• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Some amazing work on here over christmas, and now I'm back at work I should have time to comment again!

Peter, I'd not seen a corn on the cob necked grouse before, what a creature and what a painting! (And don't worry, we won't tell anyone that you slipped in a lovely dog study).

Paschalis your 'sketches' continue to take my breath away, brilliant work.

All the best for 2008 to all the readers of this excellent thread.

Mike

Help Needed!!!

My painting "Evening Sprig" (below) has been selected as a finalist for the 2009 Ducks Unlimited International Artist of the Year competition. The winner will be chosen by online voting that runs through Feb 15th. You can click here to view the paintings and to place your vote. There are some great paintings up for the award and you can vote as many times as you want. Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Attachments

• evening sprig3.1small.jpg
    evening sprig3.1small.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 83
I've had a look, voted for yours, not because I know you, but because yours is the only one that looks natural, and no way EVER would I vote for posing dogs and children and dead ducks, yuck! Beautiful piece you've done there, the other 'atmospheric' pics have tried to put too much zing in them or too much photographic effects, yours is the only onethat is beautiful, evocative and feels like watching ducks. Great stuff, and all the best for the competition.

Wow!!

I've just discovered this thread. There's some real talent here.

My other half did his fine art degree at Bootle, Liverpool (where John Lennon attended briefly) but has spent his life as a 'jobbing' artist doing Sign Writing, Effects ,Murals and Trompe l'oeils with some canvasses/art work for a pub chain in Norway called 'Dirty Nellys' thrown in here and there!

This meant he had little time to devote to his beloved wildlife but now he has started an Honours degree in Wildlife Photography.

Here're a couple of the sketches he managed to find time for.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/curioskit10/reedbunting.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/curioskit10/nuthatch.jpg

Here's a detail of a canvass he did for the pub chain in Norway. He had to copy photos of the management and locals.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/curioskit10/DIRTYNELCLOSEUPPAINTING.jpg

Here's a water damaged listed Art Deco mural from the Hotel Borg in Rekjavik, Iceland. From the first image he was sent he had to paint a canvass (with gold leaf) to place over the original. Unfortunately he painted it here and it was sent on by ship! So we've never seen Iceland yet....

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/curioskit10/waterdamage.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/curioskit10/reproductionreykjavik.jpg

Glad you found us all here Pat, welcome to the art section. Very talented other half you got there, when he gets the time to do some more, would love to see them.

To post thumbnails, click on 'go advanced' at the foot of the page, on that page there is the option 'manage attachments', where you can upload them.

all the best, Nick

Cheers Nick!

I take it you live in France! My sister is an artist too - she lives 'en Bretagne' - La Chapelle Blanche. It sounds quite good until you translate and then images of Jack the Ripper come to mind!!!3:)

Her web site - http://pagesperso-orange.fr/artistsmock/pages/CAROLINE.htm

OH is up to his eyes in the photography at the moment but he's thinking of doing some combinations of art/photography. We haven't even got a web site off the ground yet - it was all very sudden and completely life changing from having our own business to student!

My painting "Evening Sprig" (below) has been selected as a finalist for the 2009 Ducks Unlimited International Artist of the Year competition. The winner will be chosen by online voting that runs through Feb 15th. You can click here to view the paintings and to place your vote. There are some great paintings up for the award and you can vote as many times as you want. Thanks and Happy New Year!!

One more fantastic atmospheric composition Peter!
I`ve just voted also for yours-wishing you success- the reasons already mentioned!
It's about time for my first new year contribution now, the first plate in a series
of illustrations depicting the various subspecies of the Goshawk in Palearctic.
This one presents colour variations of the "buteoides"subspecies, and there are two more plates to follow until March.

Happy and healthy new year everybody!

Paschalis

Attachments

• Goshawk plate 1.jpg
    Goshawk plate 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 90
Paschalis - That's a very humbling website you have there!

The wildlife illustrators that my husband is at college with would no doubt aspire to be this good.

He has found it quite inspirational too! Let's hope he starts to paint more as well as study wildlife photography.

Another vote from me, Peter. Really, your painting is best hands down for all the reasons already mentioned. You are just more capable of capturing a moment (and the right moment at that) and the atmosphere that gives it life.
Good luck!

Nice plate Paschalis. I can't wait to see more!

By the way, I am still out here at least thinking of doing some work. My studio is almost complete as a working environment(not that not having a studio every stopped me before). Unfortunately, I decided to go through all my photos of birds, nature etc and categorize everything into nice neat little folders. The floor is covered. I will post pictures as soon as I've got things picked up.

Best to all and Happy New year!B :)
Beth

Best of luck with the comp Peter, I can't vote at work but I'll cast one your way when I get home, same reasons as the others. Your work always has so much atmosphere, like being there.

Welcome on board Pat, your other half's wildlife work is great, tell him not to neglect it in favour of photography entirely. I also love your sister's work, the urban landscape stuff is great and who doesn't love a nude!?

Paschalis, that is just fantastic work again, I have run out of superlatives...

Mike (The artist formerly known as Woody!)

My First Painting of the New Year

Here is a new painting in progress that I have been working on since the start of the new year. There still is more detail to come in the geese, water and habitat...

Attachments

• canada geese.jpg
    canada geese.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 84
  • canada geese1.jpg
    canada geese1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back