• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Congratulations, it was a clear winner, I got the impression that the other competitors had only seen a wetland from photos an had none of the feeling for it that your painting had. Excellent news, and a fabulous burrowing owl.

Well - first things first! FANTASTIC NEWS PETER - a really thoroughly deserved award and echo Nick's comment, your painting puts the viewer absolutely in the field with the birds. A truly excellent achievement and richly deserved.
Love the burrowing Owl pic and I can't believe I didn't comment on the blackbird - another masterful painting at such an intimate scale - terrific talent, young man!!!!
Here's a link to a really very good landscape painter who's also rather wonderful at birds too! (Sorry Wendy, i know you'd be too modest to post this so I have instead http://www.bridge-gallery.co.uk )

Thanks guys! I actually went to the link for the bridge-gallery today and saw both Wendy's work and Nick's work. Great stuff and a great website!! I signed up for the newsletter too... can't wait to get it:)

Wendy - lovely watercolours - the heron in flight is very good - can't wait to see the bog painting with or without kites!!

Peter - that is fantastic news - your painting deserved to win!! Well Done You! Oh and I love the burrowing owl too - I just stumbled across a half finished one that I did ages ago and never did get around to finishing - maybe I'll have another go...

I'm off to follow the link and see more of Wendy's and Nick's work for myself!!

I'm back...

Here's a painting I did earlier this evening (finished it about half an hour ago) and a sketch of a siskin I did about a month back. I havent done any painting for a while before this evening and i'd forgotten how nice it is to do one.
The painting is of a male lesser spotted woodpecker I saw at the weekend for less then a minute, so unable to take any photo's I immortilised the moment in watercolour and watered down acrylic.
The siskin was inspired from a big flock i saw feeding.

All done from photo's unfortunately.

Peter-What can I say? If there was a doffing cap in respect smilie then i would use it. What your doing is fantastic and I am envious of your talent.

Attachments

• DSCF3854.jpg
    DSCF3854.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF3860.jpg
    DSCF3860.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 83
Peter-What can I say? If there was a doffing cap in respect smilie then i would use it. What your doing is fantastic and I am envious of your talent.

Couldn't have said it better me-sel! (Quick, let's get the copyright on a 'doffing-cap' smillie!!!!)

Steve - the design you've created in the lesser-pecker (although everyone knows it's actually a fictitious bird!!!) is superb. If I may offer a word of encouragement? - look to Nick Derry and the way he will re-work his compositions (somewhat like a dog with a bone, occasionally) until all avenues are explored. I think you have a super comp. with the tri-limb of the tree and the peck bottom right, so maybe a tad more detail in the darks and whites of the bird and see what we get?

Well - first things first! FANTASTIC NEWS PETER - a really thoroughly deserved award and echo Nick's comment, your painting puts the viewer absolutely in the field with the birds. A truly excellent achievement and richly deserved.
Love the burrowing Owl pic and I can't believe I didn't comment on the blackbird - another masterful painting at such an intimate scale - terrific talent, young man!!!!
Here's a link to a really very good landscape painter who's also rather wonderful at birds too! (Sorry Wendy, i know you'd be too modest to post this so I have instead http://www.bridge-gallery.co.uk )

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS Peter so well deserved. I have registered on your blog/website to receive an image of your daily paintings- don't want to miss one!

And Tim - you're right it is a bit of modesty o:) ;) but also I enjoy the forum as a sort of escape from 'the world of work' . But having said that ! if you didn't see my earlier posting there is an open invitation for any professional artist currently posting here to put work in the upcoming 'Painting Nature ' show at the gallery next month. It was mentioned last year that it would be nice to show work together so here is one chance- PM me . If anyone is interested we could do something together later in the year as well ???

Rising to a challenge from Tim, I'm posting a couple of sketches. Not done much bird sketching and I want to develop the ability to sketch from life and not just from photos.

All help and suggestions welcome!

Des.

Attachments

• Web SNV30149.jpg
    Web SNV30149.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Web SNV30150.jpg
    Web SNV30150.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 81
Well if this is a first attempt I'd be absolutely chuffed to bits! The bottom ltt is a little stunner - no more to add!
Keep at it Des - excellent start.

Well if this is a first attempt I'd be absolutely chuffed to bits! The bottom ltt is a little stunner - no more to add!
Keep at it Des - excellent start.

Cheers Tim & Zac.

Not first attempt as such, but done from photos which I'd love to break away from.

Another I tried this morning (at least the photo was taken by me this time!).

Attachments

• Web SNV30151.jpg
    Web SNV30151.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 85
Couldn't have said it better me-sel! (Quick, let's get the copyright on a 'doffing-cap' smillie!!!!)

Steve - the design you've created in the lesser-pecker (although everyone knows it's actually a fictitious bird!!!) is superb. If I may offer a word of encouragement? - look to Nick Derry and the way he will re-work his compositions (somewhat like a dog with a bone, occasionally) until all avenues are explored. I think you have a super comp. with the tri-limb of the tree and the peck bottom right, so maybe a tad more detail in the darks and whites of the bird and see what we get?

Cheers Tim for the words of encouragement, how do I go about getting texture in the black and whites though?, beaks are also my major problem, do you have any tips on how to draw them properly?

cheers :t:

I think you've definitely got something going with the quick blocking in you've done with your long-tailed tits. Now just to give it a go on the real thing! But it's not a bad idea to get familiar with your subjects through photos first, either. You're going to be filling in a lot of blanks when you move on to living birds.

Des-
Those are great... you are well on your way! The detail in the thrush is wonderful.

here are a couple of paintings... the first one is a commissioned painting that is similar to an older one called Greenwing Reflections, although the photo isn't great and the second one is a daily painting of a meadowlark singing.

Attachments

• gwcommiss1.jpg
    gwcommiss1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Meadowlark.jpg
    Meadowlark.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 87
Wendy and Nick - really enjoyed looking at your work via the gallery link - thanks for posting it Tim!

Peter - the hooded merganser is very good - love the movement and the light in water...

Steve - both the lsw and the siskin are excellent!

Oh and Des - keep sketching - the drawings are looking good so far - stop worrying about how you're coming up with subjects to begin with - I use to draw/copy Bateman and Brender paintings long before I got around to working from anything that actually moved :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back