• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Thanks all and Nick perhaps you should give them a shot. I used to think they were smelly and horrible but the alkyds are great and you can now buy low odour and non odour white spirit from places like B+Q dead cheap. I use that for washing the brushes and diluting the paint :t:

finally got around to doing some new stuff, here's the latest offering - not as atmospheric as the greenshank.

cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• RL Kitt_1.jpg
    RL Kitt_1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 90
Ahhh! - Colour! yet retaining that intrinsic beauty you've developed using the tight hatching technique. It's very lovely (and very marketable, I'd suspect!).
Great work, thanks.

RL Kittiwake is high on my list of birds I want to see - I want to see all the cute gulls, even more now, lovely picture that's got a lot of attitude in the bird.

Peter, these painting a day studies continue to delight, they make me feel guilty for not painting every day though!

Wendy, the shank painting is a cracker, exceptional use of tone and restricted palette. More, more, more!

Andrew, excellent colour work, and, I'd agree with Tim, very marketable indeed.

Mike

Now you've done it, Peter. If I wasn't completely certain that I was sick of winter, those four are the nail in the coffin. I want my swallows back!

Great work Peter (as usual) and totally agree with Jomo - anything which suggests summertime is a hit with me atthe moment.
20,000 views of the best thread on BirdForum!!!!!!!
Well done guys!

Peter, you are amazing of course. And I agree with Jomo and Tim. I am now very ready for summer, or at least spring.

Wendy, like what others said, I think you have really done an amazing job with these bird landscapes. And the greenshanks is superb. Keep those oils going. I have some oils that sound similar to what you have, but I can use water to dilute them if I want. Are they evil? Or can I use them free of guilt? ;)

Andrew, really lovely detailed work.

Peter, you are amazing of course. And I agree with Jomo and Tim. I am now very ready for summer, or at least spring.

Wendy, like what others said, I think you have really done an amazing job with these bird landscapes. And the greenshanks is superb. Keep those oils going. I have some oils that sound similar to what you have, but I can use water to dilute them if I want. Are they evil? Or can I use them free of guilt? ;)

Andrew, really lovely detailed work.

I haven't used them. I don't think they are evil but have been told that they can take about 10 days to dry which wouldn't suit me. I don't really see the point of them now you can buy low odour solvent so cheaply.

a big thumbs up for the swallows Peter, I love these birds, even if I did once spend a fortnight cleaning up their poo in a hide, they were great to have around, this brings back a few memories.

Really looking forward to the swallows returning this year, always have to duck them as they fly into the nests in the toilets at elmley.

Mike

Spent three hours in a bog on Sunday!- well on the edge of it- and was rewarded by seeing my first short eared owls. We watched a pair of them for about an hour and a half- they were truly amazing. I tried to draw them- failed dismally but did manage some photos. I have done some quick drawings of them from the screen to try and 'get to know them'- I know they aren't up to much but it is a start and I am going to find time to read my 'Birds in flight ' book, do some more drawing and put them in a picture. It's not too late for resolutions is it? They are like giant moths |:d|

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 88
  • owls 1.jpg
    owls 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 90
Well done Wendy, they're such fantastic birds, one of my absolute favourites, and you've got to know them very well with these studies, they're excellent. Certainly hope that you'll be treating us to a landscape with them in.

These are lovely Wendy just remember in flight the wing line comes upand goes across the shoulder and back.
You certainly got the jizz of the Barn owls

Love them Wendy. S-e Owls are just perfect fling machines and, via photos or not, you've got them here just perfectly. Actually to have even snapped them in such positions is commendable, so well done there, but the drawings have retained the inherant 'life' of the bird - there was obviously a lot of remembered knowledge in the drawings to make them so convincing. Tip top.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back