using oils for ages to me, I almost always end up with a muddy mess when I try anything in oils! My fave though is the third one, the wet sand is a triumph, outstanding! I quite fancy a paddle....

I'd also be interested in an easter exhibition, and, as Tim says, best of luck with your preparations as well as the shows themselves.

Woody

Paschalis, I agree with Woody. You could show us sketches for the rest of our lives and we would eat it up every time.

Wendy, love your paintings. I love the wonky horizon on the first one. Maybe it just reminds me how the coast looks to me sometimes...let's not comment on that one shall we? And the atmosphere you've given these paintings is really lovely.

How do you feel about 3-D art for the easter show?

Paschalis, I agree with Woody. You could show us sketches for the rest of our lives and we would eat it up every time.

Wendy, love your paintings. I love the wonky horizon on the first one. Maybe it just reminds me how the coast looks to me sometimes...let's not comment on that one shall we? And the atmosphere you've given these paintings is really lovely.

How do you feel about 3-D art for the easter show?

Would love some if you can get it to me!

Paschalis - top drawer as usual! and landscapes with water that looks wet - I envy folk who can get that to work!

Anyway here's a few more mostly ancient history from the early 1990s, and the nearest you'll get to a Christmas robin from me. Oh and inspired by that GG Owl sketch -a funny photo (!!) from a trip I had to Sweden a few years ago when one landed on my mates scope!

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• RF bluetail_1.jpg
    RF bluetail_1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 96
  • LEO_1.jpg
    LEO_1.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Melodious warbler_1.jpg
    Melodious warbler_1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 84
  • PE_1.jpg
    PE_1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 90
  • ggo on scope.jpg
    ggo on scope.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 99
something magical about those peregrines, but I love them all. Must have been quite an experience to have the owl perched on a scope like that, the last time I left a scope at any distance I turned round to find some Chinese students using it thinking it was 'public'. Oh well, I let them carry on anyway. Top drawer stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back