• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Oh nice, Chris - so difficult to get the detail in the blacks, but you've accomplished it! Lovely design and attitude of the bird - details of the 'hard' parts, beak etc., perfectly done. I, personally, would be well chuffed with this. Excellent!

I agree, black is almost impossible to get as good as this - and yellow is a personal nightmare of mine, beautiful pic.

I thought they were 4"x4" ie inches, feet would be 4'x4'. But now Peter, I think 4x4 foot would be a better challenge, these small ones must be too easy by now!

Nick I did realize they were in inches , It was just massive wishfull
thinking on my part. Just wish I could paint faster!

Pete keep these miniture's coming they are lovely to look at
:t:

Thanks Tim, Nick and Jomo...appreciate the feedback...Jomo - you might have to come out for a visit - I can certainly promise you yellow heads...lol

Chris, there is a very nice Audubon quality to the painting. Great stuff!!

Here is it's counterpart - today's painting of a redwing blackbird...

Attachments

• Redwing Blackbird.jpg
    Redwing Blackbird.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Saw this in your gallery post Peter - I can certainly see how you were attracted to the light and those wing patches...you've captured both perfectly

I love to walk late in the evenings here in the summertime. Just as the sun goes down in a red blaze of glory - if I'm lucky...one of these beauties flits across the road in front of me and the wing patches explode in a brilliant flash of fluorescent orange - absolutely stunning!

Thanks for the feedback - I think that's my third 'Audubon' comparison...I'm beginning to sense a trend here!!!

3 1/2 weeks 'til the boys are due back (and they're rarely off schedule). This one will have to tide me over until then, Peter!

Peter those mini pics are fantastic - you forget how good red-wings are cause they are so common.

A worked up sketch of a local buzzard drying off after a bath from last week, is my humble offering after seeing Peter and hunterpaul's recent stuff.

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• buzzard drying off_1.jpg
    buzzard drying off_1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 95
A little scribble of the bog (mid week break to mid wales bog) done in the bog and a few birds seen - from photos. I will get out and paint more this year but I think it will be mainly landscape. Can't do birds unless they agree to sit still for me! There was a heronry overlooking the bog and it was fabulous seeing them all flying in to roost. Lots of red kites too- haven't got round to painting any yet but I will- quite fancy painting the bog with kites overhead.

Attachments

• corsc4.jpg
    corsc4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 87
  • corsc3.jpg
    corsc3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 81
  • corsc2.jpg
    corsc2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 81
  • corsc1.jpg
    corsc1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 83
Love the buzz Andrew - and I'd love to be able to use that pen in the same way as you do - excellent.
Another lovely set of watercolours Wendy - the heron in flight is a beaut - I'm particularly taken by it as I have just finished a panel with one in flight and I wished you had posted this a few days earlier for me to refer to (mine was a complete aberation).

lots of wonderful stuff to see again. Andrew, love the buzzard, one of the most difficult things to get right is half spread wings, you've got the form spot on. Wendy, superb herons, and that landscape with a hint of kite brings back memories of Wales. Excellent all round.

Andrew- The crosshatching style is awesome and to do it on a buzzard with that pose takes incredible skill!
Wendy- Thank you for sharing the watercolors - I love 'em!! Do you have a website of your landscapes?

Another daily painting, a 4"x4" Burrowing Owl...

Attachments

• Burrowing Owl.jpg
    Burrowing Owl.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 88
I just found out some really exciting news... I don't know if you all recall but my painting, Evening Sprig, was up for a big award and many of you voted. Well it paid off!!! :D:D It has won the 2009 Ducks Unlimited International Artist of the Year competition. Thank you all for voting!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back